PC Building Simulator offers a reprieve from the component-pricing blues

The Irregular Corporation's PC Building Simulator really couldn't come at a better time for PC building enthusiasts. Sky-high prices for graphics cards and system memory, together with sometimes-limited power supply availability, have made building real-life high-performance system pretty painful. Enter simulated systems building.

The game has three different modes with unique aims. The "how to build a PC" helps prospective builders simulate the PC assembly process so they can recognize potential pitfalls and figure out an efficient order of operations. The "Free Build" mode lets more experienced enthusiasts simulate the construction of a fully-custom rig with an unlimited budget. The simulator's career mode lets players run their own virtual custom-PC and repair business. That mode doesn't appear to include an option to "beat the stupid" GTA-style out of clients that refuse to listen, but maybe future patches can add that stress-relieving feature.

PC Building Simulator contains virtual versions of components from several high-profile vendors, including AMD, Cooler Master, Corsair, EVGA, Gigabyte, NZXT, MSI, and others.

One does need an already-built PC to play the PC Building Simulator, but luckily the hardware requirements are modest. The developers recommend at least an Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD Athlon X4 740 to go along with an AMD Radeon R9 285 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 graphics card with 2 GB of video memory. PC Building Simulator is currently on sale for $18, 10% off the regular price of $20.

• ottojschlosser

For pure GPM (grins per minute) this is my favorite TR comment section ever. Well done, all.

• jensend

What’s this? 40 comments and no Xzibit Yo Dawg memes?

My PC doesn’t meet the system requirements – so I guess I’d have to build a PC to build a PC

• deputy dawg

I’m just imagining building a PC with Surgeon Simulator style controls…

• drfish

Sounds like opening a pistachio with QWOP-style controls.

• Anovoca

For some reason my mind went here: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LzVfhDbhso[/url<] (nsfw)

• moose17145

So when I first saw this, I thought it was pretty stupid.

But then I ended up watching a youtube video of someone playing it, and then thought “Dang… this would actually be pretty good for teaching someone how to build a PC who is really nervous about taking something like that on!”

No joke… you actually have to remove screws for the side panels (if the case you selected has screws for the side panel), you have to screw in and hook up the power supply and all of it’s various connectors, install the motherboard standoffs, apply thermal paste, etc. All in all it is actually a shockingly accurate little simulation, so I need to give some high props to that.

Honestly, for what it is, it would be a great little tool for either pre-building a PC with specific components, to see what it would look like in a certain case, or for helping teach people how to build a PC to get them a bit more comfortable with the idea and the process before doing the actual thing.

If you guys have no actually looked at any videos of anyone playing it, I highly recommend you do, and you will see what I am talking about.

Full disclosure, I have not purchased this, nor do I intend to. But I still need to give some credit on the amount of work and accuracy that went into this.

• DPete27

I could see high schools using this software for a mini-unit. The benefits of having a realistic simulation and an unlimited budget would be perfect for that situation.

• UberGerbil

NewEgg should sponsor a free version that enables you to buy the build, but only from NewEgg.

• drfish

Reminds me of way back in the day when I had the idea that NewEgg should add a button that generates BB code from your shopping cart so you could post your build plans in forums easier. This was way before PC Part Picker came along…

• Mystiq

It would have been hilarious if the 1080 Ti was like $10 DLC or something cuz then I could say, “fuck this card, I can’t even afford it in a game.”

Also, I wonder how good the fire effects are.

• DPete27

All joking aside, someone definitely put a fair amount of effort into this visually. I’ll applaud that.

• Welch

Someone couldn’t afford to build a PC, so they made the game to dupe you out of your cash so you could build a virtual PC, so they can build a real PC….

• excession

This… this is a real thing?

Do I not get this because I’m British or something?!

• Welch

The cultural divide is not the cause of your confusion, this is just plain stupid.

• Liron

It’s not a real thing.

It’s a virtual thing.

• morphine

Keep calm and build your PC.

• caconym

A historical mode for this could be interesting. Offer some 80’s and 90’s DLC, with matching decor/music.

• Growler

Can we skin our virtual knuckles on burrs and sharp edges? Bleeding used to be a familiar rite during the build process.

• Welch

So long as you can bleed to death or lose enough blood to not see straight. Or have to bandage yourself and drink Mtn Dew to restore your health to continue with the build.

• ludi

“Combat mode” will be a $2.99 DLC. Just to put you in the right mood.

• bthylafh

I made it a habit to anoint the case with some of my blood if I got cut, on the theory that it’d make the thing work better.

• kvndoom

Blood sacrifices were often required for successful overclocks.

• Ethyriel

I just want to take a dremel to a beige Addtronics 7890A all over again.

• bhtooefr

And add some 70’s DLC, for S-100 bus systems, too.

And even combine eras! Build your new AMD K6-III+ system with a pair of Voodoo2s into an IBM XT case! Break out the Dremel and build a watercooled Threadripper system into an old InWin Q700.

• Concupiscence

Aww, yeah! Just think of the fun we could have breaking the young with:

* SIPP memory sticks
      * observing gold/silver contact and SIMM edge matching
      * capacitor plague
      * jumpers, jumpers everywhere, oh god, where’s the sheet I use to keep up with all this thing’s hardware resource assignments
      * COAST – that’s right, it’s Cache On A STick
      * multiple socketed pin chips for installing L2 cache
      * master/slave/cable select drive configuration
      * Sound Blaster (in)compatibility
      * VESA 2.0 support
      * separate socketed floating point units
      * pre-ZIF socket CPU installation
      * buggy initial PCI implementations without support for bus mastering
      * proprietary OEM hardware, just different enough from the standard that you HAVE to order from Compaq/HP/Packard Bell/Satan

Those are just the things that burble to mind…

• bthylafh

AT motherboard power connectors that could be clipped in backwards and fry everything.

• caconym

I nuked a motherboard, HDD, and FDD simultaneously by plugging the floppy’s un-keyed power connector in backwards.

That was on my first-ever self-build too. I’m amazed I ever worked up the nerve to try it again.

• rika13

No mention of MCA/PCI/ISA?

• Concupiscence

Why stop there? EISA and VLB deserve to be remembered, too.

• jihadjoe

lol SIPPs. I remember having a chip puller and putting in the memory chips one by one into XT and AT machines. The mom and pop store I went to had the chips stored in a long transparent tube so people wouldn’t bend the pins browsing them.

• kvndoom

Makes me sad to realize that I had encountered everything on your list.

• BurntMyBacon

Ah, LIF sockets were such a nice improvement over standard IC sockets … until I realized that motherboard manufacturers were using them as a cost cutting measure. ZIF sockets came out about the same time, but didn’t get widely implemented until later. I spent a lot of time unbending pins (and trying to tease the chip back in the socket) from friends and family that tried to insert 386, 387, and 486 chips too quickly, not carefully enough, and with too much force.

Can we get some love for old printers as well? Oh, the old dot matrix printers and their loud grating operation noise. Don’t forget to turn the ribbon when the ink starts fading.

• Wirko

Matching music = made by Epson/Star/Fujitsu/Okidata (user choice), 9- or 24-pin (user choice)

• heinsj24

Yay! I could relive inserting 36 SRAM chips all over again.

It would need the option to RLL your MFM drive – in real time.

• Concupiscence

Even better: integrate PCem or another low-level, accuracy-focused emulator so you can build the PC, then *use it* with performance and hardware capabilities accurately simulated.

• Pancake

I’d want to build my dream CP/M 2.2 rig with 8080A CPU and 64KB RAM cards on an S100 chassis with twin hard-sectored 8″ floppies. Visual 300 terminal running at 9600 baud for code editing. Got everything a man needs.

• simbant

Can I simulatledy mine?

• flptrnkng

Graphics cards, DDR4 memory, and SSD/NVME drives are Day 0 paid DLC.

• jihadjoe

Will the DLC cost as much as the real thing?

• UberGerbil

This is four days early.

• drfish

Fur what?

• Kretschmer

April Fools’ Day! Imagine not selling any of your product, because all of your potential customers think that it’s a prank…

• drfish

[url=https://techreport.com/discussion/31384/fractal-design-fur-e-case-reviewed?post=1029490#1029490<]Psst...[/url<]

• Wirko

Already writing a simulated e-mail to simulated AMD asking them to send me a simulated free APU so I can flash the simulated BIOS on the simulated motherboard because it doesn’t seem to like the simulated Ryzen-G chip. Or … should I have bought simulated DIMMs? I got simulated SODIMMs, they cost me fewer simulated dollars.

• chuckula

Yes, but does the simulated PC run as fast as the real version would?

• DeadOfKnight

Can I put a virtual machine on my virtual machine?

• Neutronbeam

And can it run simulated Crysis?

• trackerben

You mean, will it start bloating up and slowing down like a real PC would?

• CuttinHobo

Yes, thanks to the power of MMX technology!

• bthylafh

Tell me someone’s already made a sim-shark jumping game.