OnePlus counts to 6 with its latest handset

Hot on the heels of Huawei's Honor 10 announcement comes fellow smartphone “disruptor” OnePlus with its latest handset. The OnePlus 6 is based around Qualcomm's popular Snapdragon 845 SoC and follows other recent smartphones into the land of tiny bezels, a notch on the front for the camera and speaker, a glass back, and a dual-rear-camera setup.

OnePlus offers versions of the 6 with either 6 GB or 8 GB of LPDDR4X memory. Buyers can choose between versions with 64 GB, 128 GB, or 256 GB of two-lane UFS 2.1 storage. Shoppers should carefully examine their storage needs before buying, because the OnePlus 6 doesn't have a microSD slot. The phone has a 4×4 MIMO Cat16 LTE modem with a maximum throughput of 1 Gbps, plus 2×2 802.11ac Wi-Fi, NFC, and Bluetooth 5.0. The side of the phone keeps OnePlus' signature “Alert Slider” that lets users easily toggle between ring, vibrate, and silent modes for notifications.

The size and resolution of this phone's AMOLED screen need a bit of explanation. Its curved corners mean standard corner-to-corner measurements don't quite work. The company is touting a somewhat misleading 6.28″ measurement obtained by extending the edges into rectangular corners. The actual corner-to-corner measurement is a bit smaller, at 6.12.” The display is 2280 pixels tall when the corners and the notch aren't cutting in and 1080 pixels wide, except at the corners. The 19:9, 401-ppi screen lies beneath a layer of Corning's Gorilla Glass 5. The fingerprint sensor is on the back of the phone, so the screen is free to cover 84% of the 6's face.

No one gets a prize for correctly guessing that the OnePlus 6 would look through a pair of peepers on the back. The main camera has a 16-megapixel sensor with an f/1.7 lens and optical image stabilization. The second shooter gets a 20-MP sensor and the same f/1.7 lens. The second camera has a longer focal length that Forbes says offers the equivalent of a 2X optical zoom versus its wide companion.

OnePlus says the single 16-MP snapper on the screen side of the phone will have a bokeh-positive computational portrait mode, but the phone's initial software doesn't have this feature. The main camera can capture 3840×2160 video at a better-than-most 60 FPS and can shoot a very-impressive 60 seconds of 1280×720 video at 480 FPS. My favorite thing about my wife's iPhone is shooting slow-mo video of my dogs barking, but it tops out at 240 FPS and only records a few seconds at a time.

The OnePlus 6 measures 6.1″ tall (15.6 cm), 3″ wide (7.5 cm), and 0.3″ thick (0.78 cm). The phone weighs 6.2 oz (177 g), including a 3300-mAh battery with OnePlus' Dash Charge functionality. The company says the battery can go from a depleted state to half a charge in less than 30 minutes. OnePlus says its proprietary charging tech also helps keep the phone cooler so users can still comfortably watch videos or play games while it's charging. One might hope that the 6's glass back means the phone has wireless charging, but alas, it does not. The 6 charges through the USB Type-C connector on the bottom of the phone. Headphone users will be relieved that the USB-C connector sits right next to a headphone jack.

OnePlus pumped the 6 full of its customized OxygenOS version of Android. The 6 ships with Android O, but the company says it will have a beta version of Android P on its website in the next couple of days. On top of the minimally-modified interface, the company says the game mode within OxygenOS can help reduce input lag and load times while gaming.

The OnePlus 6 goes on sale on May 22. The base model with 6 GB of memory and 64 GB of storage space will cost $529. The midrange config with 8 GB of RAM and 128 GB of space will set buyers back $579, and the top-shelf version with 8 GB of LPDDR4X and 256 GB of storage will chew a $629 hole in buyers' wallets. The shiny and matte black finishes will be available from the start, and a “Silk White” version with ground-up pearls in the paint will be for sale on June 5.

• Bauxite
    • 1 year ago

The last interesting non-junk-tier phone I saw was the LG V20, mainly because it has both a removable battery, micro SD slot and most importantly didn’t otherwise suck. Can still find some NIB for ~$200 I think. Sadly they sealed it up and went stupid with the V30.

• moose17145
    • 1 year ago

I find it utterly amazing how each new generation of phones since the Samsung Galaxy S5 seems to somehow become even less appealing to me than the last…

• albundy
      • 1 year ago

thats because they all want to be an iphone…a meh phone…the ultimate boring phone. nothing to distinguish any of them apart with all features stripped. offering nothing more than a very high pricetag and a worthless notch. for a 6.28 inch phone, the battery capacity is way too small, pathetic to say the least. the base model is expensive, and seems like it costs more than a galaxy s9. i cant see anyone choosing this over literally anything else.

• crystall
    • 1 year ago

I expect both desktop and laptop monitors to start shipping with a notch very soon.

• Ninjitsu
    • 1 year ago

Just 6.12″ display? Why stop there, just make a 9″ display already! Then 14″! Can i just shout in to my laptop instead?

It’s ridiculous, even the new Moto G6 variants are too big for practical use. I was intending to buy a new phone this year, guess i’m stuck with older phones… which is fine in terms of specs, but it sucks to have only one year of software updates to go with it.

• tipoo
      • 1 year ago

The first gen Moto G had the best hand feel of any phone imo, the curve hugging your palm, the size making you not feel like you’d drop it, and the indent right where your pointer finger would rest to anchor it in place.

I wish that form got an edge to edge screen, with the size used for battery.

• Shobai
      • 1 year ago

Horses for courses, of courses.

This phone is basically the same size as my Huawei Mate 10, which is just about perfect for my hands. The dimensions are almost identical to the OnePlus 5.

• tipoo
    • 1 year ago

People: We don’t like glass backs, but wireless charging is good enough to get over it

Oneplus: …Which order did they say that in again?

• Shinare
    • 1 year ago

I don’t love the notch design. If anything, I think I would rather have a small separate screen up there like the LG V20 had. Boy I miss that.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

As an owner of a 5t this phone apparently brings nothing. It’s slightly faster. yay. it’s a slightly better camera. yay. it’s the same amount of ram. yay.

oxygen os sucks, and the alert slider is terrible. You’re unable to set automatic do not disturb rules. forget your slider before falling asleep get all your notifications. yay

Now, I like my 5t just fine. it’s the best android device I’ve ever used. it’s just basically identical to this phone, and shows how the smartphone design has stagnated. Looking forward to whatever Microsoft is cooking up, since I doubt anyone else is investing that kind of R&D into new form factors.

• uni-mitation

Dear sweatshopking,

We are glad that you have reached out to us to share your opinion about our newest Flagship phone. We are definitely not going to listen to you; we will instead follow our Cupertino Overlords in ushering a new courageous world of smart-phones!

One-Plus-Dongles

• 1 year ago

You should like your 5t just fine. It’s barely a year old. If you’re upgrading phones yearly, you’re doing it wrong.

• sweatshopking

yeah, but it’s barely an upgrade from the 3. 5t came out nov
        And I generally do upgrade annually.

• 1 year ago

Just like the S7E, S8 Family and iPhoneX, this fantastic zero bezel design will be a royal pain in the ass to live with.

Just received four Nokia 6.1s today – they’re lovely phones that look like they’ll still look good after their first drop to the floor, and have enough bezel that you can hold it without registering a touch input by accident.

• biffzinker
      • 1 year ago

The bezel top/bottom of the Huawei Mate SE is practical none existent as is. Say no to the notch wart.

Nice phone btw, excellent performance, and battery life is phenomenal.

• caconym
      • 1 year ago

Just ordered that Nokia myself. $269 for Zeiss optics, un-skinned Android, a 3.5mm jack, and an aluminum unibody seems like a pretty solid deal.

• ch┬Áck
        • 1 year ago

zeiss optics but the sensor and general camera performance is lackluster

• 1 year ago

Your opinion doesn’t match professional reviews or empirical evidence of [url=https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nokia-6-2018-review/2<]photo samples taken on a Nokia 6[/url<]. Perhaps you're expecting DSLR performance from a budget smartphone, in which case I can assure you continued disappointment.

• caconym
            • 1 year ago

The chroma sampling on those shots does look pretty mushy (I wonder how much of that is happening during JPG conversion…), but they’re still better than what I’d expect at that price point, and it should suit my needs nicely.

• tsk
      • 1 year ago

Can confirm, my Nokia 6 crashed into the tiles from 6ft and survived with just a dent to the aluminium.

• Wilko

OnePlus can count to 6.

But can Valve count to 3?

• Shobai
      • 1 year ago

Is Valve also allowed to skip certain numbers, because superstition?

• MrDweezil
    • 1 year ago

Get back to me when we’re done with notches and 19:9 screens.

• GrimDanfango
      • 1 year ago

Apple must be copied. Even if their ideas are demonstrably stupid.

It’d be amazing if this was all just an incredibly elaborate troll. “We did something utterly absurd, just to see how many of you asshats would copy us anyway!”

I honestly thought we were past the point where every phone developer’s strategy was limited entirely to “wait and see what Apple does”… but nope.

• uni-mitation
        • 1 year ago

It is a sick and twisted paradigm: follow the leader, even if the lead car is going straight to a ditch.

uni-mitation

• thedosbox
    • 1 year ago

*sigh* I wish this fascination with fragile glass backs would go away. I get that you can’t use metal if you want to support wireless charging, but neither does this phone!

Bring back soft-touch plastic, ala the 2013 Moto X.

• uni-mitation
      • 1 year ago

Glass backs don’t belong on phones. I need a phone that is not gonna make me feel like I am handling liquid nitroglycerin.

uni-mitation

• bthylafh
        • 1 year ago

It’s extra stupid because how many people don’t put their expensive phones into a case of some sort? Just give us a plastic back and an easily-replaced battery.

• sweatshopking
          • 1 year ago

you can’t have wireless charging and a glass back.

• uni-mitation
            • 1 year ago

Where is the demand for this wireless charging? Are people tripping themselves with their chargers? You got Super-duper charging and stuff, but I got the best solution: pop the back cover and put a fully charged new battery- how is that for wireless charging? It takes less clutter, and it is practically free.

No, thank you very much. It is a gimmick to sell these very fragile phones to look chic. Give me utilitarian features like a solid back to hold my phone so I don’t have to be gymnast when trying to catch it when it falls.

What about dongle-mania? To properly use the newer Apple products you need dongles to get functionality that you used to in prior generations. No doubt the Apple-wannabes are gonna dutifully usher us in to this new courageous world of dongles!

/rant

uni-mitation

• sweatshopking
            • 1 year ago

Wireless charging is going everywhere.
            put a case on your glass phone, just like you do on your metal phone, and then you also have wireless charging.
            but this doesn’t have qi, so it’s stupid.

• uni-mitation
            • 1 year ago

I am fine with being the odd duck. It feels frustrating sometimes to not fall within the great majority of consumer’s demands & likes. Every day you hear about some new feature or product, and then I think “yeah, another useless thing for me. Yay!”

uni-mitation

• Kretschmer
            • 1 year ago

Wireless charging is great. Especially now that restaurants are starting to work it in to their seating areas.

• Shobai
            • 1 year ago

Is there any channel (side- or otherwise) for data with wireless charging? That would seem to make it safer than trusting someone else’s cable and supply.

• uni-mitation
            • 1 year ago

I guess the same restaurants will be expected to provide the dongles too, no? Madness, there is no such thing as a free lunch. The costs of acquiring and providing this service is included in the costs of everything else. I would rather have these restaurateurs be straightforward with their pricing instead of having a great portion of their workers rely on tips as wages. Let’s have management be responsible for their workers, and show me the true price of things.

uni-mitation

• Redocbew
            • 1 year ago

Wireless charging as a feature I think is useful. I have a puck of wireless charging on my nightstand which is pretty nifty.

I agree though that wireless charging as a hipster techno-widget from Starbucks and restaurants is vaguely annoying. It makes me wonder how many people have ended up with a phone in the soup, or inadvertently have had it swiped onto the floor or across the room. It’s just an awkward, unnecessary thing.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 1 year ago

My 2013 Moto-X has a [b<]wood[/b<] back.

• DPete27

Mine too!

• leor
    • 1 year ago

We should call these new phones Notch-Os.

• Shobai
      • 1 year ago

Ah – because they’re so cheesy?

• uni-mitation