Tuesday deals: an MSI Optix MPG27CQ gaming display for $400 and more

Hullo there, good gerbils and gerbilettes. Summer's in full swing now with high temperatures, trips to beaches, and music festivals everywhere. The time is also ripe for getting gerbil paws on hot hardware deals. Here's today's catch.

• Thermometers everywhere are getting pretty hot, and deals on big fancy monitors have followed suit. We have two gorgeous displays on show today. The first one is the MSI Optix MPG27CQ. This 27″ gaming display has a VA panel with a resolution of 2560×1440 and a maximum refresh rate of 144 Hz with FreeSync support. The contrast ratio is 3000:1, and MSI says there's a mode that can bring the response time down to only 1 ms. Additional claims to fame for the MPG27CQ include a color gamut that covers 115% of the sRGB space, maximum brightness of 400 cd/m², RGB LED lighting, and a height-adjustable stand. This monitor ticks all the right boxes, and it's available at Newegg for just $399.99 with the promotional code EMCPWEP65. You can get an additional $20 back by way of a rebate card, too.

• If the monitor above just isn't big enough, well, take a good look at the LG 38UC99-W. This massive 38″ ultra-wide curved screen employs a 3840×1600 IPS panel cable of covering 100% of the sRGB color space. The panel's maximum brightness is 300 cd/m², the contrast ratio is 1000:1, and the response time is 5 ms–all pretty standard specs for an IPS unit. There are DisplayPort, HDMI, and USB Type-C inputs available, as well as picture-in-picture and picture-by-picture display modes. The 10-W built-in speakers should sound better than most monitor noise-makers, and there's Bluetooth audio on tap. The monitor's size belies its price—only $829.99 at Newegg with the promo code EMCPWEP27.

• It seems that there's always at least one 80 Plus Gold-rated power supply on sale these days, and that's just fine by us. The EVGA SuperNova 850 G3 packs a meaty power punch, fully modular cabling, and semi-passive cooling. It's only 150 mm long too, fitting into more cases than most similarly-powered units and possibly making cable management easier as well. EVGA is currently offering a free warranty upgrade to 12 years (up from the usual 10) with product registration. Take this box o' watts home from Newegg for $99.99, and you can get $20 back if you make use of the available rebate card.

• We're hoping that the slow relief of RAM prices continues humming along. Today's memory sale piece is the Corsair Vengeance RGB 16-GB set with two 8-GB DIMMs clocked at 3000 MT/s. This set is fast, colorful, and will set you back only $154.99 at Newegg with the promo code EMCPWEP53. Only a short while ago, that money bought you no-bling 2400 MT/s RAM, if you were lucky.

• How about a mobo to slot that nice RAM into? The Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming Wifi mobo comes with metal-reinforced main PCIe slots, two M.2 sockets, an Intel-powered 802.11ac Wi-Fi adapter, and a Creative Sound Core3D chip for aural pleasure. Additional niceties include Type-A and Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports and Gigabit Ethernet backed by an Intel chip. This board is currently selling for an insanely low $99.99 at Newegg. If you were on the fence about building a Coffee Lake machine, there's the ticket right there.

• Finally, a sweet-sounding deal. The Pioneer VSX-932 7.2 home theater receiver has support for the alphabet-soup of HDR standards (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, and BT.2020) and 4K video upscaling. It can also handle pretty much every current sound standard including Dolby Atmos. The receiver also has built-in 802.11ac Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and four HDMI inputs. You can get your hands on this beastie for $229 from Newegg and finally get that home cinema going.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

Does anyone know if the MPG27CQ has strobing? That 400cd/m^2 brightness is practically screaming for a strobing option.

• VincentHanna

GTX 1080TI Founders edition at EVGA. $599
    [url<]https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=11G-P4-6390-RX[/url<] I'm not happy that this is considered a good deal... but when 1070TIs/1080s are selling for $549, it IS a good deal. FYI this SKU is not eligible for Evga's step up program... you know, "just in case" they release a new 1100 series card within the next 90 days. cough, cough.

• Kretschmer
      • 1 year ago

Hey, that card is finally cheaper than what I paid in March 2017! Progress!

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

[url=https://www.newegg.com/products/N82E16824011180<]Acer 31.5" 1440p IPS monitor for $230[/url<]

• UberGerbil
      • 1 year ago

That link is 404ing for me.

• JustAnEngineer

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011180[/url<]

• 1 year ago

I looked at that receiver, but ended up buying the equivalent Yamaha instead.

I don’t think the amp is the most important part of a surround setup; I bought my RX-V583 for €250 but it’s overkill for my speakers, despite me spending over €1200 on the speakers and I still don’t have the two Atmos speakers yet.

The receiver does a million* different things and I’ve just programmed a one-button preset for the thing I want it to do all the time, which is to automatically play stereo content in DTS Neo:6 cinama mode, and anything with native 5.1 AC3 as mastered.

* – exaggeration, though I suspect when you apply a factorial to all the various (pointless) options it’s not actually that far off….

• willmore
    • 1 year ago

I just swapped out the last pair or cheap speakers I hurridly purchased when I went from 5.1 to 9.1. We replaced the couch and I added a second subwoofer. I love systems with auto-room calibration. Put the mike in place, hit the button, and listen to all the whhip whhhip noises for a few minutes. Then perfectly configured surround.

I think I bought the my first 5.1 system (Pioneer) in 1997 and I’m only on my second.

If you’ve never used a well setup surround system, you’re really missing out. There’s so many movies you wouldn’t expect to have useful surround that do.

I think I’m going to go watch a movie….

• willmore
      • 1 year ago

Didn’t end up watching a movie. Internet went out. Thanks Comcast. 2.5 hours on phone to ‘tech support’ instead.

• Thresher
    • 1 year ago

You can really tell Onkyo bought the Pioneer brand. The front face is a dead ringer for a Onkyo receiver. The remote also looks similar.

edit: Onkyo, not Denon/Marantz

• 1 year ago

If you need just a couple more inputs (which I would, in order to replace my receiver) the Pioneer VSX-933 is $399 with a $75 promotional gift card from Newegg. Six HDMI and a component video converter would be just about perfect. Can’t justify spending the cash right now, though. 🙁

[url<]https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0MJ-000T-00077[/url<]

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Come on. You know you want to.

• 223 Fan
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]and music festivals everywhere[/quote<] Damn hippies.