Cherry’s KC 6000 Slim is a laptop keyboard for desktop users

I've heard one remark from novice typists over and over: "I love the way my laptop's keyboard feels. Why aren't there desktop keyboards that feel like laptop keyboards?" Well, there are—you just have to go looking for them. One such model is Cherry's upcoming KC 6000 Slim. This vanishingly thin board uses the company's SX scissor-style keyswitches.

The Cherry SX switches may not be as familiar to TR gerbils as the company's ubiquitous MX mechanical switches, but they're not new. The design is a fairly typical scissor-style rubber dome switch. Cherry rates them for 10 million keypresses on this particular keyboard, and they require 65 cN of force to actuate with a nominal key travel of 2.5 mm. For context, a standard Cherry MX Blue keyswitch takes 50 cN of force and travels 4 mm.

Cherry calls the KC 6000 Slim "ultra-flat." It'll come in layouts for the US and most of Western and Northern Europe's regional variants. There are two color schemes—silver with white keys, or black with black keys. The silver version has teal accents along the bottom of the keycaps, while the black verison gets edgy-looking red accents. The KC 6000 Slim's keycaps are laser-engraved, so you don't have to worry about the lettering rubbing off.

Cherry says the KC 6000 Slim will be available next month for $50.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

That enter key shape is a no-buy for me.

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

I think that’s a regional variant, and they’re claiming that there will be several options.

• rika13

It is a Euro version.

The American Cherry keyboards (ironic, since they were originally a microswitch manufacturer in Illinois, then realized keyboards have lots of switches) are the American layout.

I remember getting myself a Cherry Cymotion Master Linux (still my favorite keyboard ever for feel, I’d be using it to this day if it wasn’t so goddamn HUGE) and to verify they had the American layout, Cherry took pics of it for me since they didn’t have any for the American version.

• DPete27
          • 1 year ago

I see it now. Didn’t notice the “extra” letter keys on first glance.

• Spunjji
      • 1 year ago

As a British citizen I have to say it’s a deal-breaker for the Enter key to /not/ be that shape 😉

• thedosbox
        • 1 year ago

As a British citizen who now lives across the pond, the larger Enter key is the only thing I miss about that layout.

• 1 year ago

I get that it’s always about what people are used to, but if the enter key is that large, I’m bound to hit it multiple times in an effort to hit backslash instead.

• psuedonymous
        • 1 year ago

ISO layout best layout. Suck it, ANSI!

• 1 year ago

I abhor scissor-switch keyboards when there’s no reason for such compact switches, like in this instance of a wired, desktop keyboard.

Make this wireless and TKL, and I’ll finally replace my Microsoft Arc keyboard for the HTPC….

• p3ngwin

backlit ?

I love chiclet keyboards, and my ideal is a tenkeyless backlit, preferably with centered lettering on keys (no idea why anything else exists).

Currently enjoying a Logitech K800, but itching to get a replacement 🙂

• Voldenuit
    • 1 year ago

[quote<] It'll ocme in layouts for the US and most of Western and Northern Europe's regional variants. [/quote<] Typo in 'come'. Unless there's some very weird European keyboard layout going on.

• thedosbox
    • 1 year ago

Yes! I will be getting a bunch of these, as my Gigabyte K7100 is looking worse for wear. It’ll be nice to have standalone volume keys again.

• BillyBuerger
    • 1 year ago

When I saw the title, I thought this was going to be their first keyboard with their new low profile mechanical switches. Too bad. I’m waiting for those to show up.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]I love the way my [s<]laptop's[/s<]MacBook keyboard feels. Why aren't there desktop keyboards that feel like laptop keyboards?[/quote<] HA! I got a request like this for a build a couple years ago. Ended up using the [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0GA-001J-00043<]Kensington K72357[/url<] out of budgetary restrictions, but the Cherry KC6000 looks far better.