Deal of the day: an EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB for $250

The fever in the video card market hasn't entirely broken, but there are many encouraging signs that we're getting there. Today's signal comes courtesy of EVGA's GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming. Amazon will sell you this compact yet powerful card for $250, or right at its suggested price. Yes, this is a bit underwhelming, but we haven't seen cards like this one selling without a markup in ages. As far as we can tell, this is the lowest price on a GTX 1060 6 GB you'll find anywhere right now.

The GTX 1060 6 GB Gaming isn't the hottest-clocked compact GTX 1060 in EVGA's stable—that honor goes to the Editor's Choice-winning SC edition—but this card still offers a 1506-MHz base clock and a 1708-MHz boost clock that's likely to be quite a bit higher in practice. Its 6 GB of GDDR5 RAM should still have quite a bit of life in it, and its 6.8″-long (172.7 mm) cooler will fit into most any case, big or small. Best of all, the GTX 1060 6 GB's impressive power efficiency means you'll probably never hear this card in operation. If you've been sitting on a new build because of a lack of affordable video cards, this one is just the ticket for a midrange PC.

• mikepers

I’m tempted to snag this ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini at $499:

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-GeForce-DisplayPort-Dual-link-ZT-P10800H-10P/dp/B01NCVICRY[/url<] I don't think I've seen a 1080 at 499 in quite some time...

• DreadCthulhu
    • 1 year ago

Right now Newegg has a Sapphire Radeon 580 8 GB on a [url=https://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=Homepage_SS-_-P1_14-202-280-_-06192018&Index=1<]ShellShocker[/url<] deal for $280. It is a pretty plain looking card, if that is your thing.

• albundy
    • 1 year ago

not worth it. its not worth taking a chance with a single fan. i’m never playing that card again. in this day and age, this needs more cooling. why cut corners, EVGA? you used to have lifetime warranty too, and now its the same 3 years as everyone else? are you expecting the card to fail so soon? was the single fan intentional for this purpose? TH did a review on this card explaining its thermal concerns that it found.

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]not worth it. its not worth taking a chance with a single fan. i'm never playing that card again. [/quote<] No stock Radeon or GeForce cards for you!

• albundy
        • 1 year ago

stock or not, 2 single fan cards have died on me so far with artifacts and lines, while my other dual fan cards have no issues.

• meerkt

[quote<](172.7 mm)[/quote<] You missed a digit there. It's 172.72 mm! 😉

• 1 year ago

Better make sure we have at least 173.8 mm of clearance, just to be safe.

• meerkt
        • 1 year ago

Surely you mean 17[b<]2[/b<].8?

• Liron
    • 1 year ago

Well, that didn’t last long 🙂
    Almost at $300 already.

• DragonDaddyBear
    • 1 year ago

This being so much cheaper than a 580 almost makes up for the G Sync tax.

• 223 Fan

Not if you already own a nice FreeSync monitor :-/

• Kretschmer
        • 1 year ago

Yeesh. Now you get to play the “will AMD ever offer affordable upgrades?” game. I miss the monitor selection I had with my 290X, but I don’t miss limited GPU options.

• 223 Fan
          • 1 year ago

More like the “when will nVidia pull their head out of their ass” game. GSync is dead in the water and offers no benefit over Freesync except to NVidia partisans. I have owned nVidia before and I would like to do so again in the future.

• Srsly_Bro

No benefit?

What about a defined, and consistent user experience across all supported displays?

You seem a little biased. I can acknowledge free sync benefits over gsync, even though I don’t game with a free sync supported monitor. I have displays with both technologies.

Your position is disingenuous and biased.

• 223 Fan

Sup?

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

Perhaps something of a pithy reduction, but the way I look at the divide between G-sync and Freesync right now is:

Freesync: You get what you pay for

G-sync: You pay for what you get

Most cheap Freesync monitors have lousy (or no) LFC support and hidden, often restrictive VRR ranges. If you want to buy a good Freesync monitor, they are cheaper than G-Sync but you have to do your research (and no small amount of digging). G-sync monitors for the most part have very consistent support of features and capabilities, but boy does nvidia like to gouge you for the privilege.

Unfortunately, the lack of cross-compatibility in the desktop space means that consumers are locked into one or other camp based on their existing GPU/monitor setup. Once GPU prices stabilize and AMD is fully competitive on performance per street price, nvidia [i<]has[/i<] to cave and open up its standards support. Right? ... Right?

• synthtel2
            • 1 year ago

AMD *is* [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%20601296377%208000%204814<]competitive[/url<] [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%208000%204814%20601205646%20600358543<]on[/url<] performance per street price! The lack of high-end is only a problem for nerds like us. The 1060/580 segment and below are much bigger sellers (as they should be - they're a lot of power). AMD's real problem right now is lack of PR noting this return to equality.

• 223 Fan
            • 1 year ago

Right. Since FreeSync and G-Sync are functionally equivalent at this point, based on my reading of Tech Report’s reporting, the question is how much is the G-Sync “peace of mind” worth? For the average Tech Report reader that value is, or should be, far less than what nVidia is asking.

• meerkt
      • 1 year ago

Newegg had, maybe still does, an 8GB 580 for $320 – 10% – $20 MIR = ~$270.

• synthtel2
      • 1 year ago

[url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20601296377%208000&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&order=PRICE&page=1<]Eh?[/url<] It certainly is a nice deal, but it's not like 580s are all $350+ anymore.

• 1 year ago

The GTX 770 in my wife’s PC just died. This is a bit more powerful than what I’d want to replace it with, but it’s only a matter of time before the 1050 is down to a decent price. That 770 was way more powerful than she needed to play Diablo 3 anyway. I replaced it with a spare GTX 650 2GB for now and all I had to do to get the game to run acceptably was turn off SSAO.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

I gamed with my 1050Ti for several months while waiting for 1080Ti prices to return to normal and it was decent at 1080P. It was certainly better than my old HD7950.

• 1 year ago

Yeah I’m thinking that’s going to be more than enough. The regular 1050 is $150 right now when MSRP is $100 or $110. If it gets back to those prices I’ll snap one up.

• Airmantharp
        • 1 year ago

Not at heating your room, it wasn’t!

• Srsly_Bro
          • 1 year ago

Yes, it did not. I actually used my 7950 on boinc projects with the purpose of heating my room first and contributing second.

• Kretschmer
      • 1 year ago

My laptop’s 1050Ti MaxQ is limited by the laptop form factor and still does well in D3 at 1080P (though the LCD is capped at 60Hz). A 1050Ti is great for current games but will have limited legs for future titles.