Asus Prime H310T motherboard has a very specific set of skills

Mini-ITX systems are a great way for system builders to stuff standard desktop (and sometimes mobile) parts into small spaces, but some folks are willing to make further sacrifices in the name of reducing physical volume. Asus' Prime H310T motherboard is squarely aimed at space-saving builds and OEMs looking to assemble all-in-one desktop systems with its Thin Mini-ITX form factor and its specific combination of features.

As one might expect from the name, the newest addition to the Asus Prime family uses Intel's most affordable entry desktop chipset, the H310. This chipset leaves a lot of features on the cutting room floor compared to its upmarket 300-series siblings, but those cuts don't matter for this motherboard's target market. These board's aspirations to be Hollywood-thin mean the Prime H310T gets two SO-DIMM memory slots of the type where the memory clips in parallel to the main PCB. The board supports up to 32 GB of DDR4 memory, but the maximum speed is only 2666 MT/s.

The H310 chipset might only get six lanes of PCIe 2.0 connectivity, but that's no matter since the Prime H310T doesn't have any desktop PCIe slots. The board does get one M-keyed M.2 slot suitable for an NVMe or SATA SSD, and a second E-keyed M.2 slot for a wireless card. Builders can add extra storage capacity by using the board's two SATA ports.

Close inspection of the Prime H310T reveals the absence of any ATX power connectors. Instead, the H310T has a DC barrel jack in the rear I/O cluster. That input power flows to the CPU through a 3+1 phase VRM, so builders shouldn't expect the board to maintain the highest boost clocks over a long period of time on Intel's fastest six-core desktop processors. SATA devices get power from a SATA power connector on the motherboard. The motherboard package includes a cable with two SATA drive power connectors, but shoppers will need to purchase a 12-V or 19-V power brick separately. The other odd-duck item in the box is a half-height I/O shield.

The Prime H310T has some features that suggest it was designed to facilitate simple AIO builds. The thin profile is the first sign, but the board's LVDS display and internal stereo speaker connectors are another signal of this intent. Asus offers a commercial BIOS tool kit for customizing things like the boot screen. The company also touts a moisture-resistant coating, stainless steel rear I/O, an LPC header, and a debug card with an LCD display and for troubleshooting. All these features suggest that embedded systems are also part of the H310T's target market.

Builders not using the LVDS connector can pick between an HDMI 1.4 jack or a DisplayPort connector. The LVDS connector supports a maximum resolution of 1920×1200 at 60 Hz, and the HDMI port is limited to 4096×2160 at 24 Hz, but the DisplayPort output can deliver resolutions up to 4096×2304 at 60 Hz. The H310 chipset supports a maximum of two simultaneous displays. The rear I/O also includes two USB 2.0 ports, two USB 3.1 Gen 1 connectors, audio jacks, and a Gigabit Ethernet port.

Asus didn't provide any pricing or availability information for the Prime H310T Thin Mini-ITX motherboard. The unconventional feature set suggests that shoppers might need to look in specialized retailers.

• TwistedKestrel

Been a while since I’ve seen a mobo with a green PCB!

• ludi

I’m having EPoX flashbacks (RIP).

• astrotech66

I know I had an EPoX mobo at some point. I just don’t remember what processor went with it …

I think I had a Shuttle and a Chaintech, too. I went through a lot of different AMD processors back in the early 2000s.

It’s nice, right? Oddly refreshing.

Is this what ‘retro’ means? Am I inadvertently becoming a hipster? :\

• DPete27

The M.2 SSD sits right on top of the chipset heatsink…..wonderful.

• rnalsation

At least it supports a 2280 unlike the H110t that only supported the much less available 2260.

• HERETIC

Common on 6″ boards-there’s not a lot of room.

What’s worse is the tail end sitting over power supply components.
      The hot bit will be at the bottom thro-Won’t warm south-bridge too much(ha ha)

Guestimating the power supply-we have DC jack top left-the CPU
      voltage regulators bottom right.
      Part of the main supply seems to start with the extra components
      with the Ram supply to the left of ram.
      The rest under the BIOS chip (Right next to the crab-ARGHHHHHH.)

Normally in this instance, the M.2 slot is on the back of the board.

Perhaps performance is secondary for easy of access and in-the-field maintenance for these models. They certainly look to be PoS-style hardware, since if they were consumer-focused there would be RGBLED-backlit Cyber Dragon-owl logos and the PCB would be tempered glass covered in military camo and angular heatsinks instead of green fibreglass.

• DPete27

Yeah. I was going to say that mITX boards have been fitting M.2 slots on the back within the clearance allowed by standard standoffs, so I’d assume that’s the best place for it.

Your comment about PoS makes sense, but how often are those systems even serviced that it would make a bit of difference if the SSD was behind the mobo?

• DPete27

NICE!!! It’s been a while since a new thinITX was released.

BTW: If [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132833<]the past[/url<] is anything to go by, this board will probably cost about $100.

• Ethyriel

I was just looking the other day at ThinITX for a little KVM box for DNS, DHCP, PKI, and unifi controller in my network stack and had come to the conclusion the whole idea had died. I’m pretty excited about this, hopefully the price is around where you think. There was more competition in the past, though, so they may try for a premium.

• chuckula

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want. If you are looking for ransom I can tell you I don’t have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let the price of SO-DIMMs go to a reasonable level now that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you, but if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you and I will sue you.

I don’t know why the internet has suddenly (re)exploded with this Liam Neeson quote meme over the last couple of months but I like it anyway.

Was it a recent SNL thing or something, stateside?

• Neutronbeam

I thought the headline was about a quote from the Black Widow in the first Avengers film…

• LauRoman

I don’t see how that’s a party…