Tuesday deals: a 16-GB kit of 3000 MT/s RAM for $150 and more

In the famous words of the Portal turrets, "ow, ow, ow." I've just come back from my periodical chiropractor appointment and I have tape on my neck and shoulder. I keep putting the appointments off, and every single time I regret doing that. Hunting deals doesn't require a lot of movement, though, and we've come across a handful of interesting ones. Check them out.

• We have a varied selection today, but we're starting off with the G.Skill Aegis 16-GB dual-channel RAM kit clocked at 3000 MT/s. Memory prices have been slowly-but-steadily coming back from the stratosphere, so it's nice to see that you can get this set for only $149.99 from Newegg if you use the promo code EMCPTEP53. That's a price I haven't heard in a long time.

• While we're discussing storage, we'd like to bring the Western Digital Elements 4TB external hard drive to your attention. There's nothing particularly remarkable about this spinner, and that's just fine—it'll only set you back $79.99 at Amazon.

• How about a super-fast gaming display with G-Sync support? That'll be the Acer Predator XB271HU we have on display here. This 27" IPS monitor has a resolution of 2560×1440, a 144-Hz refresh rate (overclockable to 165 Hz), and a 4-ms response time. The included stand offers pivot, swivel, and height adjustments. Amazon will hand you one of these in exchange for $599.99.

• 'Tis the season of discounted gaming laptops, and today we have the Asus FX503VD. Inside its 0.94"-thick body, you'll find a Core i7-7700HQ CPU paired with 16 GB of RAM and a GeForce GTX 1050 graphics card with 4 GB of its own memory. For storage purposes, you get a 256-GB SSD coupled with a 1-TB hard drive. The 15.6" display has an IPS panel with 1920×1080 resolution. All this hardware can be in your hands for only $869 from Newegg.

• Your home theater or gaming station deserves more than tinny audio. A solid receiver is a basis for any home theater audio setup, and the Yamaha RX-V583 is a fine choice for that purpose. This 7.2-channel receiver supports 4K Ultra HD, Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, and the rest of the alphabet soup audio standards. There's also HDR support on tap in Dolby Vision, Hybrid Log-Gamma, and BT.2020 flavors. Get this handy box for only $429 from Newegg Flash while stocks last. If that's too rich for your blood, its smaller brother the Yamaha RX-V483 is going for $299.99.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Kretschmer

That Acer monitor is not a great deal if you realize that 27″ 1440P 165Hz GSync displays were available for $600 a year ago. They’ve just been phased out in favor of slow-response MVA displays, so you’re excited to pay $600 instead of $750.

I’ve tried (and returned) this panel in an alternate shell (PG279Q) and don’t think that these monitors are worthwhile:
    -ULMB brightness is WAY TOO LOW to enjoy in these displays.
    -Switching between ULMB and GSync modes requires fiddling with the OSD AND the Nvidia control panel. Every. Single. Time. This should all be controlled by one physical button.
    -AUO quality control in this generation of panels was just awful, so you’re just asking for RMA roulette. Given the “clearance” nature of these panels, that means that you’re likely going to get a refurb from the green and icky side of the shallow pool.

That’s not to say that these displays aren’t bad as pure GSync/IPS offerings (if you win the panel lottery), but it’s maddening that top-flight GSync monitor tech tech is still using 2015/2016 tech.

• stefem

The Acer Predator XB271HU is a great deal, too bad it’s not 16:10

• jihadjoe

It probably wouldn’t be a great deal if was 16:10. Volume manufacturing, economies of scale and all that.

These days I just think of 16:10 as a feature you have to pay extra for if you really want it. (like GSync)

• kvndoom

Getting 1440 vertical pixels cured my 16:10 withdrawal. There was no way I could live with 1080p when I had been using a 1920×1200 monitor for literally a decade (2405FPW, still going strong in my lady’s office).

• Kretschmer

16:10 is effectively dead outside of a niche. Time to let it go.

How do I get back to the universe where 16GB of RAM isn’t a “deal” at 3x the price it was a year ago?

• albundy

you have to use the mycelium spores.

• dragontamer5788

I don’t believe that those G.Skill sticks are Samsung B Dies. Samsung B-Dies seem to have the best compatibility between motherboards.

Still, as a “cheaper” set that probably will still run fine at (some timings of) 2666 MT/s or so, its probably worth $150. But if you get Ryzen motherboard and Ryzen processor (which are less compatible than Intel systems), then you might have issues running at 3000 MT/s.

• albundy

and you would be right. they are hynix m-die. samsung bdie would cost at least twice as much.

[url<]http://cdn.overclock.net/photopost/data/1629751/c/cc/cc379b65_F4-3000C16D-16GISB.png[/url<]

• DrDominodog51

*Hynix MFR

Conventionally, only Samsung ICs are called by *-Die (and the density of the IC**) like E-Die or B-Die. Hynix ICs are called *FR. For example, AFR or MFR are Hynix DDR4 chips. All manufacturers use a different naming schemes for ICs that are quite interesting, but I’ll spare everyone the long explanation on the naming.

**Since DDR4 is relatively new, there are no dies that share the same letter designation yet making this irrelevant. On DDR3, however, there is a 1Gbit D-Die and a 2-Gbit D-Die that behave completely different from each other.

• caconym

It’s almost charming how G.Skill’s graphic designer appears to be trapped in 1995.

• kvndoom

I’ll take 1995. If he were in 2018, it would be covered in RGB LED’s.

• JosiahBradley

In other SSD deals the Micron 1100 2TB is still ~320$ on Amazon with prime.

• Kretschmer

Wow that’s insane. Is this drive any good?

• davidbowser

I got a few from Rakuten at $350, and dropped them on an LSI 9266-4i for some buttery smooth RAID-0 goodness. I have not really pushed performance on them yet, but all my Micron/Crucial stuff is still good (including a couple OG C300 I have somewhere).

• Usacomp2k3

I always come away from the chiropractor feeling so much better. Like a weight lifted off my shoulders. Certainly not sore and shying away from movement.

• Neutronbeam

I’ve always considered you to be well-adjusted.

• Usacomp2k3

Upvote for you for making me laugh at loud at work.

• DPete27

I’ve seen 6 different chiropractors in my life and I can say that every one of them had a significantly different style.

• willmore

Of course they do, they’re making it all up as they go.

Surprise twist ending: Bruno’s chiropractor with the [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rack_(torture)#/media/File:A_Torture_Rack.jpg<]unusual equipment[/url<] wasn't a chiropractor at all!

• morphine

You know you’ve got back problems when you look at something like that and wonder “hey, I bet that a couple minutes there without excessive force would make my back feel straight and great again.”

• jdevers

Haha, that is almost exactly what I thought when I saw the photo.

• Neutronbeam

Unless you’re reading a magazine during your appointment, maybe you intended to say “periodic chiropractor appointment”?