Thursday deals: a 1-TB Adata SU800 SSD for $150 and more

Howdy folks. From the outside, it might look like a slow week at TR HQ, but we're cooking up multiple reviews for your delectation. While you're waiting with bated breath for the upcoming analysis, you might want to take a gander at our selection of deals right below. Today's theme is “big.”

• First up, a big SSD for your extensive game library: the Adata SU800 1 TB. This drive can push 560 MB/s in sequential reads and 520 MB/s in writes. It should be plenty fast for most any system, and can be obtained from Rakuten for just $149.60 with the checkout code AD15. That price works out to a super-low 15 cents a gigabyte.

• It's a safe-enough guess that more than a handful of you have salivated over the prospect of one of Intel's high-end Core i9 processors. If you're considering taking the high-end-desktop plunge, how about the Intel Core i9-7900X? This CPU packs 10 Skylake-X cores with Hyper-Threading and single-core Turbo clocks up to 4.3 GHz (or 4.5 GHz when Turbo Boost Max kicks in). There's a whopping 13.75 MB of cache on tap, too. Take this processor home for $849 from Newegg with the promo code EMCPVRX27.

• Next up, a handful of pieces to potentially accompany that CPU. The first one is the Fractal Define R6 case. The model on hand has a tempered-glass side panel. Seeing as it's an R-series case, the Define R6 has meaty sound-proofing material. The chassis can take in boards up to E-ATX size and comes with three preinstalled Fractal Dynamic X2 GP-14 140-mm fans along with a Nexus+ Smart Hub fan controller. This case is usually seen prowling about for well north of $130, but you can grab one for only $109.99 from Newegg.

• Rainbow-lit keyboards are as popular a computing item as anything, and the Logitech Orion Spectrum G910 is a fine sample of the genre. This clacker has Romer-G switches underneath the fancy keycaps, a crapton of dedicated macro and shortcut keys, a volume roller, and even a mobile phone dock. It's a piece of kit that usually goes for a pretty penny, but you can have it from Best Buy for just $89.99.

• Graphics cards prices got you down? We can help. The MSI Duke GeForce GTX 1070 Ti graphics card is simple and effective. It bears a three-fan cooler and a stock 1683-MHz boost clock that Pascal's smarts will almost certainly override. If you're thinking “$500 and up,” let it be known that you can have this particular model for just $419.99 from Newegg with the promo code EMCSPVRW2. How's them pixels?

• It seems it's the season for Kardashian-butt-sized monitors. We have two of those today, as it happens. The first one is the LG 43MU79-B. This 43″ IPS display has a resolution of 3840×2160 and a healthy 350 cd/m2 maximum brightness. There are four HDMI inputs for picture-by-picture and picture-in-picture functionality, along with DisplayPort and USB Type-C connectors. Additional niceties include built-in speakers and a three-year warranty. Put this monitor on your desk or wall for a mere $519.99 with the promo code EMCPVRX52 at Newegg. That's only $12 per 4K display inch.

• That LG display above is sweet, but if gaming is in your blood, you might want to check out the Samsung C49HG90. This gigantic 49″ ultra-wide display employs a quantum-dot-infused VA panel with a resolution of 3840×1080. The maximum refresh rate on tap is 144 Hz, and there's (drum roll, please) FreeSync 2 support and HDR on tap. If all that isn't enough, there's also a blur-reduction mode that'll bring the response time down to 1 ms. This is as good as an ultra-wide gaming display gets, and you can have it for $869.99 from Newegg with the promo code EMCPVRW23.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Phartindust
    • 1 year ago

Found this the other day, and snagged one.

Huawei MateBook D Signature Edition 14” IPS FHD Touch, AMD Ryzen™ 5 2500U , 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD $599

[url<]https://www.walmart.com/ip/Huawei-MateBook-D-Signature-Edition-14-IPS-FHD-Touch-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U-8GB-RAM-256GB-SSD-Radeon-Vega-8-Graphics-Dolby-ATMOS-Win-10-Home-64-bit-Mystic/507473681?u1=jiw2a9pp9s020gmb0009i&oid=587091.1&wmlspartner=je6NUbpObpQ&sourceid=31290341854044757500&affillinktype=10&veh=aff[/url<]

• ronch

$150 for 1TB???

Goodness gracious great ballz of fire!!!

• demani
    • 1 year ago

What’s the verdict on the AData SSDs? Speed is good enough (compared to HD) but what’s reliability like?

• heerohawwah
      • 1 year ago

From personal experience, I’ve owned six Adata SSDs… I only paid for two, the other four were RMAs of the original two…. on the plus side they do have good customer service/replacement program… But I’ve moved exclusively over to Samsung and their Evo drives faster and way more reliable.

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

Eek. Reliability better be good…I just got this deal to replace a spinner in my main rig.

• demani
        • 1 year ago

Yeah I was considering it at that price. But I think I may save a few more ducats together and spring for the Micron 1100 2TB at twice the price (but the same $/GB). It’s not the fastest drive on the block either, but I’ve had good luck with Crucial in the past so no reason to expect otherwise I think (unless someone here has bought 2 and used 6).

• Neutronbeam
          • 1 year ago

I was doing the exact same thing–had that drive in my Amazon shopping list–then realized I just can’t use that much space–my music, files, games, are all stored online. 1TB should last me quite a while, so I’m saving some cash by not going bigger.

• albundy

hah, what reliability?

• euricog
    • 1 year ago

Don’t get this stupid trend of enormous ultra-wides with only 1080 vertical pixels. I’m very happy with my 34″ 3440×1440 and can’t imagine going bigger with less vertical space. Am I alone in this reasoning?

• Physicist59
      • 1 year ago

This is a 2K monitor. It can be driven fairly well by even mainstream cards from a generation or so ago. Bumping up to 4K increases the demands on the video card and may force an upgrade, which would cost as much or more than the widescreen monitor at today’s prices. So, given a choice of a few hundred dollar upgrade vs. over a thousand, most of us pick the lower cost.

That said, two decent 1080p monitors gives you as many pixels at much lower cost, but with a bezel down the middle.

What you get depends on what you can tolerate and your equipment can handle.

• auxy
        • 1 year ago

3440×1440 is still only 60% of the pixels of a 4K display. A mid-range graphics card like a GTX 1060 or Radeon RX 480 should have no problem driving this resolution in games. I just recently got an RX 580 to play with and it does very well for some games in even 4K resolution.

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

It’s two 27″ 1920×1080 monitors side-by-side with no center bezel.

• sreams
        • 1 year ago

Or… it’s the bottom half of a 54″ 4K display.

• MOSFET
      • 1 year ago

I agree with [i<]euricog[/i<] and have no idea why there are downthumbs. "This gigantic 49" ultra-wide display employs a quantum-dot-infused VA panel with a resolution of 3840x1080."

• demani
      • 1 year ago

Not alone, but it really depends on your use case. But I happen to like monitors at the same 3440×1440 resolution too, though use 1080 displays all the time and don’t have any complaints about those either. And I like those 2560×1440 displays too (actually, that is my favorite all around size display). But I can see why people might like the 3440×1080 displays too. And since it has half the pixels of a UHD screen it needs half the horsepower to drive it-plenty of games would benefit from more side space more than more vertical space.

• e1jones
      • 1 year ago

One company I was at briefly was using 27″ 1920×1080 monitors (Samsung maybe?). The damn things gave me headaches ‘cuz they were so grainy.

I have Dell UltraSharps at home, a 2408 WFP and a 2410 WFP. 1920×1200 is my personal minimum, especially once it’s bigger than about 20/22″. 1080 on anything over 22″ is just not OK. Works reasonable well on a 13″ laptop, but that’s about it.

If I went to one of the much bigger screens (like the 43″ listed here), I might be ok with loosing the 16:10 aspect ratio… otherwise you’ll pry 16:10 out of my cold dead hands. Fortunately I can get a newer model 24″ WFP fresh from dell if necessary (and at about half the price).

• Star Brood
      • 1 year ago

Do you like to look up and down, left and right or just left and right? It’s all about the ergonomics of the thing.

I’ve used giant monitors, dual monitors and triple monitors. I prefer the dual monitor setup but if I could get it without the bezels that’s even better.

Therefore, the wide monitors work, but this one in particular is way too pricey.

• Kretschmer
      • 1 year ago

Yeah, it doesn’t make sense to get a gaming monitor this wide when a lot of UIs and games won’t play well with that aspect ratio. Even @ 3440×1440 I find games whose UIs don’t cope well.

• freebird
        • 1 year ago

The 1080 screen height is a deal breaker for me going forward… (currently own a 27″ 2560×1440@144hz Benq) I had in the past enjoyed 5040×1050 (3x1680x1050) back in the day with 2 or 3 5850s prior to a 2 x R9 290 upgrade, but that Wide Screen resolution back then required too many hacks to games/bad GUI placement and the bezel compensation was a pain too.

I’ll wait another year or two to see if I can find a 38″+ 3840×1600(or better) @ 120hz+ WITH FreeSync 2/HDR… and yes I may have to wait longer than 2 years.