Ice Cream Sandwich Day Shortbread

I like my captions how I like my ice cream sandwiches: short and sweet.

PC hardware and computing

1. Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro review @ bit-tech
  2. MSI B450 Tomahawk review @ Guru3D
  3. Razer Huntsman Elite keyboard review @ Hexus
  4. ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac review @ TechPowerUp
  5. Cougar Phontum gaming headset review @ ThinkComputers
  6. The ASRock B450 Gaming ITX/ac and B450 Gaming K4 motherboard reviews @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. Steam sees surprising, significant usage dip in 2018 @ Ars Technica
  2. Godhood is an old-school god game from the creators of Reus @ Rock Paper Shotgun
  3. Hold on to your bananas: Hands-on with Mario Kart VR @ New Atlas
  4. Who will woo Haley first in Stardew Valley? You, or your friend? @ Quarter To Three (pfft, Haley? yeah right)

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Old LED light bulbs give up filaments for Spider Web Clock @ HackADay
  2. SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD review @ HotHardware

Science, technology, and space news

1. Bacteria becoming resistant to hospital disinfectants, warn scientists @ Slashdot (not good)
  2. 661 Tbps through a single optical fiber: The mind boggles @ Ars Technica
  3. San Francisco officials are planning to ban corporate cafeterias, force tech workers to eat out at local restaurants @ Slashdot

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. HyperX Pulsefire Surge RGB gaming mouse review @ PC Perspective
  2. Antec DF500 RGB Review – nice RGB, shame about the case @ KitGuru
  3. Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin break world record for most cheese on a cheeseboard @ channel3000.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• HERETIC

Industrial sabotage-
    [url<]https://www.techspot.com/news/75817-malware-strikes-semiconductor-manufacturer-tsmc-causing-assembly-line.html[/url<] This has to be a inside job, you wouldn't have your production equipment connected to the world wide wibble........................................... One commentor thinks it's Intel trying to figure out how to get 12nm working-haha

• blastdoor
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]Bacteria becoming resistant to hospital disinfectants, warn scientists @ Slashdot (not good)[/quote<] I guess we shouldn't be surprised -- I've become pretty resistant to alcohol myself. It's kind of ironic that bacteria are so good at becoming resistant to everything we try to kill them with, but despite a gazillion tons of plastic sitting around filled with yummy hydrocarbons, these stupid bacteria still haven't figured out how to eat it. Hmm... maybe we should try killing them with plastic...

• juzz86
      • 1 year ago

Or just clean the Hospital with oil!

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

“All employees MUST soak their hands in gasoline before returning to work!”

• juzz86
          • 1 year ago

Look at you getting all fancy with your refined hydrocarbons!

Sweet crude all the way mate.

• ronch
      • 1 year ago

I once smacked my desk with an empty softdrink bottle and I managed to kill a few hundred thousand bacteria.

• Redocbew
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]Bacteria becoming resistant to hospital disinfectants, warn scientists[/quote<] Subheading: Hospitals begin to smell even worse.

• uni-mitation
    • 1 year ago

[quote<] [url<]https://science.slashdot.org/story/18/08/01/2010232/bacteria-becoming-resistant-to-hospital-disinfectants-warn-scientists[/url<] [/quote<] 1- No [s<]shit[/s<] [b<]excrement (censor friendly)[/b<], It is evolution. These organisms are adapting to a new environment. Natural selection, or in this case, human action is leaving the most fit to adapt in that environment. Those bugs that maintain key dominant genetic traits pass it off to their off-springs. Having membranes that are resistant to alcohol is the key dominant trait here: those that didn't perished, and their DNA wasn't passed on. 2- A very promising thing is called [url=http://time.com/5316516/phage-therapy-virus-san-diego/<] phage therapy. [/url<] The most optimal solution for us is to take advantage of evolution to our benefit. In the case of antibiotic resistant bugs, we open another vector of attack. If these bugs then develop a more dominant trait of resistance to phages, then we use antibiotics because now that trait is no longer as dominant as the former. Once a genetic trait no longer makes a decisive factor in a species' survival, then it becomes a recessive trait: future offspring may retain the genetic information, but it will be expressed in its phenotype in different degrees of variance within a population sufficient to control it once again. It is an endless arms race, but one that must be cyclical to our benefit. uni-mitation P.S- Kind request for your consideration @TechReport: I would love to have no word filter. Words aren't evil, it is people that utter them with their evil intent that color them as such. To censor them is to put an artificial barrier to our mutual understanding & discourse. (George Carlin bit)

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

1. Yes, but the interesting part is: why now? Antibiotic resistant bacteria came about from the general public’s consistent failure to finish a full course of medication. I’m not sure the same thing holds with bacteria becoming resistant to disinfectants. Are we to believe that there’s been some widespread and consistent change in the way hospitals are cleaned?

2. Evolution doesn’t happen in a straight line. It’s branchy, it’s messy, it leaves little dead ends all over the place, and it’s slow. Of course we don’t know what’s going to be a dead end until after it’s already dead, so I’m not sure this cyclical idea would pan out. Phage therapy is interesting though. We’ll just have to wait and see what happens there.

• uni-mitation

Reply:

#1- My layman conjecture is basically odds. Anything that has a possibility of happening will happen given enough events. Since this is an environment where sterility is a must in certain places, these events occur more often. I guess it took enough events that small possibility however small to happen. I clearly do not know, but I think it is quite a well educated guess.

#2- When I said cyclical, what I meant to say was our response to this new threat. We would need to have a multi-pronged approach; throwing different attack vectors so that one genetic trait doesn’t become so dominant in these bugs as to render our treatments useless. And of course, evolution doesn’t happen in a straight line. After all we still have other species of primates that share a common ancestor with us, while other more close relatives of our species possibly died by our hands due to competition of the same like resources & environment (fighting for that niche).

uni-mitation

• dragontamer5788
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]1. Yes, but the interesting part is: why now? Antibiotic resistant bacteria came about from the general public's consistent failure to finish a full course of medication.[/quote<] Also the public's insistance to flush antibiotics down the drain (aka: antibacterial soap), use antibiotics on animals to increase yields, use anti-biotics on every single cleaning product. Its no surprise that bacteria are beginning to learn how to survive against them if we keep wantonly using antibiotics everywhere.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 year ago

I just moved from Wisconsin. The cheese is overrated.

• Pville_Piper
      • 1 year ago

Did you have to move from Wisconsin to say that?

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

Try saying something critical of Wisconsin cheese while in Wisconsin and you’ll understand. Then drive down to Kansas to complain about gluten, and head to Texas to complain about global warming.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 1 year ago

They kicked me out for not worshipping the Packers, not having an Aaron Rodgers shrine in my bedroom, car and cubicle, and dragging their cheese through the dirt.

Wisconsin devoted the state’s talent in cheese manufacturing and none in the beer.

Srsly now, I did enjoy the cheese curds from Culver’s and the fresh curds at Festival.

Wisconsin does have really nice summers.

(I was there for a year. Back in the pnw now.)

• SecretMaster
      • 1 year ago

You were buying the wrong cheese then. Hook’s makes some of the best cheese I’ve ever tasted. Their 10 year aged cheddar is heavenly

• ronch

Srsly??

• albundy
    • 1 year ago

you gonna eat that ICS? i dont mind halfsies.

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

I had one this past weekend actually for the first time in probably 10 years. Delicious.

• Growler
    • 1 year ago

Ice Cream Sandwich? Why not Jelly Beans, KitKats, Lollipops, Marshmallows, Nougats or Oreos?

• gmskking
      • 1 year ago

I’ll take some kit kats in my ice cream sandwich.

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

Uh…are those the names of Android versions? I see what you did there!

• EzioAs

Pending update…since 2012

• Wirko
    • 1 year ago

I still have some gingerbread left, and I don’t think I can save that ice cream sandwich for later, so thanks, but no thanks.

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Don’t forget that plucky garage company that just passed the ONE [b<]TRILLION[/b<] DOLLAR mark.

• Wirko
      • 1 year ago

Whoever makes the dessert in the pic is paying some fat licensing fees to this garage company. ROUNDED EDGES!

• K-L-Waster
        • 1 year ago

And it’s just one bite away from having a notch too.

• oldog
      • 1 year ago

But I guess they can’t give away food. It’s against the law.

• blastdoor
      • 1 year ago

I was reading today about the Dutch East India company. I’m not sure that it’s really possible to do a good adjustment for inflation, but allegedly it was worth about $7 trillion and paid an 18% dividend for 200 years. Now *that’s* impressive!

• RickyTick
    • 1 year ago

On more than one occasion, I’ve eaten an entire box of ice cream sandwiches.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Goty
      • 1 year ago

Now you have to get creative with it: [url<]http://www.foodista.com/blog/2013/04/06/how-to-make-the-slacker-shake[/url<]

• RickyTick
        • 1 year ago

That made my mouth water.

• gmskking
      • 1 year ago

Yea, Ice Cream Sandwiches are dangerous.

• jihadjoe
      • 1 year ago

I really like those ice cream sandwiches shaped like taiyaki filled with vanilla ice cream and some red bean paste. Yum!

• Mr Bill

Chocolate Mint Mmmmmmm!

• davidbowser
      • 1 year ago

The first step towards recovery is admitting you have a problem.

On that note, I have eaten countless pints of Ben and Jerry’s and regretted it the next day. That’s a lot of regret.

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]Dairy Farmers of Wisconsin break world record for most cheese on a cheeseboard @ channel3000.com[/quote<] You're gonna need a bigger board.

• nanoflower
      • 1 year ago

Man, a 2000 lb cheddar wheel centerpiece. Even rolling it that’s going to be difficult to move around.

• superjawes

That’s a ton of cheese.

• drfish

*faceparm*

• DragonDaddyBear
            • 1 year ago

Why the faceparm? Too cheesy of a pun?

Edit: stupid autocorrect.

• K-L-Waster
            • 1 year ago

I think this has been stretched far enough.

• Mr Bill

Whey too far?

• Redocbew

These puns are curd.

• Mr Bill
            • 1 year ago

Have +3 you cheese parmesan partisan!

• 1 year ago

Only a short ton. For most of the world, that’s cheating them out of 240lbs of extra cheese.

• not@home
      • 1 year ago

Is it good or bad that I recognize almost all the labels on the cheeses?

• chuckula
        • 1 year ago

Such knowledge of The Cheese rises far above such mortal concepts as “good” and “bad” and is instead AWESOME!

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

I live in Madison and I didn’t know this was happening! Ugh.