GeForce 397.31 drivers ready their mechs for Battletech

When I was a kid, I used to agitate my older brother by playing with his Battletech miniatures. Some thirty years later, I'm here looking forward to playing a new Battletech game. GeForce gamers keen to mount their 'mech and take to the battlefields of the Succession Wars should stop off at Nvidia's site to grab the latest graphics driver, version 397.31. It's Game Ready for Battletech as well as 11 bit studios' Frostpunk.

Battletech

Besides support for the new games, GeForce driver 397.31 also includes developer preview support for Nvidia RTX through the Microsoft DXR API. You'll have to have a Volta-based GPU to mess with it, though, and right now that means a Titan V card. This driver release also updates Nvidia's Vulkan support to version 1.1 of the API. Far Cry 5, Warhammer: Vermintide 2, Frostpunk, and Descenders got SLI profiles in this release, too.

Frostpunk

Nvidia took this release as a chance to fix a number of issues, too. Far Cry 5 should stop crashing every few minutes on GeForce GTX 1060 cards. Flickering UI elements on those cards in Rise of the Tomb Raider should also be fixed. Doom should work on machines with HDR mode enabled, now. Firefox should stop causing Terminate Display and Reset (TDR) errors. Finally, folks playing Diablo III with v-sync on and SLI enabled can safely alt-tab once again.

The interplay of technologies like HDR and G-Sync complicates things for driver developers. As a result, there are some issues hanging around. Video playback in Edge on HDR dispalays might cause screen corruption. Far Cry 5 might suffer visual artifacts when using HDR in a non-native resolution. Warhammer: Vermintide 2 might cause the display driver to crash in DirectX 12 mode, and Gears of War 4 might blue-screen the system on Pascal GPUs. Kepler-based GeForce Titans are still not compatible with Threadripper machines.

I didn't cover everything, so hit the full release notes if you're really curious about all the details. If you're a GeForce Experience user, you've probably already got the new driver queued up for download. Otherwise, folks can trod over to the GeForce download site and pick up driver version 397.31. The Windows 10 64-bit installer is here.

• GrimDanfango
    • 1 year ago

Hmm, wonder how much difference this driver makes. I’m thoroughly enjoying Battletech so far, but it runs like absolute arse on my 1080ti (+ 8-core i7, 128GB Ram). Tops out at 90fps on my 144hz screen, dropping as low as 20 whenever there’s a lot of smoke effects on-screen.

Definitely in need of a performance patch!

…but otherwise wonderful. I’m playing with ini tweaks to allow the AI normal critical chance instead of 20% modifier, and to allow my mechs to be unrecoverable if they get cored. Certainly making for a tense game 🙂

• Waco
      • 1 year ago

I haven’t had any trouble running 4K with everything cranked on a Titan Xm – since it’s turn based I haven’t even noticed any drops in FPS that I cared about at all.

• e1jones
    • 1 year ago

Steam was trying to tell me I spent ~500 hours playing the Battletech beta. I’m pretty sure at least a few of those were while it was minimized mid-mission, running in the background.

But still, I played a couple hours a night while the beta was running.

Played a wee bit of the actual release version yesterday and I’m just happy it’s a thing now.

• Sargent Duck
    • 1 year ago

Didn’t get this game installed until midnight last night. At that point, two options lay before me:
    1) Be responsible and go to bed so I can be ready for work today
    2) Stay up till 3am playing this.

Work be damned. I stayed up till 3am. Regretting it now.

• wingless
      • 1 year ago

I applied my mental willpower training and self control and stopped playing at 1am. I’m clearly a better Mechwarrior than you are!!!!

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

You, sir or madame, are an exemplary human being who truly understands what is important in this world. I fire a 21-PPC salute in your honor!

• Wilko
    • 1 year ago

This. This will be the one.

[quote<]Firefox should stop causing Terminate Display and Reset (TDR) errors.[/quote<] I'll be so happy if this is true.

• Krogoth

Needs more Altases. 😉

• wingless
    • 1 year ago

As a fan of the Battletech universe and games, this game is EXCELLENT! This is the turn-based strategy game we’ve been waiting for. If you’re a fan of Mechwarrior or currently play Mechwarrior Online, it really rounds out the Battletech PC gaming experience well.

• 1 year ago

Everybody that digs strategy games should be playing Battletech. I have spent every free moment with it since yesterday. No idea how far I am through the campaign other than to say I’m five missions in (don’t know the length) and I’m having a lot of fun with it.

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

And remember kids–no guts, no galaxy! Started last night, completed two missions and just got to the resource management screen, so ready to get into the procurement/logistics/money/personnel details. My strategy of combining alpha strikes while hiding in cover has resulted in both overheating and success!

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

Soon enough it could turn into success in overheating.

• 1 year ago

Successful overheating is one of the key tenets of my overall strategy for this game.

• Waco
      • 1 year ago

This. I’m a few hours in (okay, more than a few) and I’m hooked. It’s not perfect (the hardpoints bother me a little) but damn if it’s not fun. It’s as close to the tabletop version as it can be and still appeal to newcomers.