Cooler Master’s MasterBox TD500L shines with an inner fire

Tempered glass looks pretty, but the material doesn't lend itself to complex three-dimensional shapes. Cooler Master has therefore chosen acrylic for the dramatically-styled "diamond cut design" front and side panels of its MasterBox TD500L ATX chassis. The entire side panel is made from the transparent plastic and attaches using four thumbscrews, like many cases with tempered glass side panels.

The MasterBox TD500L is designed to fit ATX motherboards up to 10.7" (27 cm) wide, though microATX and Mini-ITX boards will also fit. The maximum graphics card length is listed at a generous 16.1" (41 cm). Cooler Master says a 7.5"-long (19 cm) ATX power supply can fit within the partial-length shroud. Pack rats can cram in a pair of 3.5" drives and two 2.5" devices. Each of the 3.5" bays can hold a pair of 2.5" drives instead.

Luddites like me that get apprehensive about conductive liquids in close proximity to expensive electronics can fit air coolers as tall as 6.5 (16.6 cm). Additionally, they can mount a pair of 140-mm fans to both the front and top panels, and a 120-mm rotating air mover to the back of the case. Builders that have embraced liquid cooling can pack a 280- or 360-mm radiator behind the front panel, a 240-mm unit to the top, and another 120-mm heat exchanger to the back panel.

Cooler Master didn't provide any pricing or availability information for the MasterBox TD500L. The manufacturer backs the chassis with a two-year warranty.

Plastic is better than glass. I’m so sick of heavy, brittle tempered glass everywhere.

Now someone just needs to make the attachment method better. I mean, people must like glass for the smooth lines right? They sure don’t like it for its low cost, EM-shielding properties, or low weight – so why does everyone attatch it with FOUR BUTT-UGLY BOLTS?

Do you see four bolts through every window in your house? No.
    Do you see four bolts every car windshield? No.
    Do you see four bolts on every photo frame in your house? No.

Apparently, we need four ugly bolts in every glass case panel for the PC industry though, because DAYUM SON it’s [i<]industrial[/i<], or something... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• MOSFET

I don’t disagree with you 🙂 For some unknown reason, I like following the case journey almost as much as the CPU/GPU/SSD journey. Even though it’s not a typical performance part, it’s a key part of long-term build happiness. My thoughts on your thoughts.

I have two windowed cases. One is my main home PC, a Corsair Graphite 600T white edition from ~May 2011. It has a relatively tiny acrylic window in its massive metal side panel. You really don’t get a good glimpse of the PC inside, if that is what one is after. The case is beyond way too large for a midtower – it’s too large for a CaseLabs. However, it’s offered tremendous flexibility over the years. The acrylic is indeed lighter than glass, metal, or other plastics like ABS.

At work, I recently built in a [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811854057<]Phanteks Enthoo Evolv[/url<] Anthracite Gray Aluminum, Tempered Glass, Steel Chassis. It's one awesome case, and heavy with much thicker metal and glass than I was expecting. This particular case uses hinges at the back and magnets at the front to secure the tempered glass doors (yes, I was also surprised that the right side "back side" of the case also had a tempered glass door, but it makes it easy to mess with SATA and power cables). So no bulky screws. It's still a large case, but not as oversized as the average Corsair. Looking at it, though, you would never guess that it's a mATX case. Another glass benefit - I'm know nothing of its EMI shielding properties, but it's sure a winner on sound-blocking properties. The new SeaSonic Focus PSU in that Phanteks case has terrible coil whine, but the case's glass door shields the noise from my work area perfectly. Open the case door and ears start bleeding. Now that that's out of the way 🙂 Windshields don't need to be regularly removed to service the inside of the vehicle. Photo frames don't have bolts, but instead annoying tabs with a finite lifespan, and don't secure the interior components very well. I guess most manufacturers haven't figured out hinges and magnets yet, but there are alternatives to bolts. For cases, black butyl and flimsy tabs are hopefully not coming soon. And ya know, technically those are screws.

You know why you don’t see bolts everywhere there’s glass? Because it’s glued into a frame window frame or a recess where the windshield goes. Are you asking for case manufacturers to glue the glass into place?

Picture frames are a poor comparison because you’re intentionally blocking the glass right under the surface. Maybe we should put glass under the motherboard, then?

Yes. I’m asking the case manufacturers to glue a steel frame to the inside of the glass panel that has lugs or whatever system they choose to attach the panel to the case.

It doesn’t need to be four ugly bolts which is the least attractive option for a glass panel – chosen, presumably, for its aesthetics. I mean, CoolerMaster have gone to the extra effort to subtly flush-mount the top vent mesh with the case lines. It seems like wasted effort when the ugly bolts still ruin the lines of the case.

I think the very best you could possibly hope for is four captive screws that might be flush but still stick out like a sore thumb.

• DrCR

Clearly the bolts serve as radar reflectors.

• DPete27

Lemme get this straight. The front of the case can hold up to 3 – 120mm or 2 – 140mm fans. That air passes around the edges of the acrylic front panel to get into the case. I don’t have a lot of experience with acrylic panels, but I always thought of them as dust magnets. Is this a disaster waiting to happen? Am I being too paranoid?

[Add] I’ve always given a pass to acrylic side panels because they typically don’t have any moving air going through/around them (that isn’t already filtered air inside the case)

• Neutronbeam

Nice to see a lighter alternative to glass, which I’m always afraid will break. Been waiting to see more Lucite, Lexan or something else used for transparent windows.