The TR BBQ XV is just two months away

Wait, there's really just two months to go before the TR BBQ XV? Man, I need to get my act together! Whose crazy idea was it to have the event so early in the summer?

Time really does fly when you're having fun, and the Westrate household has been positively chock-full of "fun" since the beginning of the year. I suppose that's only natural when 12 people are living under one roof, but that's another story (and a minor spoiler for my upcoming router review). Anyway, speaking of time flying, I started thinking about 15 years' worth of TR BBQs and what the world looked like back when it all started.

[insert mystical flashback transition]

Around the time of the first TR BBQ, gerbils were stoked about the overclocks they were getting on their shiny new Athlon XP "Barton" CPUs and waiting for the now-legendary Athlon 64 CPUs to drop. Intel who? Dual sockets, not dual cores, were the name of the game if you wanted more power (and Tim Allen grunt references were only a couple years stale at that point). Speaking of tired jokes, no one was making cracks about Half-Life 3 because Half-Life 2 was about to miss its planned 2003 release date and get bumped a year to 2004. Yes, that means the TR BBQ is older than Steam.

Let's do a few more. SpaceX was just one year old when gerbils gathered for the first BBQ, and those folks sure have made good use of the time in between. Funnily enough, the launch of Facebook was still a year away, and YouTube was still two years out—in fact, YouTube's very first video got uploaded 13 years ago today.

Nostalgia isn't the only reason for this journey down memory lane, though. It's also a guilt trip. Many gerbils have cried BBQ over the years only to never actually make the trip. If you're one of those procrastinators, how's that working out for you? I'll bet it's even trickier to make the time now than it used to be. Take my advice: figure out the logistics, shed your other responsibilities, post in the TR BBQ XV thread, and get you rear to Holland, MI on June 23 for a great time. I mean, who knows how many more TR BBQs there will be?

Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• just brew it!
    • 1 year ago

So the potential conflict I thought I might have is a non-issue. Will probably be able to make it this year.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

I’ll be heading through there a week early 🙁 Moving to Calgary and will driving through around the 13th. Damn, sons.

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

Calgary? ARE YOU TRAINING FOR THE OLYMPICS?!?!?!

• Jigar
    • 1 year ago

I am in India dreaming of visiting TR BBQ since years. Don’t know when but surely will make it to TR BBQ in upcoming years.

• Welch
    • 1 year ago

I say this EVERY year…. “Maybe next year”. With building a place myself (with a few friends) and just life in general… It’s hard to make it out of fridged North. It’s also a hard sell to the wife as we haven’t had a real vacation since our honeymoon in 2011. The feeling is we will be ready for everything life throws at us next year, but we shall see.

Anyone know of any sort of health events going on in the area around that time? Perhaps I can convince the wife that we go to her event if we can go to the TR BBQ!

• Starfalcon
    • 1 year ago

Well as one of the original group at the first one, I have enjoyed them all. I think I only missed a few years, but I made it to most of them…plus it give me a chance to haul more old computer goodness back to my lair……

• just brew it!
      • 1 year ago

Might have a Slot A system for you if you are interested.

• LoneWolf15
    • 1 year ago

[i<]Yes, that means the TR BBQ is older than Steam.[/i<] It's also older than [i<]DiRT[/i<].

• Mr Bill
    • 1 year ago

[quote<][insert mystical flashback transition][/quote<] Does this placeholder mean this report is still in progress? Joking OK? I had to ask.;-)

• Bomber
    • 1 year ago

I really need to see if I can make this work. I’ve been pondering going since the first but life keeps getting in the way. I now have a friend that lives in Detroit so it’s a lot easier as long as life doesn’t keep getting in the way!

• Dposcorp
      • 1 year ago

Its looking good for me to make it this year, so yeah, I am happy.

• LoneWolf15
        • 1 year ago

It’ll be good to see you again, bro.