Steam Summer Sale has great deals galore

Open up those wallets once again, PC gamers, because it is time for the Steam Summer Sale. Traditionally the largest and most comprehensive of Steam's seasonal sales, this year's Summer Sale brings with it a mini-game where users can unpack the mystery boxes that they received during the Spring Cleaning event. At least, so I'm told—I can't get the mini-game page to load. Store pages are working just fine, though, and I've scoured the sale for some really nice deals.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

The theme for this sale seems to be deep discounts on slightly older titles that you might have missed, especially those with upcoming iterations. One of the best deals in the whole sale is on Rise of the Tomb Raider, which you can pick up with its Season Pass for $18. If you like first-person shooting, don't miss the Metro Redux Bundle that offers both Metro 2033 Redux and Metro Last Light Redux for just a bit over $10. 2016's excellent Doom re-make is down to $15, and if you download Quake Champions for free before Monday, you'll get to keep it forever.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands

If you're into guns but prefer an open world, Ghost Recon: Wildlands can be fairly described as “a military GTA.” It's on sale for $20, or 67% off. If that's not a silly enough game for you, you can get all four Saint's Row games on PC for $4 each. Also, Dying Light: Enhanced Edition includes all of the first-person zombie survival game's DLC, and it's $20 too. The entire Fallout series is on sale with discounts as deep as 75%; the latest game's all-DLC-included Game of the Year (GOTY) package is available for $30. If you like your open worlds of the fantasy variety, The Witcher 3 GOTY is down to just $20.

Tyranny

On the fantasy RPG topic, you're missing out if you haven't played Tyranny. This turn-based RPG in the vein of classic titles like Baldur's Gate is $15, the cheapest it's ever been. If you like your overhead-view RPGs to offer real-time combat, how about Grim Dawn for $7.49? That killer title is from the developers of the Greek mythology-themed Titan Quest, which is on sale for just $4. Torchlight II is another great game in that same vein, and it's down to $5. Of course, Path of Exile is arguably the best game in that genre, and it's still free as usual.

Black Desert Online

Other RPGs of note include the MMORPG Black Desert Online, which is a visual feast that folks with fast PCs can enjoy. The cost of entry is down to just $5, although I'd recommend the half-price Explorer's Package for $25. Final Fantasy XV Windows Edition includes every bit of DLC, and it's down to $25. If you read these posts frequently you're probably tired of me recommending Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. It's still fantastic, though. Grab it 67% off for $10.

Valkyria Chronicles

Fans of Japanese games have probably already played alternate-universe-WWII strategy title Valkyria Chronicles, which has its fourth installment headed to the PC next year. If you haven't, you can grab the first game for under $7. Strategy game enthusiasts can snag the underrated Halo Wars: Definitive Edition for $10, or if your tastes run more toward digital board games, the gorgeously-illustrated Armello is also just $10.

The Vagrant

There are a ton of killer “Metroidvania” titles on sale right now. The Vagrant has tight gameplay and gorgeous hand-painted art, all for just $2. Dust: An Elysian Tail boasts cute cartoon art and full voice acting, and it's $3.74. For the amount of $5.24, Valdis Story: Abyssal City offers four separate storylines for its four playable characters. Ori and the Blind Forest has a sequel on the way that looks amazing; prepare for it by buying the first game's Definitive Edition for $10. Dead Cells just came out of Early Access and to celebrate, it's down to $12, its cheapest price yet.

Crypt of the NecroDancer

While we're on the topic of indie games, I'd be remiss to go without mentioning Crypt of the NecroDancer. This infuriatingly-difficult Rogue-like is also a rhythm game. It's 80% off at just $3 right now. Enter the Gungeon is a Rogue-lite played from a similar overhead-view perspective, but it's a full-fledged action game. Grab it for $7.49. If that's too rich for your blood, how about dual-stick Rogue-lite shooter Feral Fury for $1.39? If you haven't already played the amazing Bastion, proceed immediately to get it for only $3.74. Everspace is a sci-fi Rogue-like with lush visuals and stellar space battles; it's down 67% to $10.

Bayonetta

If you prefer your action games to be 3D, don't fear. Bayonetta is down to $7, a ludicrous value. Its spiritual predecessor, Devil May Cry 4 Special Edition, is also discounted heavily to just $10. The Darksiders series offers a western-comics-flavored take on that type of game, and you can get both of the games in the series for $7.49. Going the complete opposite direction, you can dispatch droves of enemies in a single dimension in One Finger Death Punch. This goofy little game is a hilarious way to waste a few minutes while a download completes or coffee brews; it's on sale for just one dollar.

Despite the painstaking effort of combing Steam to create this post, I've surely missed your favorite game that's on a deep discount. Make sure to let me know in the comments, because I'm always looking for new titles to try out.

• kamikaziechameleon
    • 1 year ago

If HBO is on amazon does that mean we might see blizzard games on steam?

• kamikaziechameleon
    • 1 year ago

Oh I remember when I would load up on games during the sales… oh when I used to game.

• unclesharkey
    • 1 year ago

Cool I can buy some more games that I will never play.

;-P

• Platedslicer
    • 1 year ago

Freaking Stellaris might make me lose my job just like Civ4 made me drop out of college. Thanks Paradox!

FWIW it looks like Paradox is being honest with their prices this time around. EDIT: with Stellaris DLC at least.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

Is there any way to turn off Steam’s “recommended” games every time I view the store? Their algorithm is terrible and always recommends old niche games. Just show me what’s popular and I’ll dig for the niche stuff.

• 1 year ago

Go to the preferences and then select Interface on the left. There’s a checkbox “notify me about additions or changes to my games, new releases, and upcoming releases”. That’s what you want to uncheck. I think. Seems to have done it for me.

• moose17145
    • 1 year ago

Jumped on The Vagrant. For 2 dollars… even if it sucks then oh well…

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Nah, it’s good. You’ll enjoy it. My advice is to play on normal for your first playthrough. It’s not a terribly hard game (abuse the dodge roll) but the bosses get way, way, way too much health on the harder difficulties and it becomes kind of a slog.

• kvndoom
    • 1 year ago

Shadow Warrior 2 is on sale for $15.99 also. Gotta remember to pick that up.

• TurtlePerson2
    • 1 year ago

Does anyone remember the old days when Steam sales used to be really good? When did that end? Why did that end? I hardly ever buy anything on Steam anymore. There’s almost always a better deal elsewhere that then activates on Steam…

• 1 year ago

It ended because some MBA somewhere realized that you can make more money by not dropping prices as much and still hyping it to confuse people.

• Sahrin
        • 1 year ago

The entire thesis of the old Steam Sale with deep discounts was that you earned more revenue overall by cutting prices because far more people buy at 70% off than 20% off.

No,the reason is that Valve doesn’t give a shit about gamers. They rolled over to publishers because they are tired of standing up to them, and want the paycheck.

That’s why the new services are cheaper: They are young and hungry, and eager to please customers rather than sellers…just like Valve used to be.

• auxy
          • 1 year ago

That’s a nice narrative you have there but it doesn’t hold up under scrutiny. Steam sales are still putting games up for 90% discounts and the newer services (Humble, GOG, UPlay) aren’t really any cheaper than Steam.

…unless you mean services like G2A, Kinguin, Green Man Gaming, and other key reseller sites. Those services are cheaper because they are operating in a grey market zone reselling keys purchased at a cheap local rate to Westerners expected to pay the high actual price. You surely can’t hold Valve/Steam responsible for being more expensive than those cheaters.

I mean … you can … I guess … not that it’s like… fair, or reasonable. I guess I should stop expecting internet commenters to be reasonable. (´Д⊂ヽ

• 1 year ago

In the end, people still pay the prices. If they didn’t, the practices would change. Valve doesn’t poop out money.

• lemonhead
      • 1 year ago

I am totally with you. The last few years have been nothing but hype. I rolled my eyes every time game sites beat the steam drum for them. This year a few of my games on my wishlist when sub $5, which is an auto buy for me practically. So I am a little, but pleasantly, surprised. I can wait for the $5 price point since my backlog is ridiculous, but to each their own. If $5 off a $50 game gets you going, more power to you.

• auxy
        • 1 year ago

Why are you spouting this garbage? What agenda are you serving? Right here in this post Zak pointed out a $60 game plus $40 of DLC for $18, two $60 games for $10 total, and another $60 game for $15. IN THE FIRST DAMN PARAGRAPH!

• K-L-Waster
          • 1 year ago

Apparently claiming Steam has sold out gives you some sort of hipster-cred these days…

• odizzido
    • 1 year ago

Tyranny looks like it might be cool, but I will get it on GOG instead.

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Yeah, totally valid option. I love Steam, but I also get why someone might prefer not to use it. I’ll keep that in mind next time I write one of these posts. 🙂

• Goty
    • 1 year ago

I think I must be the only person in the world who doesn’t really like Bayonetta. I never played it when I first came out, but I bought it on reputation a while back without knowing it’s just a DMC clone. Those games never really did it for me, either.

• EzioAs
      • 1 year ago

If you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

I played Bayonetta last year and while I will confess it was a good game, I still prefer DMC more. DMC has more replay value to me.

• cygnus1
    • 1 year ago

I think they’ve been this discounted before, recently I believe, but the Steam Link is 95% off and selling for $2.50. That’s actually tempting for that price despite its quirks.

[url<]https://store.steampowered.com/app/353380/Steam_Link/[/url<]

• RAGEPRO
    • 1 year ago

By the way, other online stores are running sales too. You can go over to Humble right now and pick up [url=https://www.humblebundle.com/store/shadowrun-returns-deluxe<]Shadowrun Returns Deluxe[/url<] for free. The other games are marked down a lot as well as lots of other cool games in their store. Castlevania: Lords of Shadow and the sequel stood out to me as being ridiculously cheap.

• 1 year ago

Sweet! I’m all about free stuff these days.

• RAGEPRO

Hell yeah.

I really need to give Shadowrun Returns another try. I’m a big old-school Shadowrun fan from way back (Second Edition, chums!). I kickstarted the original Shadowrun Returns and tore into it with the glee of a giddy kid on christmas, then quit and uninstalled in disgust after realizing it had very little to do with the original table-top game [i<]in terms of mechanics.[/i<] However, I also love the Shadowrun world and lore and from what I've read they're fairly faithful, at least to the newer "wireless matrix" lore. I also hear the later content packs (Dragonfall and Hong Kong) are improved over the original.

• superjawes
    • 1 year ago

If you’re gonna have a Metroidvania section, you have to include [i<]Hollow Knight[/i<]. Hand drawn art andd Soulslike elements. Although it is worth nothing that the game just made its way to Switch, which should be an excellent place for it.

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Hollow Knight is a totally awesome game! I didn’t include it because it’s only 34% off. Totally worth the $10 though.

• superjawes

I can understand that.

• DancinJack
    • 1 year ago

Witcher 3 GOTY for 20 bucks is a pretty insane deal. The base game is amazing, they gave people free DLC, and then gave people two really great expansions for relatively cheap. Blood and Wine is really, really great. One of the best DLCs I have ever played.

I understand it’s been that price previously, I am more speaking to the amount of spectacular content you get for 20 bucks in this case is pretty astounding. Get it.

• tacitust
      • 1 year ago

No doubt I will get it in a few more years — once I have finally completed Witcher 2…

• odizzido
        • 1 year ago

Witcher 2 is bad compared to the third one.

• DancinJack
          • 1 year ago

I’m not sure I would say bad, but it’s definitely not as good.

• Pettytheft
          • 1 year ago

They said the same about going from the first to the second as well. I just can’t get into the Witcher series. Doesn’t grab me at all. The combat tedious and I don’t enjoy the characters.

• odizzido
            • 1 year ago

I actually liked the first one a lot better than the second.

• MrDweezil
      • 1 year ago

I can’t seem to get into these games. I finished the first one 100 years ago but remember next to nothing about it. Since then, I’ve attempted the 2nd one 4 different times and have never gotten beyond the first swamp area without losing interest. For the 3rd one, it was partway through Velen after the intro area. They seem well made, but its like every aspect of them (the setting, Geralt, Geralt’s voice, the combat system, spells, potions) were designed to be unappealing to me.

• DancinJack

/shrug

It sucks you don’t like awesome games 🙂

• 1 year ago

We’d all say the same thing about something someone else doesn’t like but we do. Variety is the spice of life. Embrace it. If we all liked the same stuff I think it’d get pretty dull.

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

I know. That’s why I said it. Notice the wry smile at the end FUNK.

• brucethemoose
        • 1 year ago

Ditto. I bounced off 2 and 3 multiple times, but I don’t have a single criticism of either game.