Thursday deals: a Radeon RX 580 8 GB for $230 and more

Hi there, folks. It's with much joy that I recently noticed that there's a “second season” to Steins;Gate called simply Steins;Gate 0. The original show is one of the most intelligent ones I've experienced, and the new one seems to be going that very same route (which is good), but it's taken or taking a long time to get there (which is bad). Any other clever shows that I should watch out for? Oh, right, the deals. We've got some good ones today, check them out.

• Along with RAM, graphics card prices are steadily floating down. Today's proof of that concept is the MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB Armor. The chip onboard this pixel-pusher has a 1366 MHz boost clock and is topped off by a dual-fan cooler with rather-large spinners. Upgrade your PC (finally!) for only $249.99 from Newegg with the promo code EMCPXPR54. Then you can use the $20 rebate card to get some cash back, and enjoy your new graphics card for only $229.99 when it's all done.

• Ever since we reviewed them, we think that G-series Ryzen processors make for excellent choices for a budget PC or a home theater machine. It's fitting that the Ryzen 3 2200G is on sale today, then. This processor has four Zen+ cores and eight threads, a 3.7 GHz single-core boost clock, and a competent Vega IGP to go along with it. Amazon's selling this chip for $89.99, and there's a Wraith Stealth cooler in the box, too.

• Who's not a fan of fast, stylish RAM? The G.Skill Trident Z kits are praised for both of those characteristics, and the 16-GB set we have on hand has two sticks clocked at 3200 MT/s. The CAS latency is 16, and the price is a particularly juicy $151.99 at Newegg. Get'em while they're hot.

• Friends don't let friends use crappy power supplies, and instead point them to something like the EVGA SuperNova 850 G2. This 80 Plus Gold-rated unit has enough juice for all but the most high-end machines, fully modular cabling, and a semi-passive fan. As an added bonus, you get a whole 10 years of warranty if you register the PSU with EVGA. Take this box o' watts home for $89.89 from Amazon.

• If you want a slightly less-endowed PSU and prefer to save a few bucks, then check out the Seasonic Focus 750 W instead. This juice pack has semi-modular cables, a 120-mm fan, and a $79 price tag at Newegg. The e-tailer will also hand you a $20 card that could make the whole deal a $59 affair.

• Finally, cheap SSD storage. The Western Digital Blue 3D 1 TB is a darn competent SATA solid-state drive that can push up to 560 MB/s in sequential reads and 530 MB/s when doing writes. Amazon is selling this drive in both M.2 and plain-old 2.5″ flavors for $173.99. If your wallet's too thin for one terabyte of NAND, the 500-GB models are conveniently priced at $88.99.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• EzioAs
    • 1 year ago

I think Sunrise mecha animes can be considered clever, with Neon Genesis Envangelion as the apex of exception (seriously, don’t waste your time on this one). My recommendations:

Code Geass – More story-focused than most Gundam series. I consider this to be the top clever series (along with Death Note).

Mobile Suit Gundam (original) – still the best Gundam IMO. More interesting plot-wise than clever though.

Gundam 00 – Some would call this a clever series but I didn’t find the story enjoyable. However, I do think it has the highest quality of animation out of all Gundam series.

Non-mecha recommendation:

Made in Abyss – I don’t know if you would consider it clever but this one certainly has a fantastic setting to move the plot and the characters. The first season just recently completed and this one really took me by surprise. I never expected to see top-notch animation and the plot is very interesting as well.

• Glix
      • 1 year ago

I found Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans to be very gripping story wise. I recommend you give it a shot, and mecha animation blows 00 out of the water.

Next on my list to watch is FMP Victory, the sequel that made me love mecha, before CG.

• EzioAs
        • 1 year ago

That’s the thing though, I watched about 9-10 episodes of Iron-Blooded Orphans and I don’t find myself liking the plot. A friend of mine did say that it’s worth to watch till the end though, so maybe I will return to the series one day. On the subject of animation, I still think 00 is better.

• Glix
          • 1 year ago

You didn’t get far enough to see the really good parts. 😀

• Kurotetsu
      • 1 year ago

I would add Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt to this list. Takes place in the same continuity as Mobile Suit Gundam. Incredible animation and soundtrack.

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Thanks for the Gundam and Made in Abyss recommendations, I’ll check them out.

I’ve watched Code Geass but the second season ruined it for me. In typical anime fashion, there’s “stuff suddenly happening without a reason” and “we’ll introduce so many things to the plot that you’ll lose it.” It just became messy and boring (to me anyway).

• Voldenuit
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]@EzioAs (#12) Thanks for the Gundam and Made in Abyss recommendations, I'll check them out.[/quote<] Oh man, Made in Abyss is so amazing, the worldbuilding is magical, and the show is so... dark. Been waiting for the second season for way too long.

• EzioAs
        • 1 year ago

Well, I can see how some people wouldn’t like the first 3-5 episodes of the 2nd season. It is still worth it though because there are plot twists later on that just make the show an emotional roller coaster.

• rika13
      • 1 year ago

Many Gundam shows are a product of their times.

The original was just another throwaway anime, not 1/2 of Japan’s economy. The later Universal Century shows (Zeta Gundam, ZZ Gundam, especially Unicorn) get much better quality. Unicorn is best watched as the OVA (the anime is the OVA, but the timing is off since it hacks 1 hour OVAs into 20ish minute episodes, but the music is top notch).

Gundam Wing was the first Gundam that was really marketed to the west. The sound effects are about as subtle as a Gundam, but the music is pretty good. They went “Power Rangers” with the protagonists, but only Duo and Qattre were really likeable. Heero is very 90’s brooding edgelord anti-hero. Trowa was all about not having a past and Wufei was as present as an alcoholic divorced father. Endless Waltz is about undoing what character development did occur (not hard to do) and making Wing Zero look like an angel, that sheds alot.

IBO was the first “western” Gundam show as they wanted to appeal to us. Ironically, it got complaints about the violence (it’s got a fatality rate up there with Zeta, but, like everything in IBO, far more graphic) in Japan. Half the series is references to other Gundam shows.

G GUNDAM IS ABOUT NATIONAL STEREOTYPES AND WE LOVE IT!!

G-Reco is best watched in states where weed is legal.

• EzioAs
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]00 was an attempt to make a new MSG and a new Gundam Wing, but with better animation and more than 2 (Duo and Qattre) likable pilots.[/quote<] I can see how it mimics Wing but I don't see anything similar to the original at all. IIRC, Seed is more similar to the original. [quote<]The original was just another throwaway anime, not 1/2 of Japan's economy.[/quote<] Maybe it doesn't have ridiculous budget but this is the series that I can understand the most because it feels real.

• sirsoffrito
      • 1 year ago

[quote<] can be considered clever, with Neon Genesis Evangelion as the apex of exception [/quote<] I'm having a hard time parsing this. You mean it is an exception to how good other mecha anime are? If so, I disagree. Eva is arguably a giant robots fighting kaiju show that is [b<]not[/b<] about the fighting but more about the characters. On top of that, the kaiju are eldritch horrors from beyond understanding and the purpose behind fighting them is obfuscated in misinformation and an air of paranoia. Even if you don't like the show, its a clever deconstruction of the genre that simultaneously managed to get the same genre out of a collective rut. I highly doubt Code Geass would exist without its predecessor.

• EzioAs
        • 1 year ago

It had an interesting premise but I’m never gonna like the last few episodes.

• dragontamer5788
          • 1 year ago

Spoilers!!!!: Shinji became god and everyone clapped while saying “Congratulations Shinji”!! Spoilers:

VIDEO SPOILERS: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8[/url<] The end. ------------- Serious spoilers now: For serious though? I actually liked this ending. I don't like the movie alternative-endings at all. Its only an ending for Shinji, but... it overall makes sense for Gendo to be a "good guy" who was looking out for his son this whole time. The movie endings make Gendo the bad guy and Shinji and even bigger dick. Not only does Shinji use his god-powers to kill the rest of the world, he also creates a clone of the three ladies he had sexual attraction for and created a new adam-and-eve scenario with the merged identities of Askua / Rei / Misato. As the movie put it best: you're discusting Shinji. Its a downer ending, but in the worst possible way. The "hero" fails repeatedly and its supposed to be mature or something. The main ending to the series requires a lot of interpretation. But oveall, Gendo sets Shinji up for the afterlife and Shinji manages to break through his depression. The merged identities of all characters in the human instrumentality project is a success and a perfect utopia / afterlife is created. It was poorly communicated, but it just seems like a more appropriate ending IMO. And I like most downer endings btw (Madoka, Gurren Lagaan, Cowboy Bebop). Its just... the utter morality fail of the main character in the Evangelion movies is so utterly disgusting its hard for me to accept it. Perhaps people really think Shinji is just that awful of a person? Maybe so much bad is going on that its hard to imagine a happy ending for the group?

• EzioAs
            • 1 year ago

Don’t forget the parts leading up to this which was just full of text and internal monologue IIRC.

• dragontamer5788
            • 1 year ago

That was the studio running out of money.

That unfortunately happens a lot. But… you get used to it when you watch enough anime. Tsukihime was [b<]purely[/b<] still shots, monologues, and info-dumps onto the audience. Lol. Anyway, bad animation isn't a big deal for me. Bad writing on the other hand... you really can't fix bad writing. Bad animation just becomes storybook time. Hell, one of the best anime I've seen (Spice and Wolf Season 1) was basically two characters talking to each other for 12 episodes. I wasn't a big fan of Season 2 unfortunately. But I really did like how Holo and Laurence approached problems through Season 1.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

More interesting animes than “yell loud and punch really hard:”
    -Death Note
    -Hunter x Hunter
    -Cowboy Bebop (watch this now!)

• dragontamer5788
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]yell loud and punch really hard[/quote<] One Punch man is quite good though. Lol. Probably because its a parody of that.

• fredsnotdead

Second the Cowboy Bebop recommendation

• LostCat
        • 1 year ago

Movie’s pretty sweet too. I would assume anyone who watches anime has already seen this show though.

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Death Note is already one of my favorites, Hunter x Hunter was added to my list. Finally watching Cowboy Bebop after many people relentlessly telling me about it.

• dragontamer5788
        • 1 year ago

Cowboy Bebop feels more like an American show for multiple reasons.

1. The Dub is better than the sub. So watch it in English.
        2. Its episodic. There’s an overall plot, but most episodes are self-sufficient (like Seinfeld, Friends, Simpsons, etc. etc.).
        3. Crazy number of references to Western media and movies. Alien references, Star Trek references, etc. etc. Being accustomed to Western Sci. Fi will help significantly.

As long as you’re aware of these things, its an okay show. Lol. I prefer more story-oriented shows personally. I’d estimate that the “core plotline” of Cowboy Bebop only consists of roughly 6 episodes out of the 26 that exist. Roughly an episode or two for each of the major characters (Spike, Jet, Faye).

I guess Ein and Ed have their own character arcs, but they are both comedy characters. Their episodes are… very… very different… from the rest of the show. (See Mushroom Samba / Episode 17 if you don’t believe me and compare/contrast it with the finale).

I mean, I certainly enjoyed the “Monster in the Refrigerator” episode and “Mushroom Samba”. But I’m going to call those episodes filler. The “[url=https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ResetButton<]Reset Button[/url<]" is very strong on Ein and/or Ed episodes.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

Remember when the 580 was a $400 part? I do. Glad to see us moving forward.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

It was more at worst buy.

• humannn
      • 1 year ago

I’m glad too. We’re almost back to the starting price the 580 had a year ago ($229).

• 1 year ago

This whole post could make the underpinnings of a cute, speedy budget gaming rig. The CPU is cheaper than even the Ryzen 3 1200, so while the onboard graphics wouldn’t be useful, they’re not hurting the price or performance. Guess you only need one PSU though. LOL

• dragontamer5788
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]Hi there, folks. It's with much joy that I recently noticed that there's a "second season" to Steins;Gate called simply Steins;Gate 0. The original show is one of the most intelligent ones I've experienced, and the new one seems to be going that very same route (which is good), but it's taken or taking a long time to get there (which is bad). Any other clever shows that I should watch out for?[/quote<] Overlord toes the line between "intelligent" and "not intelligent". Its your standard Isekai setup: main character is a level 100 MMO player who gets stuck in the video game. What makes it "intelligent" is that the show is mostly about management and setting expectations for his underlings. Anyone who has been "thrust" into a position of leadership would understand what "Overlord" is about. The main character was just an otherwise normal dude, but now has to [url=https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/overlordmaruyama/images/d/d5/Overlord_Characters.png/revision/latest?cb=20160619122954<]lead his army of demons and devils in this new world as an undead lich[/url<]. The main downside to the show is its episodic nature. Its based off of a light-novel series, and each book is basically self-sufficient. The show does roughly one book every 4 to 5 episodes. There are some tie-ins between books, but its way more episodic than I prefer. Overlord Season 3 is beginning to be shown (appears to be covering book 8 so far). Books 1 through 6 are covered in Overlord Season1 and Season2. "Not intelligent" portions include your standard sex-jokes and Isekai memes. A few shenanigans with the Succubus, the cross-dressing male, battle maids, etc. etc. But if you're used to watching anime, you know what I'm talking about. The show does a great job at contrasting the Isekai memes with a very well-built, very detailed fantasy world. Your kings, wizards, and princesses have their political games all set up... but the level 100 video game player comes in with his battle maids and starts to mess with the political order. I would also argue that Book 1 (episodes 1 through 4) were slowly paced. Its a good thing, given that its character driven and the direction of the show. But give it a few episodes... kinda like Stein's Gate, it takes a while for the overall storyline to come together. ---------- Of the Isekai anime I've seen, I'd put Overlord and Log Horizon as my favorites. Both tackle the challenge of leadership as strong themes throughout. Other Isekai shows (Re:Zero, .Hack//Sign, Sword Art Online, etc. etc.) are kind of like teenager-angst poorly written fanfiction in contrast. Or they're straight comedies (Konosuba, No Game no Life) which are hard to compare. Of the two, Overlord has more mainstream appeal. I enjoyed Log Horizon but its more "childish" in its presentation.

• RAGEPRO
      • 1 year ago

Second the Overlord recommendation. Great show. Doesn’t really feel like an isekai even though it is one. Really different tone from SAO or whatever.

That said, I’ll also throw in a recommendation for SAO Alternative: Gun Gale Online. Really enjoyable show with a different tone from the harem-like nature of SAO proper.

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

I’m going to check out Overlord and Gun Gale Online, thanks.

• Voldenuit
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Overlord toes the line between "intelligent" and "not intelligent". Its your standard Isekai setup: main character is a level 100 MMO player who gets stuck in the video game. What makes it "intelligent" is that the show is mostly about management and setting expectations for his underlings.[/quote<] AOG is the very definition of "failing upwards". He occupies a position he is wholly unqualified for, and spends most of his reign bluffing his way out from his more intelligent, competent (and lethally unforgiving) underlings. I'm watching the anime and reading the light novels (currently at book 6), and I feel that it was a missed opportunity in the inherent comic absurdity of the premise (salaryman running guild of overpowered evil demons, not the whole "transported to DnD fantasy world" bit). If anything, the juxtaposition of being an overpowered level 100 character (although the books take pains to point out that Momonga was only a middlingly powerful character in Ygdrassil because he specc'ed for role-playing and not for pure combat) with an 'average joe' placed into an exalted position of leadership could have been amazing. This could have been the reverse One Punch Man - a character that everyone thinks is infallible but is only bluffing his way through it. Oh, and he completely does not notice that Demiurge is running death camps in Ainz's name.

• dragontamer5788
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]This could have been the reverse One Punch Man - a character that everyone thinks is infallible but is only bluffing his way through it.[/quote<] Both One Punch Man and Ains are quite modest about their capabilities. In the books, Ains knows that other people are way more powerful than him. So he spends almost the entirety of books 1-3 cautiously approaching basically anyone and everyone. One Punch Man similarly thinks that anyone who does enough pushups and situps can reach his level of superhuman fitness. [quote<]I'm watching the anime and reading the light novels (currently at book 6), and I feel that it was a missed opportunity in the inherent comic absurdity of the premise (salaryman running guild of overpowered evil demons, not the whole "transported to DnD fantasy world" bit). [/quote<] Something to note is the absolute expertise the author has on DnD fantasy worlds. And by absolute, I seriously do mean [b<]absolute[/b<] expertise. Ains specifically uses the spell "[url=https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/g/gate/<]Gate[/url<]" to perfectly teleport without chance of failure, as well as provide teleportation to his underlings. Other, weaker characters, use [url=https://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/teleport/<]Teleport[/url<] and "Greater Teleportation", but any DnD player knows the risks involved. And DnD experts would recognize that Gate is the more powerful spell, giving structure to Ains's power compared to some of his underlings. The combination of [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/locateObject.htm<]Locate Object[/url<], [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/scrying.htm<]scry[/url<], as well as the anti-scrying spell [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/misdirection.htm<]Misdirection[/url<] and [url=http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mindBlank.htm<]Mind Blank[/url<] is the utter pinnacle of DnD tactics. The overall idea was explained briefly, but the fact that the combination of spells exists AND was told to the readers (and watchers, in the anime) in Book2 (episodes 5 through 8ish) was utterly awesome. Ains didn't break [b<]any[/b<] rules from a DnD perspective. Its 100% legit roleplay. Book 3 (episodes 8 through 13 season1) has Ains use the spell "Wish upon a star", which is highly implied to be equivalent to the DnD spell "Wish". Considering that he's a high-level caster, the need to push for the highest-strength spell of all of DnD only raises the stakes of the situation. None of these moves are fully explained, even in the books. Compare/contrast with Naruto or your typical Shonen which would spend an entire episode talking about the intelligence of these tactics... Instead, Overlord [b<]demonstrates[/b<] high-level tactics from the DnD community and orchestrates a plot around them. It then leaves the detailed explanation of each move as a puzzle to the watchers / readers. Or, you can sit back and enjoy the show if you don't care about this level of magical tactics... its really only there for the DnD experts. The author is clearly an expert DnD player and DnD dungeon master. Its played very low-key however, and only adds to the maturity of the situation. I'd say its a 100% must-watch if anyone is seriously into 3.5 or Pathfinder.

• Voldenuit
          • 1 year ago

Yeah, there are a *lot* of DnD references in Overlord. The ‘Floating Board’ spell that Sebas buys from the Wizards’ Guild, for instance, is a dead ringer for Tenser’s Floating Disc from AD&D.

Ainz is definitely a very cautious player, as evinced by using a Tier 10 ‘Grasp Heart’ spell on a no-name level 1 minion in the first arc. The books (and show) do mention that he carefully and meticulously researches enemies before PK attempts in Ygdrassil, and this is borne out when he defeats Shalltear, a much more combat-oriented build than he is, through clever preparation and strategy.

Of course, the key difference between Yg and D&D is that D&D uses Vancian magic while Yg/New World magic is MP-based (like most MMOs).

EDIT: I did like that Overlord borrows the metamagic skills from DnD3E (Twin Magic, Maximize Magic, Empower Magic, Delayed Magic etc.) quite faithfully.

• pirate_panda
          • 1 year ago

Supposedly the author (Maruyama) started writing the series when his old Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 group broke up. The starting premise for the novel (MMORPG shutting down, all his friends quit already) is a reference to this.