Help The Tech Report remain independent in a shifting media climate

Many TR readers have no doubt already seen news of the continuing consolidation that's happening in the PC hardware media this morning. That move means the vast majority of the largest and most widely read PC hardware and technology sites in the world, including Tom's Hardware, Anandtech, PC Gamer, and TechRadar, now reside under a single corporate umbrella.

In light of this move, you'll recall that The Tech Report secured an independent future earlier this year. We are, as we have been since 1999, 100% free to say or write whatever we like about whoever we like. In just a couple hundred days, we will have been tracking the latest and greatest developments in PC hardware for a hard-to-fathom 20 years.

That freedom has allowed us to pursue some avenues of coverage for you that other, much larger sites either have not pursued or were delayed in pursuing. You read in-depth analysis of the performance of Ryzen Mobile APUs here before you read it almost anywhere else, and we were perhaps the second outlet to provide in-depth tests of Intel's Core i7-8086K CPU just recently. In neither case did companies sample that hardware to us. We went out and bought it with cold, hard cash, and we told you exactly what we thought of it.

On top of that, we're one of only two sites on the entire internet that puts in the time to characterize digital audio workstation performance on CPUs. We were at the forefront of frame-time-based benchmarking of graphics cards, a method that's now a gold standard for industry and media alike. We love doing those kinds of articles, and we want to do more like them.

Problem is, pieces like that cost a lot of money to write and need experienced writers to produce them. Without the winds of a multinational media conglomerate at our backs, we can't do nearly as much of that in-depth analysis as we would like. We were sanguine about the challenges facing The Tech Report when we first introduced reader subscriptions four years ago, but frankly, the headwinds against independent media have only multiplied since. We are grateful to the loyal advertisers who believe in our mission and have been longtime supporters of our work, but there are only so many of those to go around.

There's a lot going on behind the scenes at TR to lay the foundation for doing more of the coverage you value and to get it out the door faster than we've ever been able to before. For just one example, our resident dev Bruno Ferreira is currently putting the finishing touches on a testing tool that will wipe away—with the click of a button—99% of the hours of manual pen-and-paper CPU benchmarking that we've been doing since I took over that role. That means we can do more in less time or cover more in the same time while providing you with the launch-day coverage that's critical for survival in this industry.

If you believe in the mission of The Tech Report and want to help us continue our independent work, it's time to step up.

Please—for the love of all things holy—whitelist us in your ad blocker. If you do nothing else, please take this simple, no-cost step so that the unobtrusive, relevant advertising we selectively approve can remain that way. Not only are you helping us, you are helping the community members who choose not to block advertisements. Just as getting vaccinations helps prevent communicable disease even for those who aren't immune, you are helping to promote herd immunity to bad ads for our audience.

Even better, contribute what you want to subscribe and support our work in exchange for some nice perks. We've just re-upped our partnership with Macrium to bring you exclusive deals on that company's awesome Reflect disk-imaging software, a benefit that many happy gerbils have already partaken of. Reflect makes migrating and backing up PCs simple, and it's been a long-time favorite of ours. Silver subscribers now get 30% off Reflect, and Gold subscribers now get 50% off.

Thanks in advance for helping us help you and ensuring that the PC hardware world maintains a diversity of voices that—above all—put readers' interests first.

• End User
    • 1 year ago

I’d like to see all the long time readers, moderators and other chatty folks (I calling you out Captain Ned and SSK!!!) appear on the top contributors list. Time to put your money where your mouth is.

• kuttan
    • 1 year ago

Absolutely happy to whitelist TR ads but all the ads must come from TR itself and not from some 3rd parties. I cannot risk my PC security.

• hkuspc40

Whitelisted.

• RandomGamer342
    • 1 year ago

TR has been my go-to tech site for almost a decade now. It’s been about time i support you somehow. Hope you’ll stick around for the decade to come, too!

• gigafinger
    • 1 year ago

Just wanted to say that I upped my yearly donation and hope it helps keep TR running strong!

• morphine

Thanks for your support!

• Wonders
    • 1 year ago

Just whitelisted and subscribed.
    Thanks for the update and making the “ask”.
    Always happy to do whatever it takes for TR.

• Tychoash
    • 1 year ago

I have been coming here since the beginning and want to contribute. While I still remember my username and original password, I know my email address has changed since then. Where do you go to change your contact information (ahead of donating)?

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Your primary e-mail address is tied to your forum login. You can change it in the User Control Panel.

• Tychoash
        • 1 year ago

Sorry I should have been more clear. Where is the control panel? I see my username (no hyperlink), Subscribe and Logout. I don’t see a link to the control panel.

Thanks in advance for your help!

• morphine
          • 1 year ago

Heh, I take it you never used our forums. You should, there’s a ton of helpful information there 🙂

Here’s a direct link to you user control panel there: [url=https://techreport.com/forums/ucp.php<]Clicky here[/url<].

• Tychoash

Thanks!

• morphine
            • 1 year ago

No problem, anytime. Thanks for your support!

• grillman
    • 1 year ago

I’ve been lurking here for 10+ years, and building PCs since the late 90s. I finally registered and subscribed. Thank you, I’ve always appreciated this site!

• TravelMug
    • 1 year ago

Alright, re-upped, let this train roll for a bit longer! 🙂

• torquer
    • 1 year ago

When the paid subscription came out many moons ago, I signed up and was gold for quite awhile. I ended that awhile ago. Honestly, and I’m not trying to change anyone’s opinion here, my beefs over the years with TR have really been the slowness of reviews for extremely high visibility launches. Those delays started off being hours, then days, then weeks, then months. There was improvement though and I need to recognize that.

Ultimately you’re selling a product here and that product is the value offering. The quality of the work is top notch. The speed of the work isn’t quite top notch but better than it was. The layout of the site is good, the ads aren’t overbearing, it works well on mobile, etc etc. Lots of great things.

And yet, I’ve been hesitant to go back to gold. I’ll be super candid here, and by no means is this an insult. As a long long long time visitor to this site I’ve seen it undergo many changes. And while a lot of things have remained super good since Scott’s departure, I have not been a fan of some of the changes I’ve seen under Jeff’s leadership. Primarily (and almost exclusively), Jeff in my opinion gets too emotional and personal (and involved) in the comment threads. Maybe this drives traffic, maybe its just Jeff’s personal style. But I was used to Scott who rarely got down in the dirt with commenters, almost never banned anyone, and generally stayed above the fray. Immediately following Scott’s departure Jeff was right in the mix and that makes me uncomfortable. I think he and the other content creators definitely have a right and a place to contribute to the comments, but there needs to be an unseen barrier where they won’t engage as a common gerbil would. If nothing else, it maintains an air of professionalism.

I’m actively considering resubbing, but I wanted to share my only hesitation at this point for doing so. It isn’t personal, it isn’t a dig or an insult. Jeff is a smart, hardworking guy. I just wish he’d stay out of the comments unless it is to clarify or respond sparingly and when appropriate for a given piece.

My own opinion intended to convince no one of anything. Simply constructive criticism from a fan of the site.

• thedosbox
      • 1 year ago

If you’re here for the editorial, just ignore the comments (a sound policy on most sites). It’s not as if they are presented by default.

On the other hand, I appreciate it when there is active moderation of comments. It demonstrates a responsibility to the readership to keep them from becoming a cesspool.

• torquer
        • 1 year ago

Valid points and I don’t disagree. Scott was just much more, er, moderate in his approach. Jeff is far more involved which isn’t in and of itself a bad thing. Compared to Scott, though, I feel like Jeff lets his personal feelings and opinions color his frequent commentary much more. Maybe some folks like this, but I’d like to keep the perception that the guy/gal at the top is in all things an impartial party.

Its been a long time now, but there were some questionable (again in my opinion) ban activities that happened as well.

• LocalCitizen
    • 1 year ago

Allow myself to introduce … myself.
    gold member
    yeah, baby, yeah!

edit: note: lines by different guys in different austin powers movies

• Aether
    • 1 year ago

I’ve been happy to be a supporter for a few years now, and I’m glad you included a reminder about white-listing.

• carlosvp

Some feedback:

1) I think you could increase the total amount of support you get with the addition of a monthly option — ideally not a homegrown one-off thing. I support a number of other websites that I read with monthly contributions through Patreon. If you were on Patreon, I would sign up right now for a couple of bucks a month – it would just be automatic with my other pledges each month.

2) Your “we want to keep ads even for subscribers” is off-putting. As another gerbil noted, the tracking garbage that is inherent in *all* advertising platforms is hugely skeevy. On top of that, basically all of the advertising networks get exploited to distribute hostile scripts periodically. Blocking ads is basically a *security* action these days. Ars Technica gives subscribers a completely ad-free experience, for example.

I realize Patreon would take a slice of contributions, but having one fewer contribution to manage, and the ability to auto-contribute with a monthly subscription might more than make up for that.

• Bomber
      • 1 year ago

Comparing to Ars is exactly the point that they are making. TR is fully independent. Ars is owned by Conde Nast. They have money, when necessary, externally to their ads. TR doesn’t. Between subscribers and ad revenue there are no other streams of income. This allows them to not be dictated to for content.

• Ummagumma
        • 1 year ago

Ars has even made various changes to their web site that increase the video-based articles.

By “video-based” I mean articles that are presented in the form of a video clip, not an actual written article.

Lee Hutchinson admitted that Ars would be delivering more video-based articles at the request of the owner, Conde Nast.

I guess that is something that happens when a publication is not truly independent.

• carlosvp
        • 1 year ago

I realize that; yes, Ars currently has some resources that a smaller site doesn’t have. What I’m trying to point out, however, is that I want to support TR, and I would be far more likely to if they did either or both of these things:

1) have a recurring monthly subscription of a couple of bucks. Ideally through Patreon, so it could go with all the other sites I support — I really don’t want to have to manage a separate subscription just for one site.

2) make it so subscribers automatically get a tracker-free, ad-free view of the site. I block ads and trackers; that’s not going to change — but a subscriber shouldn’t have to deal with that crap to start with.

I’m sure that I’m not the only one who feels this way. I’ve been reading TR since the beginning, and it seems that many – perhaps even most? – experienced, technical users feel similarly to the above.

C.

• K-L-Waster
          • 1 year ago

Or even a two-tier approach.

Tier 1: less expensive per month, includes ads.

Tier 2: more expensive per month, no ads.

Subscribers have the choice of whether they want low cost or if they prefer ad-free.

• Usacomp2k3
      • 1 year ago

Agree with Patron. I’m not even expecting any Patreon perks, just a place to donate.

• thedosbox
      • 1 year ago

Patreon takes a big percentage out of donations – 5% + payment processing fees + payout fees, in addition to currency conversion:

[url<]https://patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204606125-How-do-you-calculate-fees-[/url<] Convenience has a cost to TR.

• Wonders
      • 1 year ago

I would support TR on Patreon, no doubt. I too prefer monthly payments to yearly lump sums.

• Nictron
    • 1 year ago

Renewed, keep up the great work TR Team! Daily reading always.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for the continued support!

• kvndoom
    • 1 year ago

I just doubled my annual. You guys are the best of the best!

• 1 year ago

Thank you for the redoubled support.

• kvndoom
        • 1 year ago

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6o93Gwiarc<]Not like I had a choice.[/url<]

• Shouefref
    • 1 year ago

Unfortunately your payment system is too limited.

• Shouefref
      • 1 year ago

But it is. I don’t have a credit card. In general we don’t use that in Europe.

• titan
        • 1 year ago

Europe is a big place. In 2016, 69% of payment transactions were made using a card [1]. Year over year, card transactions have been increasing while cash has decreased. In general, Europe does use cards. You might just need to get with the times and get one.

There are a variety of ways to get a “credit card” without actually having one. There are all kinds of prepaid or automatically funded cards that can be had from third-parties that aren’t associated with your bank.

[1]: [url<]https://www.ecb.europa.eu/press/pdf/pis/pis2016.pdf?be9989f6bd72483ebe27d8dfae1f0362[/url<]

• excession
          • 1 year ago

I live in Europe and I use cash maybe twice a month.

• Klimax
        • 1 year ago

Pretty sure they accept Debit cards too.

But PayPal as an option would be nice for those without card or who don’t want to provide card info.

• uni-mitation
      • 1 year ago

TR will be happy to take payment in the form of your first born daughter. 😀

uni-mitation

• ronch
    • 1 year ago

I think there are rumors that Chuckula is planning to donate $5,000.

• NTMBK
      • 1 year ago

I heard he was going to donate $1 for each point that Threadripper 2 scores in Cinebench MT.

• RazorSharp79TM
        • 1 year ago

When no matter the article, the comments are basically IRC-style messages from one “long-time” user to another about stuff that only they and another handful of other users know, then you know you must severely clean-up the comment section.

Being a long time reader myself, I’ve had the opportunity of seeing a few of TR’s de facto comment “enforcers” at work.

This guy you’re mentioning, will never find anything right with AMD (for instance; he has other biases – for each product type TR is reviewing he has his lines) no matter the evidence. Nothing is ok.

And what is bothering is not him actually, but TR’s lack of “political will” to police the comment section a bit. Sometimes it seems that the TR and him are a tag-team duo – Jeff&co write the articles and he keeps the comments “in line”, biased accordingly.

Yeah, I know…”freedom of speech, bro! tune out and change websites if you don’t like it”. Sure! I will! Hear that Jeff? You’ve got to realize Jeff that you’re not running the school’s math club. This is a business and some guys in the comments are driving away a potential customer.
        What will you do?

• blastdoor
          • 1 year ago

Chuckula is a gold subscriber and a long term supporter. Yes, he can be annoying as heck. But I would not want him censored for being annoying.

Now, there have been people worth banning and they have been banned. But I don’t think chuckula is in that category. He’s just annoying, that’s all. And sometimes actually quite informative.

• ronch
            • 1 year ago

Many years ago I was feeling really down and posted about it in the forums, and Chuckie was one of those guys who reached out, perhaps a bit more so than the others on that thread. Not that I didn’t appreciate their efforts, of course. I absolutely do to this day, but I’ve never forgotten what Chuckie did back then.

I don’t find him irritating, really. I think the guy’s pretty witty 9/10 of the time. Yeah sometimes his jokes fall flat but whose jokes don’t ever?

• uni-mitation
          • 1 year ago

Actually, chuckula is on our payroll. His title is AMD PR Executive Extra-ordinare! He has been an exemplary employee for all of us breaking through new sale goals. He continually does more to drive people to the green team with his subtle psychological operations masquerading as fanboism for the other team. Yep, people actually get paid for this. 😀

I will take your feedback to mean how successful his work has been.

Sincerely,

Rick MoarCoars
          AMD PR Head Chief

• BurntMyBacon
            • 1 year ago

There were a few around here that suspected as much. The real reveal here is that Uni-mitation is apparently Rick, the PR guy from AMD. That clears up a few things. ;’)

• RazorSharp79TM
      • 1 year ago

Actually his existence on this forum, with his biases, witty banters & co together with TR’s tolerance of it all is the reason I am not subscribing.

• Ummagumma
        • 1 year ago

Chuckula would be funny if he wasn’t so annoying….

• uni-mitation

In all seriousness,

1- chuckula is not for everyone. It is perfectly fine that you don’t like his comments. I also don’t like comments from other people, too.

2- I still think you should think it over because this place is not heavy-handed with its moderation of comments. I find that awesome in my opinion. It gives me the opportunity to be exposed to some very stupid, maddening, and other times irritating opinions. But then, you will find one golden nugget.

3- Even unpopular opinions about tech products are aired. Heated disagreements happen. Words are said in the heat of the moment. I find that the next day every one let bygone be bygone, and we are glad to see them again busting our chops. It keeps me on my toes. I love that. If you can’t stand the heat, just get out of the nuclear reactor like a famous San Andreas radio personality says.

4- Going to the overall scheme of things: I love freedom of speech, and for that reason I will defend the right of other people to hold & air those “stupid” opinions because at the end of the day, we were all young once, and said stupid things. Heck, some of us are really old, and still hold some silly beliefs. It means we should engage with our fellow men, and be charitable; give them the chance by their own merits to change their minds, instead of us forcing our views on them which ironically has the opposite effect.

5- Censorship is the very anathema of freedom of speech. It should only be used whereas human life is at stake. This is why as a society we have decided that to yell fire at a crowded theater is a price too heavy to pay for that man’s freedom of speech. The way to combat those fringe ideas is by directly using our own freedom of speech to engage, satirize, and let them speak so they are metaphorically hanging themselves. Once you make fringe ideas taboo, you give them power; they gain the one iota of legitimacy; and that is where I will stand and speak in defense of those that voice those fringe ideas: they get the same fair shake to be heard like the rest of us, but they also get the same chance to be mocked.

Subscribe, and be a part of this motley crew I say.

uni-mitation

• Waco
          • 1 year ago

Thank you for taking the time to post this eloquent response. I was going to be more crude. 🙂

• uni-mitation
            • 1 year ago

I tend to think my responses as too verbose. I will take the compliment though.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

uni-mitation

• tipoo
            • 1 year ago

I have a question, I may have missed something

Has anyone ever seen uni-mitatoin and adi in the same room?

Both redundant signature-ers, I don’t think I’ve seen adi since the uni-appearance.

• BurntMyBacon
            • 1 year ago

Nah. Uni-mitation is Rick, the PR guy from AMD. He signed his message a few posts up. (O_o)

• tipoo
            • 1 year ago

MoarCoars, now that’s a last name I can believe without looking any further!

• 1 year ago

Sorry that you can only exist in an echo chamber.

• anotherengineer
      • 1 year ago

nah, I think he should donate $5 for every negative thumb he gets and get a $5 refund for every +100 thumbs he gets.

🙂

• gerryg
      • 1 year ago

I heard that was per month.

• ara
    • 1 year ago

I am a new user here, just subscribed. Just wanted to say thanks. I have been reading TR for the past year, and I have really enjoyed it. Thank you for all the great efforts.

• 1 year ago

Thanks for stepping up and thanks for being a reader!

• HERETIC
    • 1 year ago

If, in this ever changing world, things get worse (probably going to get some stick for this.)
    and your considering a pay-wall. How about PAYG in the form of mining.

If there was a couple of tick-boxes on TR which said-
    “Please allow us to use 25 or 50% of your CPU for mining while you visit this site”
    I’D TICK THAT NOW………………………

How complicated it might be-or even worth it, I have no idea.
    Just a thought………………….

• MOSFET
      • 1 year ago

Just my opinion, but I would not be OK with mining while browsing. I am more than happy to subscribe and I will consider voluntarily paying more than I have been for my Silver subscription for the past few years.

This really is one of the friendliest and more knowledgeable tech communities anywhere.

• DancinJack
        • 1 year ago

I suspect you’re among the majority here at TR. I doubt there are many that want the mining option. Just my guess obviously.

• DeadOfKnight
    • 1 year ago

Sometimes you just need to remind us to renew our subscription. Glad to do it.

Thanks for re-upping!

• AGS
    • 1 year ago

I’ve been lurking here since 2001 when I found this site prior to hand building and using my first PC (grew up in a Mac household). Since then I have built many PC’s and more upgrades based off the reviews here. Tech Report is always my first go to place for reviews; I’ve waited patiently until your excellent reviews are complete prior to making those purchasing decisions. This subscription is way overdue – keep up the excellent work!

• 1 year ago

Thank you for stepping up!

• Klogg
    • 1 year ago

I hear your point about not replacing ad revenue with subscription revenue- not my favourite approach but your call.

But, talking about features for subscribers, but how about full feed RSS? Not necessarily for the multi page articles and reviews, but it would be amazing to not have to click through for the more news style posts. Ars did it, and that was what pushed me over the edge to pay. Granted I subscribed to TR today, but doesn’t mean it wouldn’t be an awesome carrot to lure more in. I can’t be the only one kicking it old school with RSS instead of desperately keeping up with the twitter machine…

Doooooooooo it.

• Gyromancer
      • 1 year ago

We do have [url=https://techreport.com/feeds.x<]multiple RSS feeds[/url<], unless you're asking for something different than what we already offer.

• Klogg
        • 1 year ago

Something different. This article has 715 words, the RSS feed has only the first 86 of them and the hero graphic. The feed is structured as a teaser and prospective readers always need to click through to the site to read. What I am suggesting is that subscribers be offered a unique feed URL & token that provides the full text.

Two nice benefits:
        1) Saves the lazy a mandatory click / swipe on the shorter articles.
        2) Those of us whose work regularly takes them offline batch download the RSS feed and read offline. TR is impossible to read this way since every entry requires visiting the site.

Does that make sense?

• Gyromancer
          • 1 year ago

Ah, I see what you’re saying.

• 1 year ago

I’ve noted this as a potential gold subscriber benefit we can explore.

• Klogg
        • 1 year ago

Cool, appreciate you considering it.

• meh
    • 1 year ago

(hate to be the other side…)

There are loads of wonderful things that have plenty of value. Satellite radio comes to mind. So does netflix. Alas, one (namely I) can’t justify paying for all of them.

Some wonderful, important, appreciated things, simply have no monetary value.

Journalism is one of those things.

I’ve been reading TR for well over a decade now. I read it daily. I’ve built a few wonderful custom builds from nothing more than lots of TR research.

And without TR, I’d have managed elsewhere, just the same.

You have my appreciation, and you have my emotional value, but there’s simply no dollar worth to journalism.

As for ad blockers, I block at the hosts-file level. I’m happy to see TR ads, if they are served from TR servers. Privacy rules out connecting to mysterious and unknown third-party domains.

• DancinJack
      • 1 year ago

Sorry, but you’re wrong. Just because you have a choice right now doesn’t mean journalism has no monetary value.

• 1 year ago

Don’t be sorry. He’s got a moronic opinion.

• blastdoor
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]but there's simply no dollar worth to journalism.[/quote<] Before I strongly disagree with this, I’d like to better understand what I’m strongly disagreeing with. Could you elaborate on what you mean by this?

• thedosbox
        • 1 year ago

Don’t bother, it’s an absurd justification for being cheap. If he didn’t find value in journalism, he wouldn’t be reading. What he means is that he doesn’t want to pay for it.

• blastdoor
          • 1 year ago

Or, he might mean that the market price for journalism on the Internet is nearly zero (or at least has the appearance of being nearly zero). Or, relatedly, that since he doesn’t *have* to pay, he won’t.

Those things might be true but they are not the same thing as “no dollar value to journalism.” Just because the market has failed to come up with a price for something doesn’t mean it has no monetary value. It just means that the monetary value is more difficult to assess.

• thedosbox
            • 1 year ago

[quote<] Or, relatedly, that since he doesn't *have* to pay, he won't. [/quote<] I'm pretty sure that's the case. I'm also sure he'll be one of the first to complain about the state of journalism when all the good sites die off.

• meh
        • 1 year ago

I mean that television news was not only free, but didn’t even need to pay for a broadcaster licence. They were given free air time, because news was deemed to be important.

Newspapers, similarly, always free. You paid pennies for distribution/delivery, but never for the content.

Radio, always free.

And now, internet news is also free.

We’re talking here about journalism that isn’t even news. It’s marketing. Journalism about branded products isn’t news. It’s product announcements.

Think about it. It’s completely meaningless when I’m not in the market to buy a computer. There’s no reason for me to know about the performance specs of the latest nvidia card.

And when I am in the market to buy a graphics card, it’s simply a neutral product announcement — presuming that the official product announcement isn’t also neutral — obviously.

You’re suggesting that I pay for TR to advertise nvidia products to me, whether or not I’m in the market to buy anything at all.

Sounds to me like nvidia should be paying TR to tell me about nvidia products, because I trust TR and I don’t trust nvidia.

If I want to buy a graphics card, I’ll do my own research as best I can. If TR can save me that effort, so much the better. But I’m not going to pay (for info) just to pay again (for the product). That’s silly.

I guess magazines are a form of paid journalism. 100%, buy the magazine, get the journalism — the best universities, the best perspectives. So I’ll say this. Anyone who buys magazines probably has terrible teeth.

• K-L-Waster
          • 1 year ago

Your user name sums up the value of your contribution admirably.

• meh
            • 1 year ago

Like I said, really not intending to contribute here. This is a product announcement. Brand-awareness marketing. The brands contribute. I don’t.

It’s all ads. There’s no content, no entertainment. Every TR article is a product advertisement. Who should pay for that?

• Ninjitsu

What?

You pay for TV channels, or you pay taxes for state TV. Radio is also free in exchange for sitting through more ads than content, or via tax money. You pay for newspapers too, not (just) for delivery. ffs, what are you 5?

• meh
            • 1 year ago

TR is NOTHING BUT product ads. There is absolutely zero music, zero entertainment. It’s absolutely nothing but ads.

So you’re 100% correct. I’m not interested in paying for nothing but ads.

Be happy that I’m interested in product ads to begin with.

• Redocbew

Dude, just go away.

• thedosbox
            • 1 year ago

Nonsense. Ads only tell you what the advertiser thinks will get you to buy their product. Not what you need to know, or what they’re lying about. If TR hadn’t done it, the advertisers wouldn’t have talked about frame latency.

• nanuk25
          • 1 year ago

Done correctly, internet journalism is the opposite of marketing. I’m not sure if you’re just young and native, trolling, or genuinely clueless?

Independent journalism is what fact checks the marketing material, and takes the spin off. If you have readers pay for the journalism, you get a more unvarnished truth. If you have the vendors pay for journalism (such as nvidia), you get the truth, as the vendor wants you to see it. Vendors have a lot of ways to influence the content when they’re the ones paying for it. This isn’t rocket science.

And there is certainly a tangible money value to quality, independent journalism (especially in the case of tech reviews). ie, good, factual info can steer you to the correct products, that may cost less than the alternatives. Sometimes free journalism will give you the same info, sometimes it won’t.

When TR helps make many other sites more valuable by developing better test procedures, or helps get controversial vendor info published when other sites don’t, they’re benefiting you. All your other “free news” sites wouldn’t have as useful of info without that contribution. You’re just celebrating that you’re super cheap and getting everyone else to pay for those benefits for you.

• Forge
      • 1 year ago

You may not have noticed, but there’s an ever-increasing dearth of independent hardware review sites. They’re being increasingly gobbled up by publishing conglomerates who are decidedly NOT neutral, and there are not a lot of new startup sites to replace them. Do you trust the big sites to stay neutral when money is on the line? TR is in an underdog minority by keeping the money men away from the review people. That’s worth a subscription to me, I want to know that if TR reveals that $New_Intel_CPU throttles all the time or $New_AMD_GPU cheats and cuts corners while rendering, it’s not just because some large corporation just signed a large ad contract a week ago. TR reports REAL info, and aren’t afraid to offend an advertiser. There’s not much else out there with that kind of hard commitment to Truth.

• 1 year ago

Thanks for being a reader regardless!

• Wirko
        • 1 year ago

I’d add: … despite it being in deep conflict with your values by serving Google ads!

• Peter.Parker
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]...no dollar worth to journalism[/quote<] I don't think you really understand the point. What you said about journalism, you could have said about transportation in general. I mean, why pay a cab or get a bus ticket, when you can walk anywhere yourself? Or, you know, run if you're in a hurry? Why pay for services like Netflix or Hulu when Youtube is free? You can still get to see something, and you can always have a friend telling how that movie was, without paying for the rights to actually see it. Right, the point was, you are paying to get a BETTER service, not just A service. In the same way, Jeff asked you to subscribe in order to get BETTER reviews, not just your run of the mill reviews for the regular buyer (not that is anything wrong with that). Even more, he explained that TR would be happy with your whitelisting their (yes, it's spelled "their" not "there") ads, which is free the last time I checked. But I guess the whole point of your comment was to justify your parsimonious behavior, at least to yourself. Trust me, you ain't fooling anybody, your arguments fell flatter than a presidential tweet.

• techguy
      • 1 year ago

You make the same philosophical mistake that Communism does. Just because alternatives exist now, does not mean they always will. Remove the monetary incentive, and the product/service will eventually disappear.

• modulusshift
        • 1 year ago

I think this site still existing, completely independent, is actually a pretty serious refutation of that concept. It’s not like these guys couldn’t make more money elsewhere. TR could have sold out years ago if money was the driving factor. But it isn’t, it’s only a factor inasmuch as the artificial scarcity of capitalism forces them to seek a sufficient paycheck to not starve to death. The staff of this site write for the love of tech, as far as I see. That kind of ambition, that reason to be here, is what we need, and capitalism threatens to snuff out with multinational conglomerates further supporting the commoditization of the media. Remove the monetary incentive, and TR is all that would be left, but producing better work than ever.

• Kougar
      • 1 year ago

I can understand not supporting the site directly, but denying the site ad revenue (and apparently the majority of other websites you visit) is something else. Browsing them while blocking all ad revenue isn’t any different than torrenting your favorite software or music.

• meh
        • 1 year ago

like I said, if TR served ads, I’d see them. But TR doesn’t serve ads. They tell me (my browser) to go to some other site to show me an ad. That’s like walking into walmart, and they tell you to go to the alley out back and look at their specials first.

I don’t know where that alley is, I don’t know who’s running that site, I don’t know if it’s compromised. I don’t even know what the domain name is.

I typed in “techreport.com”. I get nothing from elsewhere. I don’t get third-party cookies, I don’t get third-party connections.

Run your own ads, and I’m happy to see them.

• albundy
    • 1 year ago

hola, señor, lista blanca it is. might be inevitable though, as you grow, hostile takeovers do happen, aka “mergers”. money keeps people together.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for helping us out by taking this step.

• hubick

Gah, fine, whitelisted.

It’s not the advertising that bugs me nearly as much as all the frickin *tracking* though (which is really what causes my Privacy Badger plugin to shut off the adverts).

Can someone please start an ad network that doesn’t use end-user cookies, but rather the content of the page displaying the adverts to determine which ones should best be shown there?

Edit: Nope, can’t do it, blocked again. All those third party cookies and tracking creep me right the fuck out. I won’t violate my privacy. uBlock is disabled here, but I’m leaving Privacy Badger on, and that still results in no ads, so, yeah, sorry.

• Klogg
      • 1 year ago

The answer to the no-scummy-ads ad server was The Deck Network, and it folded about a year ago. This isn’t helpful news, but people have tried.

Subscriptions / pateron / paywalls are the real alternative, pay for what you love that is quality, have the rest subsidized by voyeurism.

• psuedonymous
        • 1 year ago

The non-network option is self-hosted ads. This avoids the cross-site tracking problem AND the malicious-embed problem.

• TheRazorsEdge
          • 1 year ago

That is not a viable option at all today.

Ad networks don’t want to pay for self-hosted ads because they have no way to verify views.

If they are not serving ad content or running scripts from their own hosts, they have literally no means of knowing how many people have seen their ads.

They could pay solely based on click-through, but they have no way to know which ads are good Click-through rate is clicks/views and generally tells them if an ad is (a) appealing and (b) on the right content.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

If you’re concerned about privacy, then I hope you’re using a VPN, and not carrying a radio locator beacon(aka cell phone) everywhere you go. I’ll complain about ads and popups now and then, because it’s annoying, but not because of privacy. I choose not to use any kind of ad blocker because I’ll just stop going to sites which go bonkers with the ads and popups. Many of them aren’t really that usable anyway when it’s taken to the extreme.

If just using a browser plugin is as far as you’re comfortable going I suppose that’s ok, but it’s not really doing much to protect your privacy.

• hubick
        • 1 year ago

Privacy is a slippery slope. You can use a VPN and your browser still get fingerprinted. You can shut your phone off and still fall to license plate and facial recognition. I do what I can.

• DancinJack
          • 1 year ago

I think you mean you do what you want to. Which is fine, but let’s not act like ad networks, among many other organizations, don’t know who (your PC) are.

• Peffse
            • 1 year ago

I honestly cannot believe that all 3 replies have been “My identity is completely public, so I shouldn’t take any precautions”. What a mentality.
            Making yourself a harder target for ad networks shouldn’t be discouraged, and I’m glad that this subscription model is another method to do so.

• Redocbew
            • 1 year ago

I honestly never even thought of ad blockers as a way to protect privacy. My point was that there are several other steps to be taken before anything you do in a browser comes into play at all. If the only thing you’re doing is loading up some browser plugin, then you’re doing it wrong.

• Peffse
            • 1 year ago

Fair point… but browser plugins can easily get rid of low-hanging fruit that lazy ad networks go after. Consciously enabling those known tracking cookies because you own a cell phone is foolish. Security and privacy isn’t an all-or-nothing practice.

• Mr Bill
      • 1 year ago

You could maybe browse TR with chrome. Then browse everywhere else with Firefox with blocking enabled. As far as I know browsers do not share tracking cookies.

• Krogoth
    • 1 year ago

My old card expired and I forgot to update the subscription. Just fixed it.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

That seems fitting. I don’t know anyone who is impressed with their credit cards.

• chuckula

I’m impressed!

• 1 year ago

I’m impressed by your support!

• Krogoth

Just upgraded to gold. 😀

• Redocbew

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVjOH7WeEKk[/url<]

• morphine
    • 1 year ago

While we’re at this, I’d like to take a moment to note that long-TR-timer Forge came up with the Mechanical TuRk name.

There was an informal brainstorm session @ TR Slack, too, but the powers that be (me, because I’m writing the damn thing) liked Forge’s idea.

• Forge
      • 1 year ago

However I can help, I do.

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

Except when you’re testing Metal in the pre-GUI’s stage and decide to dump the whole UTF-8 character sheet into it.

• meerkt
      • 1 year ago

So the benchmarks are executed by people in low-wage countries? 🙂

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

If you wanna get technical, they’re being automated in a low-wage country, so yeah!

• meerkt
          • 1 year ago

That’s not [i<]really[/i<] low-wage.

• Wirko
      • 1 year ago

Can we simply say that some reader Forge’d the name?

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

Ugh, that was painful. Take your upvotes and begone.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

You’re one of my favorite sites! Whitelisted and subscribed.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for doubling down!

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

I like to kick in the occasional mail in rebate card that I get from hardware purchases. It’s money I already spent. And for the tinfoil hat types (not me) it’s a secure way to pay.

Something for others to consider.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for the support.

• DragonDaddyBear
    • 1 year ago

Request: remind us when tax time comes around. It’s easier for me then because I usually end up with extra funds then.

• blastdoor
    • 1 year ago

Maybe you guys should charge for additional up/down thumb clicks, with a higher marginal cost for every additional click in a day. It would be analogous to ‘in-app’ purchases (FIFA coins etc)

• tay
      • 1 year ago

Chuck would be TR’s top revenue generator if this was the case.

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

It’s like you read my mind!

• Dposcorp
    • 1 year ago

I am one of those people that NEVER blocks any ads; I want the sites I visit to stay in business AND be worth reading.

• kuraegomon
    • 1 year ago

Thanks for this article – it reminded me to whitelist TR on my work browser! I feel some shame that I hadn’t thought to check that earlier.

• Stochastic
      • 1 year ago

Same! The Tech Report feels like a tight-knit community in a way that very few sites do.

• DragonDaddyBear
        • 1 year ago

It’s true. Try going to the BBQ some time and you’ll just how friendly the community is.

• drfish
          • 1 year ago

Honest question, do any other sites do any sort of community meet-up on a regular basis? I browse a lot of them, but don’t consider myself part of their communities. I don’t remember seeing anything equivalent to TR’s BBQ reminders to let me know I’m missing out on something.

• DragonDaddyBear
            • 1 year ago

I think Ars does a meet up. But I don’t think many, if any, do a community led one.

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

Yeah, Ars does some get togethers every few months, but they’re more like Q/A things about topical news rather than just regulars getting together to hang out.

• Ummagumma
            • 1 year ago

Yes, Ars does do meet ups, but I have seen them being mostly confined to the San Francisco area with the associated “Bay Area Bias”.

• Jigar
      • 1 year ago

Same here, OS updated and i forgot to whitelist TR. Done it now.

• kvndoom

At work Chrome blocks ads automatically… nothing I can do there. 🙁

• 1 year ago

Thank you for taking this step—we really appreciate it.

• tipoo
      • 1 year ago

The ads here really aren’t bad eh. Some sites it’s like, they ask you to whitelist on adblock, and then you get a full page scroller of a Toyota Sienna that interferes with the thing you were about to click on and more RGB strobing ads than all TR’er builds combined.

• gerryg
      • 1 year ago

I forgot to whitelist TR when I did a full OS re-install recently, good reminder! The ads are back again in all their RGB glory.

• the_bobbinator
    • 1 year ago

I’ve read Tech Report everyday for years… built a few PC’s based off of the outstanding System Guides… plz take my money… $$$.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for stepping up!

• swaaye
    • 1 year ago

I’ll bite. Great news, reviews and the nuttiest comments section on the web. The independence is definitely a great thing.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

Hooray for being a nutty gerbil.

Thanks for stepping up!

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]and the nuttiest comments section on the web.[/quote<] That's the nicest thing anybody around here has ever said to me!

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Came for the reports on technology.

Stayed for the witty banter.

• DragonDaddyBear
      • 1 year ago

I stay for the trolling 😛

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Stayed for the witty banter.[/quote<] Where is this witty banter you speak of?

• chuckula
        • 1 year ago

I’ve got one word for you.
        Just one word: [b<]Buffalo[/b<].

• Waco
    • 1 year ago

Happy subscriber for a few years now. The in-depth coverage TR supplies is essentially impossible to find anywhere else.

EDIT: Why not, bumped up my sub. That top 10 list is a stupid vanity thing…and I’m happy to be vain in this case. 🙂

• 1 year ago

Thank you for stepping up!

• Vaughn
    • 1 year ago

I don’t use Browser based ad blockers its all done at the router level for me and I have whitelisted TR.

• 1 year ago

Thanks for helping us out.

• gcrosier
    • 1 year ago

I figured it was time, TR has been my main source for in depth tech reviews for a few years now.

• Klogg
      • 1 year ago

This is the real answer. Founded in ’99, could have sworn I have been reading since ’97, right up there with littlewhitedog, ars, anand, Billy Wilson’s Wicked3d, and I am sure a half dozen others that folded and slip from my memory.

Shut up and take my money. I am sorry it took me so long to settle up.

• 1 year ago

Thank you for stepping up!

• oken735
    • 1 year ago

Been reading for years, but only just subscribed as I only recently got a job.

Keep up the fine, independent journalism. It is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for stepping up!

• ermo
    • 1 year ago

Here’s hoping the Mechanical TuRk works out well for you and TR.

I for one would like to see more comparison benchmarks that includes older hardware — the primary upgrade driver for me is whether or not I will see 25+ % gains in CPU/GPU performance compared to my current hardware.

Also, have you considered taking advantage of the open source Phoronix Test Suite in your benchmarks? The value of TR lies not only in its benchmarks but also the quality of its discussion surrounding benchmark results and the accompanying conclusions.

Keep fighting the good fight!

• 1 year ago

If we don’t have to manually shepherd older hardware through multiple 30-minute-plus-long benchmark runs, we may be able to gradually include more and more with time. That’s the hope of a scripted application, anyway.

• Sotax
        • 1 year ago

I would much appreciate this. I have been rocking my Q6600 since 2008 with a couple graphics updates since (8800GT& R9 270X currently). My wife forced me to update her system last year when she spilled a glass of water into her towers top fan exhaust and I ended up getting her a i5-6600 Skylake with GTX 1070 and to be honest, her system hasn’t impressed me to the point of feeling the need to upgrade mine.

• Waco
        • 1 year ago

So, maybe a dumb question, but would you be willing to release the code / binary so that we regular gerbils could run the same suites? I know it wouldn’t be a perfect comparison (due to versioning of drivers, OS, whatever) but it would be a great way to see how our systems compare to the clean installs that you test with.

I know my most hated part of reviewing (along with the wife’s) in the past was the incredible amount of time that we had to pour into benchmarking – anything to make that pain fade would make me very happy!

• MOSFET
          • 1 year ago

Oh man, I second this suggestion. I would probably pay extra subscription dues for this opportunity.

• blastdoor
            • 1 year ago

Perhaps a database of user-submitted benchmarks?

And here’s an idea — users could perhaps define/create their own benchmarks that others would then run on a diversity of hardware…. perhaps even pay other people to run the benchmarks with TR taking a cut?

And then from this database, TR could do predictive analysis of how a benchmark might perform on untested configurations….

• 1 year ago

If we could be certain that the tool wouldn’t reach people who would use it to achieve the same competitive advantage we’re realizing from it, I would have no qualms about releasing it publicly. I hate to sound paranoid, but in today’s highly competitive media environment, we can’t take a chance of that happening—it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bushel.

• Waco
            • 1 year ago

I understand – this is such a huge time-saver for reviewers I can assign no fault for wanting to protect that advantage. Adding in protection mechanisms that wouldn’t be thwarted quickly would just be a waste of time. Thanks for responding!

• ermo
            • 1 year ago

Maybe license it as freeware for non-commercial use (no source provided) and make it clear that commercial use requires a license?

Combine it with a “phone home” functionality that allows paying TR subscribers to upload their results to a server you run as a subscription perk? This would also be a value add in the sense that it allows us to see how our hardware stacks up to yours in roughly the same conditions?

But then we’re basically down the rabbit hole that is the Phoronix Test Suite…

Worth a think I guess?

• Forge
        • 1 year ago

Just to chime in with the muttering majority, I think adding one or two aged outliers to most graphs would be a big value add. Seeing the latest stuff going head to head is nice, and tells you who is fastest, but having a champion from 3-5 years ago in the race as well shows you how far the field has come, or not. I’d be really interested to see Sotax’s Q6600 in benchmarks, but I’d expect it to trail the field more than he expects. I’d be more interested to see my i7-4790K in there, since I personally think that all but the most recent top end stuff hasn’t overtaken it in meaningful ways. Justify those upgrades for me!

• Veerappan
        • 1 year ago

Yeah, something like PTS seems like it could be useful in your case, at least to some extent (it’s worth trying out at least).

Pick a set of tests to run, all automated, once it’s running just let it go until finished and come back for the results.