EVGA Z10 Keyboard has a screen for stats

PC displays keep getting bigger, and their resolutions continually increase. Sometimes, though, even a modern 32" 4K display can't provide enough information at once. EVGA's latest Z10 mechanical keyboard is ready to offer gamers vital performance stats and other information on a red monochrome LCD display, in the vein of Logitech's G15 clicker. The Z10 is available with the buyer's choice between Kailh Blue and Brown switches. Kailh's switch color coding mimics that of market leader Cherry—the Blue type means "clicky tactile" and Brown corresponds to "quieter tactile."

The Z10's headline feature is its programmable LCD display that can show vital statistics like system temperatures and game frame rates. Users can display their choice of data from within EVGA's Precision X and E-LEET system monitoring and overclocking utilities.

The deluxe features don't end with the LCD readout. The Z10 keyboard has five macro keys, audio volume and lighting brightness sliders, dedicated multimedia keys, and an EVGA-logo-emblazoned "E-key" that disables the Windows keys for gaming sessions. The included textured wrist-rest latches onto the keyboard chassis using the magic of magnets. The Z10's lighting is all red all the time, but the keys are broken down into several zones whose lighting intensity and effects can be adjusted independently using the manufacturer's Unleashed software. Each side of the Z10 has a USB 2.0 pass-through port, a feature that should please left-handed gamers used to keyboards with right-side-only ports.

EVGA's Z10 mechanical gaming keyboard with its onboard LCD display rings in at a stout $150 in Kailh Blue and Kailh Brown flavors. For the time being, purchases from EVGA's web store also include a free X10 Carbon wired gaming mouse, an ambidextrous rodent that normally trades for about $50 by itself. Buyers that don't need or want the mouse can also find the Z10 keyboard at Amazon and Newegg. The manufacturer backs the keyboard with a three-year warranty.

• wingless

I still use my Logitech G15 and I put a lot of MSI Afterburner stats on the LCD. I’ve been waiting for a replacement keyboard for years.

I’ll buy this ASAP!

• Usacomp2k3

I still have my G15 gen1 floating around somewhere. I never used the display for anything. From the pictures, this one looks horribly difficult to read also. I’d rather better multi-monitor support in games for anything but stretched views. Imagine being able to put a minimap or your toolbox or whatever the game would have in a 2nd screen for always visible information.

• TwistedKestrel

I think there are a lot of good potential uses for second screens in videogames, but nobody ever delivers. Probably the closet would be the Nintendo DS

• NovusBogus

I have a G15 Gen2 (the orange one) and only used the default clock, but having a clock was actually a really nice feature. For years I’ve been meaning to build a nice little orange mini-clock to replace it, but never got around to it.

In any case, this new keyboard reminds me a lot of the stuff I liked about the G15. So color me intrigued.

• Hsldn

I use it all the time. Mostly to show the download/ upload speed. somethimes to show system temperatures. It may not be a must-have but it can be useful ..

• Blytz

I had a G15 Gen and a G510. I spent most of the time using the screen for the clock, cpu load or netstats.

Being able to turn on the back light for a quick clock when the computer screens are off and there’s no clock, watch or phone handy was a nice feature to me (beat the hell out of sleepy eyes copping a retina burning by switching on dual displays in the dark)

would love them to have shoved it into the G910 instead of that totally useless arx dock

• JustAnEngineer

“Alexa, what time is it?”

• Blytz

I tried that, doesn’t work, primarily because I don’t have an Amazon echo.

Ok google works though, but a tiny screen on the keyboard that’s easy to read is much quieter than a google mini.

• JustAnEngineer

[quote=”Blytz”<] I don't have an Amazon echo.[/quote<] Echo Dot (2nd gen) has been on sale for $30 or $35 many times in the past year. I believe that it's a much better value than the larger Echo.

• Blytz

I got a free google mini when my wife bought a Pixel 2, but yeah, I do legit miss the silent small screen for a clock.

• UberGerbil

So waaaaay back in the 80s there was a system that had a one-line LCD display in the area above the numpad. There was also a special key that switched the numpad into calculator mode using that display. Because people still used calculators, because they weren’t yet using GUIs. I still think it was a clever idea.

I wish I could remember which microcomputer it was — there were so many one-hit wonders back in the 80s.

• TwistedKestrel

Not this? [url<]https://deskthority.net/wiki/Focus_FK-5001[/url<] Edit: No wait, I think I can picture what you're talking about! *intense thinking* Edit 2: I got nothing

• willmore

I used such a keyboard on a PC back in the AT keyboard connector era. I think I ended up using the calculator twice. I was told the accountant hated it as it didn’t behave like an adding machine and they once forgot to toggle it off before entering a bunch of numbers–only to see all of their work gone.