Far Cry 5 gets FreeSync 2 HDR support in latest update

Far Cry 5 has offered HDR support for some time now, and I've certainly enjoyed the blinding highlights and pitch-black shadows its HDR mode provides on my TV. If you have a Radeon graphics card and a compatible monitor or TV, however, Ubisoft has made living the high-dynamic-range life easier with FreeSync 2 HDR support baked into the game's latest update. Flip a switch in the game, and your Radeon display chain should begin delivering low-latency, variable-refresh-rate HDR goodness just as Ubisoft intended.

For those unfamiliar, FreeSync 2 HDR displays communicate critical information about their color-reproduction capabilities and dynamic range directly to the graphics driver, leading to potentially lower latency from reduced processing overhead for color and tone mapping. FreeSync 2 monitors are wide-gamut by design, and they also support AMD's Low Framerate Compensation technology by default. That means gaming at the low end of a FreeSync 2 display's refresh-rate range could be smoother than on a regular old FreeSync display.

Finally, FreeSync 2 claims to seamlessly manage the transition from standard color spaces and dynamic ranges to HDR content so that you don't need to flip Windows' HDR display settings on and off when transitioning between those two worlds. If you have a compatible display chain and want to take advantage of Far Cry 5's new HDR chops, AMD says FreeSync 2 HDR support is rolling out in a free update today.

Is Far Cry 5 any good?

I have a free copy but haven’t bothered installing UPlay yet.

• EzioAs
      • 1 year ago

If you don’t want it, give it to me.

• 1 year ago

It’s already registered to my email address as part of the conditions of the promotion and to download my key I have to install UPlay on a machine with the qualifying GPU it came with.

So many hoops to jump through and I’m not even sure it’s worth it even if the game was decent. I also have a copy of The Crew 2, but that’s not even worth looking at because it flopped in every review I’ve ever seen of it and the first game was uninspiring and derivative too.

• DoomGuy64
      • 1 year ago

I don’t have a Uplay account either, and EA has pulled more than enough lootbox and microtrans shenanigans for me to stop using their platform too. Blizzard has nothing that interests me recently, and at this point if it doesn’t release on steam or gog without 3rd party drm, and includes the full game without gimmicks, it’s not getting purchased. None of the free game to sign up for a worthless service antics will persuade me. Hell, twitch is even trying it now. Just no. There’s too many worthless resource sucking drm clients, offering worthless microtrans games, and they’re not getting installed.

This.

• psuedonymous
    • 1 year ago

Is this the first game to actually implement the AMD-specific API necessary for Freesync 2 HDR support? AMD do not appear to host a list of supported games.

• LostCat
      • 1 year ago

IIRC Agents of Mayhem also did, but yeah I couldn’t really say.

• psuedonymous
        • 1 year ago

I had a google, but it looks like that while AoM has HDR support, and it has variable refresh rate support, it doesn’t have Freesync 2 support (so not VRR + HDR on AMD).

• LostCat
          • 1 year ago

It does VRR+HDR fine on AMD. Perhaps not as well as it would with the FS2 APIs, but those features work fine.

• auxy
            • 1 year ago

But to enjoy it you have to play Agents of Mayhem. I’d rather give myself cool-looking ritual scars with a dull knife and lye.

• Kretschmer

Does it also support the ubiquitous 55-60Hz FreeSync 1 VRR range? 😉

(I’m kidding, folks.)

• K-L-Waster
      • 1 year ago

Shhh. People don’t like to hear that the Free solution from the Rebel Alliance isn’t perfect…

• 1 year ago

I’d still take a theoretical 55-60Hz Freesync over standard vsync in a heartbeat.

I don’t care how lame the VRR is, it’s better than fixed refresh displays.