Boxx Apexx D5 can be the workstation of your dreams

The meaning of “workstation” changes a lot depending on who you're talking to. When I think of a workstation, I think of a desktop PC on super-steroids kitted out for CAD work, physical simulations, and other crunchy math tasks. As it happens, that's exactly what the Boxx Apexx D5 series is. These beefy tower machines can be equipped with a pair of Xeon Scalable CPUs ranging up to a pair of Xeon Platinum 8176es, offering a total of 56 Intel AVX-512-capable cores.

The CPU options might be the headlining feature, but it's not the only highlight of these machines. Boxx will outfit an Apexx D5 with up to 2 TB of registered ECC DDR4 memory running at 2666 MT/s. If GPGPU computing is your thing, you can buy one of these Boxxes with seven separate expansion cards, five of which can be graphics processors. You can select from high-end GeForce or Titan cards, Quadro units with or without NVLink, and even a couple of Radeon Pro offerings.

On the storage side, you can outfit an Apexx D5 with eight devices. There's an M.2 slot available to fill with NVMe SSDs up to 2 TB in capacity. Two bays for SATA SSDs likewise can be filled with drives up to 2 TB. If you need mass storage, the remaining five bays can be filled with additional SSDs or hard drives up to 10 TB in capacity. Amusingly, the Apexx D5 comes standard with a DVD±RW writer that you can upgrade to a BD-RW drive.

The stock configuration comes with a pair of Xeon Gold 5122 CPUs with four cores apiece, 64 GB of memory, a Quadro P2000 graphics card, a 512 GB NVMe SSD, a Sound Blaster Audigy Fx soundcard, and Windows 10 Professional for around $13,000. If those specs won't suffice, Boxx's website has a full-featured configurator so you can spec out the workstation of your dreams.

• ronch
    • 1 year ago

My dream workstation is one that has dual 5.0GHz 64-core RISC-V CPUs with 256GB of RAM, 100TB of storage, and S3 Savage16 graphics. All this with DOS 3.1 on top.

• 1 year ago

WTB dual-socket EPYC option at 30% lower power-consumption, one quarter the cost and similar, if not superior performance.

Well, actually no because Boxx don’t sell anything in my region, but the point is still valid.

• Spunjji
    • 1 year ago

Xeon Gold 5122, AKA $1000 i7-6700 with some bits left on 😀

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Oh, I wasn’t aware the Core i7-6700 had six-channel memory and AVX-512 support.

• FireGryphon
    • 1 year ago

2TB RAM?! I must have fallen asleep under a rock and woken up in the future. My work machine has a lousy 4 GB, I have 8 GB on my home system, and my dream system has 16 GB. Where’s this 2 TB come from?

• GodsMadClown
      • 1 year ago

From boss who doesn’t review expenses?

• 1 year ago

From the world of extremely expensive enterprise servers that this “workstation” comes from. It’s just a $13K rack-server turned sideways and with a few dollars spent on making it less noisy.

• thor84no
      • 1 year ago

2 TB is pretty crazy, but 4 GB is certainly on the low side. Maybe my usage is the problem, but I’d hate to have less than 32 GB these days-—my browser semi-regularly uses 10+ GB on its own and I’d like some overhead to launch games etc. without needing to close it. Not that I couldn’t make do with 16 of course, but it’d be annoying from time to time.

• Goty
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]... offering a total of 56 Intel AVX-512-capable cores.[/quote<] Quick, someone restrain Chuckula!