Navigate cable clutter with Caavo’s Spotlight HDMI cables

From the “why hasn't anyone done this before” department, we bring you Caavo's Spotlight HDMI cables. I know a cable isn't exactly the most exciting thing in the world, but these are pretty neat. Both ends of the cable have a little LED light on them. Press one, and the other one blinks. That way, you can easily see what cable goes to what device without having to lean over and check which display went off when you unplugged it.

These cables fully support HDMI 2.0b and all of its auxiliary functions, like HDMI-CEC, HDMI ARC, and Ethernet over HDMI. The connectors are made from pure copper with 24K gold-plating for corrosion resistance, and the outer mold of the connectors is aluminum. Caavo says that the cord itself is triple-shielded, too. All in all, completely as expected aside from the LED lights.

These HDMI cables were initially a pack-in for Caavo's main product: the Caavo smart media box. Hook up all your media devices to the Caavo, and you can control them using a single remote or voice commands, right down to media selection. It's an intriguing idea for folks who watch a lot of video across a lot of streaming services, so check out The Verge's review if you want to know more.

The fancy cables are available from Caavo's website. You can buy the cords in 3' or 6' lengths (91 or 183 cm). Either size offers your choice of a simple black outer covering or a red-and-white woven cloth sheath. The company is running a limited-time promotion right now where you can pick up the cables at a significant discount if you buy several at once, so if you're interested and have a lot of devices, now could be a good time to buy.

• Zalansho
    • 1 year ago

Neat, but consider me a little Krogothed. Now if someone did this with an electroluminescent cable sheath or strands in the braiding… That would be cooler.

• odizzido
    • 1 year ago

At first I thought the LED would light up the front of the cable so you could see better when plugging it in. That would have been much better.

• One Sick Puppy
    • 1 year ago

Looks like the connector is abnormally long and will put additional leverage stress on the HDMI plug.
    I prefer colored cables and if that doesn’t work, silver Sharpie pens do the trick and u can use whatever cable u like.
    However, people like to spend money on flashy LEDs, so…

• Wirko
    • 1 year ago

The price is exactly right for early adopters. Others can wait, then get cables like these for the price of [url=https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Visible-Light-USB-Cable-Data-Sync-Charger-Cord-Fabric-FIT-Android-PHONE/202345179365?hash=item2f1cb668e5%3Am%3AmUIe_M_awaqwO2i3V4SxWsw&var=502324535411<]this one on eBay[/url<]

• psuedonymous
    • 1 year ago

For my own setup: Nah, not worth the expense.

For maintaining someone else’s spaghetti install shoved at the bottom down the back of a chest high cabinet bolted to the wall and locked with a key stored in another building (in another country) that you could not swing out anyway because other live equipment in the cabinet has had too short cables installed: Absolutely yes gimme gimme worth every penny.

Even if the ‘in theory’ cable labelling scheme actually turns into an ‘in practice’ cable labelling scheme (AND the labels are actually correct), that still means that having one end of the cable means I need to check the label on every other end in order to reliably find where the other end is. Or I can push a button on this end and have the other end emit the blinkenlights.

• 1 year ago

We have these on our ethernet patch panels. They’re great, because we have something like 1500 cables in a massive tangle at the front.

TV’s have, what, four HDMI inputs? I’m sure you can work out which cable is which when there are only four options, and chances are you don’t have four identical HDMI cables either.

• 1 year ago

[quote<] LED light[/quote<] Maybe I'll go to the ATM machine and withdraw some cash by entering my PIN number so I can buy these cables with Light Emitting Diode Lights. 😆

• 1 year ago

You’d better dress up in your SCUBA aparatus, too.

• UberGerbil
        • 1 year ago

Because that will protect you from the HIV virus.

• Grahambo910
          • 1 year ago

I’d like to see the PCB boards those LED lights are attached to.

• Shobai
            • 1 year ago

The connector looks a little non-standard; I’d love to see the CAD design.

• 1 year ago

Please stop, I can’t handle any more of these TLA acronyms.

• Wirko
            • 1 year ago

Let’s get back on topic, which is the HDMI interface cable.

• 1 year ago

You can usually find out by looking at the on-screen OSD.

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Wait, what’s the problem? Light (visual radiation) is not the same word as light (physical object that emits visible radiation).

• DancinJack
    • 1 year ago

Yeah, no. 20 bucks (regular price) for 3′ and 25 for 6′. Just, no. And yeah, there is a discount for the more you buy but when you’re starting at 15 or 20 dollars for 3′ of cable, you’re already into crazy territory if you need four or five.

[url=https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427<]This[/url<] cable is 3.99 and gets you nearly every thing this blinky light cable does. [url=https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13757<]Here[/url<] is a fancy braided version if you want to spend more money (but still less than these Caavo cables) But hey, if the blinky light is worth it to you, that's totally fine you want to get these. It is a nice feature. Just not nice enough to justify this kind of cost IMO. edit: forgot a paren edit2: Also forgot to mention that the two cables I linked come with a lifetime warranty. I don't see any warranty information for these Caavo cables unfortunately.

• VincentHanna
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]you're already into crazy territory if you need four or five. [/quote<] I disagree. If you DIDN'T need 4-5, THAT's when you are in crazy territory. Of course you can replicate this amazing feat of engineering just by putting a little colored tape at both ends.

• UberGerbil
      • 1 year ago

Still cheaper than the Monster versions without this feature (but “gold plated” connectors).

I once needed a 6′ HDMI cable asap and on my way to Fry’s passed a Radio Shack so I stopped and checked. Their cheapest cable was $30 and the Monster ones were $60. Fry’s had a 3 pack for $9.99. I still have one of those “20x cheaper than Monster” cables in my “spares” box.

• Amiga500+
    • 1 year ago

Is there any network cables with these?

The server room in work is a spaghetti mess. While I can’t force central IT to change overnight, something like this would be very bloody helpful!!

• koaschten
      • 1 year ago

[url<]https://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/pack-of-100-write-on-label-cable-zip-ties-100mm-x-25mm.html[/url<] One at each end, write the other ends port descriptor on it. After 5 years I still haven't labeled every cable at new company, but every changed/new cable gets labeled and it's getting better.

• curtisb
        • 1 year ago

[url<]http://www.dymo.com/en-US/industrial-labeling/rhino-industrial-5200-hard-case-kit-label-maker[/url<] Much cleaner look and you can batch print them...including printing the patch panel labels. We have a couple of 6000's at work, but those aren't available anymore. They have some newer models, but I don't have any experience with them yet.

• psuedonymous
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Is there any network cables with these?[/quote<] Almost. There are patch panels (e.g. iPatch) that will illuminate link endpoints for patching and repatching.

• JosiahBradley
    • 1 year ago

They make these little cable marker things that work well for identification purposes as well and probably are cheaper overall.

• tanker27
    • 1 year ago

Only if Monoprice.com sells em. The only place I buy my cables from.

• Ryhadar
    • 1 year ago

So, A) Cool but B) $20 for a 6′ HDMI cable? Yeesh.

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

$13.75 apiece if you buy four. But yeah still kinda pricey. They look nice at least.