Thursday deals: a Samsung PM953 960-GB SSD for $200 and more

Afternoon's greetings, gerbils and gerbilettes. Today's been a relatively quiet day news-wise. Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire just came out, and it immediately went into my “games to play soon” list, as I really liked the first game. If you miss that Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate RPG feel, look no further. Meanwhile, there's hardware deals to soothe your upgrade itch. Let's roll.

• We're kicking things off today with an extra-enticing deal. We'd wager that most gerbils would like a fast NVMe SSD in their boxes, and we have just the ticket: the Samsung PM953 M.2 SSD with a capacity of 960 GB. This drive can post sequential read speeds of 1000 MB/s and writes at 870 MB/s. You can get this near-1-TB drive today from Newegg for only $199.99—a fantastic deal. Thanks to TR gerbil Josiah Bradley for the tip.

• Next up, an 80-Plus-Gold rated power supply from a well-known manufacturer. We're talking about the EVGA SuperNova 650 G1 and its 135-mm cooling fan, four 8-pin PCIe power connectors, and fully-modular cabling. Remember when these were around $100? Not anymore. Pick one up from Newegg for only $69.99, then use the supplied rebate card to get another $20 back.

• There's nothing quite like a big display, and we have two today. The first is the LG 29UM69G-B—a 29″ 2560×1080 IPS ultra-wide display with FreeSync support and a blur-reduction mode. The monitor should be able to reproduce 99% of the sRGB color space, and the maximum refresh rate is 75 Hz. Take one of these home from Newegg for just $179.99 with the promo code EMCPUEP29.

• You might need to go bigger—much bigger. In that case, you'll want to check out the Dell U3818DW monitor. This massive 38″ IPS curved display has a resolution of 3840×1600, maximum brightness of 350 cd/m², and DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB Type-C connectivity. There's also a four-port USB 3.0 hub, too. Newegg will hand one of these monitors to you in exchange for $899.99 after the code EMCPUEP74. But wait, there's more! You'll get a rebate card that you can use to get a whole $100 back.

• Modern life is all about having everything at hand right there and then. The Amazon Echo Dot is a fine assistant that's always ready to help you out, and the company is currently offering a two-pack of these handy pucks for $59.98. Just place two of them in your shopping cart and you'll immediately get a $20 discount.

• When we pick out laptops, we always look for models that offer a fine balance between processor speed, memory capacity, and storage. One such model is the Asus VivoBook S (S510UA-DS51). This puppy packs an Intel Core i5-8250U processor accompanied by 8 GB of RAM and a 256-GB solid-state drive. The machine itself is pretty light and slim for a 15.6″ laptop, too. Grab one from Newegg for $599.99 if you use the promo code EMCPUEP47.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• tay
    • 1 year ago

Can someone convince me not to buy the LG 29UM69G-B. Could use a couple of years until 120 Hz 4K 32″ becomes mainstream?

• MOSFET
      • 1 year ago

It only has a 1080 vertical resolution – unacceptable for a new monitor purchase.

It only goes to 75Hz – unacceptable for a new gaming purchase.

It costs less than $200 so something (build quality) sucks. Just a guess.

• willmore
        • 1 year ago

I have a 25″ LG 2560×1080 IPS display (non-freesync, sadly) and the build quality is fine. But, yeah, I’d recommend holding out. 1080 height is a minor regret. I came from a 2048×1152 samsung display and the aspect ratio was much nicer.

• Kretschmer

For your use case:
      2560×1080 isn’t an improvement for media or gaming over a 16:9 screen. Very little media is available in 21:9 format, and the extra 35% of horizontal width uses more GPU horsepower without being much more more immersive. Also note that some games (e.g. Overwatch) do not properly support 21:9 resolutions. For gaming, I’d rather find a 1080P screen that is 144Hz (even a TN) over a 21:9 75Hz display. Some examples of 24″ monitors for the same price:
      [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0ZW50M9160[/url<] [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009642[/url<] Going up to $240 nets you an IPS 144Hz monitor: [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA8SV7434952.[/url<] I've worked at an office with 2560x1080 screens, and it's barely noticeable over a traditional 16:9 monitor. If productive space is what you're looking for a 4X inch 4K TV is ~$240 and will give you MUCH more space to play with.

• AustinW
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]Very little media is available in 21:9 format[/quote<] Actually almost every theatrical film is shot in a 2.39:1 aspect ratio, which is extremely close to 21:9.

• Kretschmer
          • 1 year ago

Yes, but YouTube and Netflix won’t be offering content that uses the extra space. I use a 21:9 screen and the additional girth is wasted in streaming most content.

You can buy theatrical versions of movies on Amazon video, but then it looks weird on your 16:9 screens.

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

My brother has the LG 29UM67P (which is this monitor’s for-bearer) and I borrowed it for a few months. I’ve since got my own FreeSync monitor, a Samsung C27HG70 (completely different category of monitor) so I can draw some comparisons.

Pros: Ultrawide is nice for games and video/music editing. 40-75Hz refresh is sufficiently wide enough to keep your framerates inside of. You can set Framerate Target in Wattman to downclock the GPU if fps goes above 75Hz and save power/heat. 2560×1080 doesn’t require too expensive of a GPU, I was fine with all games I played on my RX480 and high/ultra settings. 96ppi is similar pixel density to a 23″ 1920×1080 monitor which most people are used to. Backlight bleed wasn’t too bad. $180 is fantastic!!!

Cons: Web browsing in full-screen is annoying since most/all webpages are designed for 16:9 at best (see all that border here on TR even with your 16:9 monitor? yeah) this can be remedied by using programs windowed. Not sure if they fixed this on the UM69, but the UM67’s anti-glare coating was a bit….shiny(?) for my liking. Having a narrower VRR range and no LFC required me to adjust graphics settings more consciously than I do now with my 48-144Hz Samsung. In my short time with it, the 21:9 aspect ratio made me feel vertically squeezed for most scenarios. If I was to get a 21:9 monitor, I’d be looking at the 34″ ones, but to achieve decent pixel density, you’re probably into the 3440×1440 resultion which is going to push your GPU requirement up into the Vega 56/64 range.

• Kretschmer
      • 1 year ago

Update: Dell has a 25″ 2560×1440 IPS screen for $300 with a $150 gift card, which is a way better deal.

[url<]http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-25-ultrasharp-monitor-u2518d/apd/210-amll/monitors-monitor-accessories?prg=1&VEN1=12578053-8289238-87ebfc45-60a8-49ab-93e4-5c61c81665d6&AID=8289238&dgc=CJ&DGSeg=DHS&cid=198375&lid=45846&acd=12309198375458460&VEN3=812804032563175211[/url<]

• Spunjji
        • 1 year ago

I’ll second that. 2560×1440 is nice and sharp at that display size, so you can effectively get back some gaming performance by forgoing anti-aliasing in a lot of circumstances.

• SuperPanda
    • 1 year ago

Be careful, the PM953 is a 22110 drive, but that picture is for a more standard size 2280 SM951.

• Wirko

Here’s the PM953:
      [url<]https://centralvalleycomputerparts.com/samsung-pm953-960gb-ssd-m-2-80mm/[/url<] Looks like a non-OEM model. Do PM9xx exist as non-OEM parts at all?

• 1 year ago

Not really “from Newegg”, either. Sold by a third party with at least a handful of reviews saying buyers didn’t get what was advertised.

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/All-Smart-Tech/about[/url<]

• JosiahBradley
        • 1 year ago

I’m starting to have my doubts after submitting that link now :/

• DancinJack
    • 1 year ago

oh btw here’s a GTX 1080 for 588 (aka more or less MSRP) – [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137307[/url<] 570 - [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127945[/url<] 570 - [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487244[/url<] [url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20601201888&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=36[/url<]

• Pville_Piper
      • 1 year ago

EVGA has two GTX 1080s on their site for $549.

• Kretschmer
        • 1 year ago

The nice thing about EVGA is that they let you apply full purchase price to an upgrade if new cards are released within 90 days. That’s how I got my 1080Ti. 😀

• albundy
      • 1 year ago

hellz no. the card should be much less. it wasnt released yesterday ya know.