HyperX Predator DDR4 RGB sticks march to the same beat

We saw first laid eyes on HyperX's Predator DDR4 RGB memory sticks back at CES in January. The modules use integrated infrared transceivers to synchronize the light show coming from each stick's color-changing diodes. The company said at the time that kits would start hitting shelves in the second quarter of this year, and the modules' appearance at Amazon puts the proof in the 16-million-color pudding.

The Predator RGB memory's claim to fame is an IR transceiver setup on each module that can precisely synchronize complex lighting and patterns between modules. The lights get their power from the DIMM slot connector, so there's no need for extra power or signal wires. HyperX says the modules will work with Asus' Aura Sync, Gigabyte's RGB Fusion, and MSI's Mystic Light Sync.

HyperX is making just one module type, an 8-GB unit with a 2933 MT/s clock speed and CL15 timings. Buyers can pick up these DDR4 modules singly or in packs of two or four. The required voltage of 1.35 V is a bit higher than the official DDR4 specification of 1.2 V, though the target audience is likely accustomed to exceeding factory voltages and clock speeds. The kits support XMP, and the manufacturer says they are ready for "Intel's latest platform," which we assume means the big blue silicon vendor's eighth-generation Core processors. Hopefully versions optimized for AMD's refreshed Ryzens will come along soon.

Only two kits have shown up on Amazon so far: a two-stick set with a total capacity of 16 GB for $246 and a four-stick, 32 GB set for $492. Those prices are just a bit higher than those attached to HyperX's LED-less Predator 3000 MT/s DDR4 memory kits. The manufacturer backs the Predator DDR4 RGB memory with a lifetime warranty.

• Kretschmer

If the industry is committed to meeting the LED needs of consumers, can we please do away with the bright blue LEDs OF DOOM on our cases, printers, and other devices? I sleep in the same room as my computer and have found that I sleep better if I disable or cover up all the blue light.

As for this memory, it seems gratuitous, but consenting adults can do what they want.

• moose17145

Pshhh all this RGB LED nonsense is just “whatever”. Wake me up when Corsair bring back the Xpert modules!

[url<]https://techreport.com/review/7959/corsair-xms-xpert-memory-modules[/url<]

• Canuckistani

RGB flashiness immediately makes me think back to the blinking text and obnoxious animated gif images Geocities websites and MySpace pages were known for. I’m pretty sure the market for RGB hits a similar audience. That’s a big group, so I’m not surprised LED lighting is everywhere these days.

Most of the time it’s ugly, especially with how it’s usually marketed with swirling rainbow vomit, but I’ve seen a couple of instances where it looked ok.

• sweatshopking

Personally I find leds distracting and annoying. I often play in dimly lit rooms and the last thing I want is flashing lights everywhere. I don’t hook up the leds for my case already.

• LoneWolf15

All I want is quality DDR4 for a decent price. No lights, no sounds, no Day-Glo colors, quality DDR4.

Is that too much to ask? It sure seems like it. DDR4 prices are the biggest thing stopping me from even considering an upgrade.

• Growler

Yes, that is too much to ask. We’re living in a post-performance world, now. It’s all about blinking lights these days.

• TwistedKestrel

Specifically referring to the IR transceivers – was this a problem that needed solving?

• Waco

Clearly there’s a market for this kind of crap. I struggle to find it interesting in the slightest. 🙁