Razer Abyssus Essential sheds old sensor and gains more colors

Razer has updated its entry-level Abyssus mouse, and the new capabilities are enough to bring on a new suffix: the new version of the pointing device is now called the Abyssus Essential. The old "V2" model had a 5000-DPI sensor, which was probably plenty for just about anyone. Even so, the new version has a higher-resolution 7200-DPI sensor and expands its range of selectable lighting colors from just three to more than 16 million.

According to Tom's Hardware, the Abyssus Essential has already been on the market for a while in China, where it wears Razer Jugan badging. Regardless of branding, the mouse is built around a 7200-dpi optical sensor of undisclosed provenance. The button layout is about as simple as it gets on this side of the PC-Mac divide, with two main buttons and a clickable scroll wheel. The manufacturer says the "Hyperresponse" buttons should last for 10 million clicks. One upside of the simple button layout is an ambidextrous design that should suit users that position their mouse on either side of their keyboards.

Users control the rodent's fine-grained adjustments and RGB LED light show with Razer's cloud-based Synapse 3 utility. The Abyssus Essential is part of the company's Chroma family, so the color-changing diodes should dance to the same beat as other Razer peripherals attached to the same PC. Light shows through the Razer logo on the top of the Abyssus Essential and spills out of the mouse's underbelly. Only one lighting zone is present, so the top and bottom will always display the same hue from a palette of 16.8 million colors.

The Abyssus Essential measures 2.5" wide, 4.5" long, and 1.5" tall at its highest point (6.3 cm x 11.5 cm x 3.7 cm). It weighs 2.8 oz (78 g), excluding the mass of the non-detachable, non-braided 6.9' (2.1 m) cable. Razer already has the Abyssus Essential ambidextrous gaming mouse in its online store right now for $50. We're sure it will appear at third-party e-tailers like Amazon and Newegg soon.

• willyolioleo

Not essential: thumb buttons

Essential: RGB

• odizzido

is off one of those 16.8 million colours?

• jihadjoe

RGB #000000

Back in the late ’90s I refused to buy these new silly mice with loads of extra gimmicky buttons because they got in my way.

Now, after a couple of decades, I have come to accept that one or two thumb buttons are not just welcome, but [i<]essential[/i<], as long as there's still room for your thumb to claw/pincer grip without the buttons interfering. A mouse without a thumb button(s) these days deserves its place in the <$10 cheap parts bin at the local store; It's only really fit for office work, and all the competition in that sector is comfortably under $10.

• oldog

I’m a southpaw and because of the way I hold the mouse, I hate hate hate mice with thumb buttons. I also hate hate hate extraneous BS mouse software.

I own the last generation of this mouse (I bought four of them). Works great, no additional software necessary.

By the way it is probably the only “gaming” mouse without thumb buttons out there.

Wouldn’t a lefty mouse solve your problem though?

They’re rare because half my family are southpaws yet we all mouse with our right hand anyway. I think mouse manufacturers just assume that almost everyone puts the mouse on the right side of the keyboard, in the same way that southpaws don’t get special exceptions to which side of the drivers seat the stick shift is on a car.

• oldog

I use a right handed mouse on the left side with the mouse turned slightly diagonally so that my index finger rests on the left button. That way when my wife shifts it over to the right side there’s no other changes that need to be made.

I am apparently not the only lefty that uses a mouse this way which is probably why there is very little call for left handed mice.

I also use the same mouse with the right hand when I get repetitive fatigue in my left upper extremity.

• Usacomp2k3

For work purposes, I never use the extra buttons on my mouse. That said I am using the Razer Imperator due to the shape. I could care less about anything beyond L,C,R buttons though.

• JustAnEngineer

I find the “back” button to be essential for office work, too.

• Acidicheartburn

$50 for a wired mouse with zero thumb buttons or anything else? Sheesh.

• NovusBogus

Very meh, indeed. Several other companies have very nice ambidextrous mice for $50-60 that include thumb buttons and better features like onboard processor (no need for constantly running software), textured side grips, etc.

• Neutronbeam

That price for a pretty basic mouse is… Abysmal.

• thedosbox

As is Razer’s Synapse nonsense.