Thursday deals: a Ryzen 7 1700 for $220, a big-monitor party, and more

A fair day to you, gerbils. At least I hope that yours is fair, as around here it's been gray and rainy for nearly 3 months straight, save for a day of respite here and there. I was told I live in a temperate country, and now I'm seriously doubting that assertion. I don't know if Portugal snapped away from Europe and drifted off next to the UK, the home of all depressing weather. I shall have to be content with the sight of cheap hardware. Look what we found today.

• This deal just landed in our inboxes, and it's rather insane. The eight-core, sixteen-thread Ryzen 7 1700 CPU is one of the healthier specimens in its family. It has a 3.7 GHz turbo frequency and comes packaged with AMD's fancy Wraith Spire LED cooler. As it happens, Newegg's running a level-9000 deal on this processor and is selling it for just $219.99 if you use the promo code NEN428. We seriously advise you to get it in your cart ASAP as stocks will be vanishing quickly.

• The big-ticket items today are also physically the largest. We're kicking things off with the Dell Ultrasharp U3818DW. This humongous curved ultra-wide monitor is 38" across. Its IPS panel has a resolution of 3840×1600 and a contrast ratio of 1000:1. The display's maximum brightness is 350 cd/m2 and its response time is 5 ms in fast mode. Additional niceties include a USB hub with Type-C and Type-A ports and a tilt- and swivel-adjustable stand. This monitor usually sells for a pretty penny, but today you can get it from Newegg for $899.99 if you use the promo code EMCPTPV37.

• If you prefer a smaller (but still huge) display with a high refresh rate, then you'll want to take a good look at the Viotek GN32LD. This 32" curved display has a 2560×1440 VA panel with a maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz with FreeSync support. Viotek says the contrast ratio is a quite-healthy 3000:1. This monitor ticks all the right boxes in our book, and it's only $489.99 at Newegg Flash while stocks last.

• Gaming in 4K resolution is quite a pleasant experience, and made better by a vivid display like the Samsung U28H750. This 28" quantum-dot-infused monitor has a resolution of 3840×2160 and a 1-ms response time. Despite the usage of a TN panel, the fancy backlight apparently gives it the ability to display 10-bit color. The refresh rate is the standard 60 Hz, but there's FreeSync support on tap. Get a hold of this display for $399.99 from Newegg.

• Moving over to the SSD department, today we have the Adata SU800 512 GB drive on sale. This SATA drive can reach pretty-high 560 MB/s read and 520 MB/s write speeds, and it's selling over at Rakuten for only $101.99 if you use the promo code AD18 on the second step of checkout. Considering that fast SATA drives usually hover around the $130 mark, that's a sweet deal right there.

• Finally, two nice enclosures. The first is the Phanteks Enthoo Pro TG case with integrated RGB LED lighting and a tempered-glass side panel. This chassis has room for radiators aplenty, support for extra-long graphics cards and power supplies, and room for two 2.5" devices and six 3.5" hard drives. You can get it for just $99.99 from Newegg, and there's a $10 rebate card available.

• If you'd rather have a more affordable case that's still of quality manufacture, do look at the Phanteks Eclipse P400. This case proudly exhibits a tempered-glass side panel and integrated RGB LED lighting. There's a full-length PSU shroud and room for radiators up to 360-mm size at the front. The Eclipse 400 is going for a mere $54.99 at Newegg with the code EMCPTPV24. As if that wasn't enough, there's a $15 rebate card on offer. That's a heck of a deal.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Srsly_Bro

My rule for CPUs is that a large sample have to be able to exceed 4.0 GHz, all cores, continuously. Therefore, I cannot AMD.

Yes, I know the unicorn AMD whatever can reach 4.1 GHz at 1.5v under water. I don’t care. I hope Intel comes out with a mainstream 8 core soon.

• ronch

Why is reaching 4.0 such a critical factor? I’d pick a 1700X over my FX-8350 if I had to be objective about it and price isn’t an issue. And speaking of price, the FX-8350 is still available for $110 and the 1700X is just $300 at Old Egg. $300 for 8 real cores!! That’s one helluva deal compared to what Intel gave you for $340 for years and years until Ryzen came along! For that alone you really gotta give AMD major points! If I really needed more CPU power right now and RAM isn’t so atrociously expensive I’d make like a bandit and get a 1700X. Seriously, bro.

• Welch

Or AMD comes out with that mythological perfect 4.0 all of the time CPU ๐Ÿ˜‰

• TheRazorsEdge

Clock speed alone doesn’t guarantee performance. Netburst and Bulldozer both proved that.

A frequency requirement without consideration of the underlying architecture and platform is woefully simple-minded.

• ronch

$220 for a nice 8-core?! Good grief.

man they’re depreciating in a hurry. I paid 50% more a year ago.

• ronch

Yeah. I know they’re making way for Ryzen 2 but AMD is really far more willing to drop their prices like a hot piece of rockb than most other big tech firms. But that’s awesome for us and that’s what makes the sort of folks who buy AMD keep coming back. I’m sure they know this.

Helps make up for nutty memory pricing, too.

• ronch

Yeah but I’m still not buying. Those RAM prices are more insane than the Joker himself on steroids.

• Srsly_Bro

Do you feel that cost was worth having it for the extra year?

• ronch

It’s never exciting to buy products that came out last year knowing new ones will replace them soon but that’s more of an emotional thing. Saving quite a bit of money though, is something we can all agree on is good.

For sure. I needed the extra cores/threads for VM-y things, and I bought 32GB of RAM for under $200. Try doing that today.

That’s not to say I still have it. My needs have changed. I sold my GPU (GTX 1070) and half the RAM for profits and sold the CPU for about what it costs new today, and bought a Ryzen 5 2400G. I’m not gaming on PC or using VMs nearly as much these days so it was a good time to sell and pocket some money.

• Srsly_Bro

Indeed I considered it for my htpc but decided against it.

• ronch

If I were building an HTPC solely for watching movies on a big TV I think something with even just 1/4 the CPU power of a 1700 is overkill. I’d probably get a cheapa$$ Kaveri or something. No sense wasting cores and all that cache just to watch Gordon Ramsay at Amy’s Baking Company.

• Kretschmer

[quote<]Gaming in 4K resolution is quite a pleasant experience[/quote<] Lies. gaming at >100FPS is a pleasant experience! ๐Ÿ™‚

• enixenigma

Why can’t both be pleasant experiences??

Now just wait until you can game at 4k AND >100FPS!

• superjawes

AND IN VR!

• Kretschmer

For many games, 4K and pretty settings means an unpleasant drop in FPS. Someday…

(I remember reducing Doom to like 200×200 pixels to up my frame rate on an ancient Mac. How far we (but not Macs) have come!)

• jihadjoe

Winning is a pleasant experience too! 1024×768 low settings = see your enemies who happen to be playing 4K high/ultra way before they see you.

• DPete27

[quote<]Samsung U28H750...$400[/quote<] Wowza! That much for a 4k TN 60Hz 28" monitor? Not sure why anybody would buy that over the C27HG70 (2k IPS 144Hz 27") for $450 (when it's on sale). Maybe my satisfaction with 122ppi isn't Xtreme enough.

• JustAnEngineer

Doesnโ€™t the C27HG70 use a VA panel rather than IPS?

• thecoldanddarkone

Yea he’s wrong it’s a va.

• DPete27

Sorry! That’s embarrassing since I own a C27HG70….I’ll go crawl back in my hole.