The Odyssey Z is Samsung’s fastest gaming laptop

Samsung launched its Odyssey series of gaming laptops last year. While they look like nice machines, the graphics options topped out at a GeForce GTX 1050, probably leaving some gamers unsatified. The company's latest gaming laptop, the Odyssey Z, takes a leap toward high-end gaming performance by stepping up to a GeForce GTX 1060.

The GeForce in question has 6 GB of GDDR5 memory. Samsung calls it a "Max-P" variation, but we checked in with Nvidia and were told that that's not an official designation—it's just a regular GTX 1060. The graphics chip is paired with a six-core Core i7 CPU that must be either a Core i7-8750H or a Core i7-8850H. That's a not a poor pairing for a laptop that's only 0.7" (18 mm) thick.

All that hardware stays cool thanks to a custom design that Samsung calls Z AeroFlow. Two "Z Blade" blowers are fed by intakes on the bottom and top of the machine and shove air across a vapor chamber venting out the notebook's sides. Given the amount of airflow on hand, this machine likely isn't quiet, but Samsung says there's a silent mode available via a shortcut key that will limit fan noise to sub-audible levels.

In a machine with this kind of power we'd like to see a 144 Hz display, but Samsung doesn't specify anything beyond that it's a 15.6" screen with 1920×1080 resolution. The system will be sold with up to 16 GB of DDR4 memory, and storage options are exclusively NVMe SSDs up to 1 TB in capacity. The press release doesn't spare any words for the Odyssey Z's battery life, but given the hardware on offer and the 54-WHr juice pack, we'd expect it to be reasonable outside of gaming workloads.

External connectivity on the Odyssey Z comprises a USB 3.0 Type-C port, two USB 3.0 Type-A ports, a USB 2.0 connector, an HDMI output, and a 3.5-mm headphone-mic combo jack. The images also show an Ethernet port, even though Samsung doesn't list it in the Odyssey Z's specifications. The company didn't talk pricing, but says that its fastest gaming laptop to date will be available in the US in the third quarter of this year.

• Blytz

Samsung – our phones are faster and cheaper and more blingy.

• Kretschmer

A flagship with USB 2.0?

Hahahahahahaha….no.

• PrincipalSkinner

I like that maintenance manhole above the keyboard.

• leor

I just don’t understand who would want this given other choices available. Some really strange decisions on this one.

Well at least it’s not 1366×768 TN like the rest of Samsung’s janky laptop screens.

• chuckula

They say it’s what’s on the inside that counts.
    But even mobile Threadripper couldn’t make these things pretty.

• Voldenuit

Ouch, that is indeed very fugly.

However, what concerns me is that they are announcing a GTX 1060 notebook, one which is presumably at the top of their product stack, for release in Q3 2018.

Does that mean we won’t be seeing Turing/Ampere before then?

• NoOne ButMe

Even if Turing/Ampere launches the same month as this goes live, there is still probably another 4-5 months until a GTX 1060 replacement hits. Based on the timeline of the 10 series, 900 series, 600 series.
      And I am guessing a another 1-3 months for mobile parts to hit.

Which are the three series which:
      didn’t have node screw ups (400 series) and were all new die for the midrange and high end parts (which discounts the 700 series).

• tipoo

That looks like if someone looked at a cheap wal mart laptop cooler and thought “what if this /was/ the laptop?”, at least from the bottom.

I mean, if it means exemplary thermals then I guess, but it seems extravagant for a 1060. I suppose it’s for that silent mode.

• swaaye

Yeah most of the 1060 notebooks I look up seem to have fan noise that is more than a little irritating. It’s like > 75W ?

• RAGEPRO

Mobile GTX 1060 TDP is 85W, desktop card is 120W. Max-Q version is 65W.

• Voldenuit

My GTX 1080 Max Q laptop (Asus GX501) is quieter under load than my water cooled gaming desktop.

Then again, I undervolted and liquid-metal’ed it, but I also did that to my desktop.

• swaaye

ASUS’s big notebooks are some of the few quiet ones.

• Voldenuit

Well, I haven’t had any experience with their bigger laptops, but my GX501 is 0.7″ thick and 4.9 lbs, and I was impressed with the noise (although the pitch of the fans is annoyingly high* when they do spool up – mitigated after undervolting and repasting, though).

* EDIT: I haven’t analyzed it with a spectrograph, but I think it might be high-pitched enough that older (30+) users might actually not be able to hear it. Might take a crack when I get home today, but right now I’m guessing [s<]~16[/s<] 12 kHz?

• thedosbox

Looks like a massive cheese grater under there. Doesn’t look particularly practical for a laptop.

• Voldenuit

Sounds perfect for TR, then!

• tipoo

Sigh
          *upvote*

• rnalsation

[quote<]a USB 2.0[/quote<] Why? No. Go away Samsung.

• tay

If you need gaudy, you can’t go wrong with Samsung!They’re like the Thermaltake of consumer electronics.