Report: Adobe will bring full-fat Photoshop to iPads

The definition of a “real computer” for many creative professionals has long rested on one question: “can it run Photoshop?” If you've attempted to replace your primary computer with an iPad or iPad Pro, the answer to that question has been “no” until now. If a new report from Bloomberg leak-meister Mark Gurman is correct, though, that situation may be about to change. Gurman says Adobe “is planning to launch the full version of its Photoshop app for Apple Inc.'s iPad.” This iPad-friendly app will apparently debut at Adobe's Max conference in October ahead of a 2019 debut.

Adobe Photoshop CC

As someone who treats Photoshop like a third limb, I'm keenly interested in just what “full” means in this case. Gurman reports that Adobe is working to both “satisfy the professionals who rely on its software for photo editing and illustration, and to capture casual users.” He says that means “mobile-friendly interfaces more familiar to [those] audiences.” That strategy means the desktop version of Photoshop that Mac and PC users presently enjoy will apparently coexist with this new cross-platform version for some time, according to the report.

An iPad Pro. Source: Apple

Adobe Creative Cloud honcho Scott Belsky confirmed to Gurman that work on a multi-platform revision of Photoshop was in progress, but he didn't confirm the timeline that Bloomberg's sources suggested. If Bloomberg's information is correct, however, we won't have that long to wait to see whether Adobe is about to make life easier for iPad-wielding creative pros.

• VincentHanna
    • 1 year ago

When Adobe decides that they want my money, they can release CS7. Until then… Nope.

• willmore
    • 1 year ago

This article is missing the big picture. This is part of Adobe’s “Project Rush” which brings Photoshop to iOS, Android, and ChromeOS. So, in that context, it’s pretty clear it’s a web connected thing and not a natively hosted app.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

That’s all well and good, but I hope no one is expecting a cloud based version of Photoshop to act like Siri or Alexa. It’s not just the computational effort that’s an issue here, but the amount of data that needs to travel back and forth between endpoints. Running a Gaussian blur filter will generate a much different response than asking Siri for directions to a nearby gas station.

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

Over LTE you might be right, but there are already a LOT of things that work very smoothly over wifi and have much higher bandwidth requirements than Siri. One example is 4k streaming through Netflix. Another is synching photos across devices.

So long as Adobe doesn’t try something silly, like sending entire RAW files back and forth every time a change is made, I suspect it could work very well.

• Redocbew
          • 1 year ago

Syncing photos is something that often doesn’t have a real time constraint to it, and streaming 4k from Netflix might not be the best example either, because there are plenty of concessions made to save bandwidth there as well.

Not using some kind of compression for the requests would indeed be silly, but whatever compression is used needs to be done quickly on the tablet before the request is sent otherwise it defeats the whole purpose. I’m just not expecting a cloud based version of Photoshop to be as responsive as it would be on the desktop perhaps by a wide margin depending on the workload.

• bhappy
    • 1 year ago

I wonder if this is going to set a new record for the most expensive app ever on the app store? Since the full version of Photoshop isn’t exactly cheap.

• blastdoor

Probably “free” for CC subscribers

• tipoo
    • 1 year ago

If a tablet has a role in my productivity, I’d rather be using it as a big ol’ digitizer to serve a host computer, like Apple has finally started doing in some of their pro software (the music one I think). To each to their own, but I don’t get why people want to move significant productivity to a tablet, a clamshell laptop is just a perfect form factor for it.

Particularly with iOS’s restrictions on external storage (can’t edit right off it, have to move things back and forth), the workflow sounds not very flow-ey.

• moriz
      • 1 year ago

i think this is more intended for professional artists and illustrators, where the iPad either completely replaces a Wacom Cintiq setup, or run alongside such a setup when mobility is a concern.

• Growler
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]As someone who treats Photoshop like a third limb[/quote<] I see you already paid an arm and a leg for the software.

• morphine
    • 1 year ago

My lifelong dream has always been to use Photoshop on a machine with 4 GB of RAM.

</sarcasm>

• Voldenuit

And non-expandable storage.

• TurtlePerson2
      • 1 year ago

I remember using Photoshop 15 years ago on a machine with 1 GB of RAM. 4 GB would have been a dream back then.

• setaG_lliB
        • 1 year ago

I remember running Photoshop 7 on a PII-333 w/ XP and 192MB of RAM. Now that was an eXPerience.

• the
      • 1 year ago

By in my day when I walked uphill to school both ways, you could run Photoshop with a mere 4 MB of RAM.

• tay
      • 1 year ago

It’ll be like games on a console. It’ll be 2x as performant for equivalent hardware for one reason or another. Considering the A10x is nearly as fast? as a 15W intel chip, that’s not bad at all. I expect very good performance tbh.

• davidbowser
        • 1 year ago

I think this is a really good point. If Adobe is willing to re-write chunks of Photoshop code to take advantage of the A10x and associated chips, then they can also drop A METRIC TON of code cruft in the process. I think it is possible, but will have some pretty significant constraints on it due to RAM and storage.

On that note, I would also not be surprised if this ends up being a hybrid mobile-cloud app where Adobe has some capabilities that rely on connectivity to work so that some of the data and compute are actually run in their cloud offering rather than natively on the iPad.

• blastdoor
          • 1 year ago

I was thinking the same thing, in terms of offloading work to the cloud.

• Redocbew
        • 1 year ago

The workload will probably have more impact on performance than the hardware or software, or at least we would hope so. There’s no way a tablet will stand up to the same abuse that some desktops see when using Photoshop no matter what kind of magic is done in the port.

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

Yes but it’s ARM RAM so you only need half of what you need for x86.

#EngageTheRDF

• elites2012
      • 1 year ago

you just add a micro sd card!! ROFL!!

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

I’d say it is full if the same keyboard commands/shortcuts work.

• Wirko
      • 1 year ago

What if the keyboard works but the mouse doesn’t?

• 1 year ago

It’s gotta be “full” enough to charge the annual subscription rate or there’s not really anything in it for Adobe. I can’t imagine there’s any 3rd-party plugins, but I haven’t used Photoshop in so long I don’t know if that’s even a thing anymore. It’s an interesting development, to be sure.

• RickyTick