Book Lovers Day Shortbread

I'm on my 3rd Kindle, a used 6″ Oasis that I snagged for cheap. It's so much better than a “real” book.

PC hardware and computing

1. Intel SSD 660p 1 TB SSD review @ PC Perspective
  2. Seasonic PRIME Ultra 850 W power supply review @ HardOCP
  3. Intel SSD 660p review @ HotHardware
  4. Kingston UV500 960 GB SSD review @ KitGuru
  5. Intel SSD 660p 1 TB SSD review with QLC NAND flash @ Legit Reviews
  6. The Intel SSD 660p SSD review @ AnandTech

Games, culture, and VR

1. The one huge problem with Dan Simmons' sci-fi mystery Hyperion @ Quarter To Three
  2. Guide: best Switch portable chargers  @ Nintendo Life
  3. It's finally time to fix PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds @ Quarter To Three

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. The Galaxy Tab S4 is built for work, but gets very little done @ Engadget
  2. Peacock spider inspires small, soft, fluid-powered robots @ New Atlas
  3. Remote controlled electric snowblower sports FPV for safety @ HackADay (“safety”)

Science, technology, and space news

1. Feeling the heat of high-frequency trading @ HackADay
  2. Researchers insert a spider web gene into the silkworm @ Ars Technica
  3. Microsoft won't force you to use the new Skype just yet @ Slashdot (I'm burned out, will you guys rant about Skype for me?)

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. Tt eSPORTS Nemesis Switch Optical RGB review @ TechPowerUp
  2. Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2 keyboard review @ Hexus
  3. Susan Sparks: Justifying mac-and-cheese hot dogs @ hollandsentinel.com (haha, of course my local paper would publish this)
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• HERETIC
    • 1 year ago

And back to tech,and” back” being the word.

[url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/246647/intel-sneaks-in-windows-7-compatible-h310-chipset-revision[/url<] Wether I call this a win, I don't know. It's nothing unless they release a graphic driver......

• Unknown-Error
    • 1 year ago

Nothing like having a solid book in your hands and scent of the fresh new pages.

• Voldenuit
      • 1 year ago

Nothing like having a solid [s<]book[/s<] state drive in your hands and scent of the fresh [s<]new pages[/s<] liquid metal compound. Yes, I'm one of those heathens that reads everything in .epub and .pdf on a phone/laptop screen (not even e-ink).

• DancinJack

REAL PAPER OR BUST

• Redocbew

DEAD TREE AUTHORS RULE

• Yan
    • 1 year ago

Microsoft comes to its senses, realizes users don’t like Skype 8. Hell freezes over.

• Captain Ned
    • 1 year ago

Hey, don’t be posting crap about Simmons’ [i<]Hyperion Cantos[/i<], perhaps 4 volumes of one of the best sci-fi tales ever. Besides, if that snarky reviewer can't even grasp that [i<]Hyperion[/i<] steals the "frame story" concept from Chaucer, why should I trust his judgment on any piece of literature?

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

You’re missing out if you dismiss Tom Chick as snarky and don’t read more of his stuff, just saying.

• Voldenuit
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Hey, don't be posting crap about Simmons' Hyperion Cantos, perhaps 4 volumes of one of the best sci-fi tales ever.[/quote<] Well, two volumes of one of the best sci-fi tales ever, followed by two volumes of the author going off the rails about messianism, organized religion, pod people, and space Satan*. Also, something something Frank Lloyd Wright. *EDIT: Also, Space Satan turns out to be a time travelling computer... FROM THE FUTURE!

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

Real book lovers read paper. They also have dedicated libraries in their houses. They also scout out used bookstores when going on vacation.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Maybe that’s the difference that explains this divide. I’d call myself a heavy reader, but book lover implies something different, I suppose.

• highlandr
        • 1 year ago

Yeah, heavy readers like that Sanderson’s Stormlight Archive doesn’t make your arm cramp on an ereader. My daughters like that they can take 30+ books each on vacation. I like that I can read in bed with the lights off and not bother my wife.

• CScottG
        • 1 year ago

You pay for convenience and (likely *momentary) content.

I pay for an experience to cherish with a tangible connection to that point in my life that’s a visible reminder. err ..I guess you could say I collect souvenirs (..lol), or (eek) maybe I’m just a hoarder.

If you don’t want to pay, then just go to a public library – a LOT of people seem to have forgotten that’s even an option.

*by momentary I mean that unless the content has a really profound effect on you, that you likely forget most of it. Though not like reading news content, the “after-effect” with memory might be very similar.

• Liron
      • 1 year ago

Real book lovers who have to drive almost two hours to and from work settle for audiobooks 🙂

• CScottG
        • 1 year ago

..oh god, not one of those.

-you totally “zone-out” with that, and often can’t remember much specific about the drive itself (..all things you’d hope for with a good story).

Problem is: your concentration on driving goes to hell.

• jihadjoe
      • 1 year ago

I have a small library at home (close to 50% of the books in it inherited from an uncle), but I wouldn’t deny the convenience of reading on a tablet. There’s something about being able to carry the entire Wheel of Time and jump to any specific page or passage if needed.

• rechicero
      • 1 year ago

I’m a real book lover and have hundreds of them. But the e-reader is amazing: I already have the house full of books, no space for more. And it’s actually more convenient to use, you don’t even need to use one hand to keep it open.

Every book lover says the same thing at the beginning (things like the smell of paper, the feeling, etc), but they end up loving ereaders for one main reason: we love reading and they make it soo easy and convenient. And you can write notes without ruining the book!

• Mr Bill
      • 1 year ago

Agreed, and especially used book stores in other places. I have around 4800 books, probably, from rough calculation of number of shelves (~80) and four feet of books per shelf.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

Would like to star on several A&E shows?

• Usacomp2k3
      • 1 year ago

PS, the book stores were a bust. We had better luck with the local Thrift shops.

• drfish
    • 1 year ago

Small PSA for the shortbread faithful, I’ll be traveling next week and right during prime baking hours. So, there will be no bread next week for Creamsicle Day or Tell a Joke Day.

• uni-mitation
      • 1 year ago

That’s a perfectly fine opportunity for my boy chuckula to whip one up for you while you are away! I am pretty sure we need a fresh dose of thread-ripping awesomeness! The threads of life coming right-up!

Rick MoarCoars
      AMD PR Honcho

• chuckula

I’M SO THERE!

NEXT WEEK’S SHORT BREAD:

AUGUST 13th: ARMAGEDDON AT INTEL HQ DAY SHORTBREAD

[u<]HARDWARE[/u<] 1. HERE'S A THREADRIPPER 2 REVIEW 2. - > 100: HERE'S 99 MORE OF ITEM NUMBER 1. [u<]CHEESE[/u<] 1. HOW TO SURVIVE ON KRAFT SINGLES AFTER THREADRIPPER 2 ENDS INTEL'S INCOME STREAM.

• uni-mitation
          • 1 year ago

What did I tell you? My boy delivers when it counts!

Thread-ripping to the max! This is an opportunity of a lifetime. Also, I am expecting for my boy to be fairly compensated for his work. The guy is a trooper.

Rick MoarCoars
          AMD PR Honcho

• 1 year ago

If they wanted all-caps shortbread they can get SSK to do it.

• chuckula
            • 1 year ago

Yes, but who wants to read about Windows Phone articles.

• 1 year ago

I’d like to see him try to find some. 😆

• drfish
            • 1 year ago

Funny enough, I’d post them just as readily as him. Lumia Icon for life!

• LoneWolf15
    • 1 year ago

Colton…speaking of mac-and-cheese hot dogs, you really have to stop by my neck of the woods when you’re in town.

[url<]https://www.themad.dog[/url<] Trust me, you need this.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Noted. I take any excuse I can get to visit the GR Popcorn Company, I’ll make two stops next time. Thanks!

• moose17145
    • 1 year ago

Also on my third kindle.

First one was a Kindle 4.
    Second was a Kindle Paperwhite 2 (ended up getting tossed when I broke the screen)
    And now the current generation Paperwhite.

As much as I love actual paper books… the ability to take a library with me in my pocket is more useful.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Kindle Keyboard -> [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=83739&p=1140866#p1137432<]1st gen Paperwhite[/url<] -> 6" Oasis (like new, 3G, w/ cover, no special offers, $120 direct from Amazon - still giddy about it). The Oasis is perfect, I can't imagine a better form factor for a reading machine.

• moose17145
        • 1 year ago

Dang… was Amazon running a crazy promo on the Oasis recently or something? Or was it a refurb that allowed you to get it for that price on top of a crazy promo?

I also have looked dang hard at the Oasis, but I don’t think it is for me largely BECAUSE of the size.

I am in the National Guard and my kindle goes with me (this is actually what wrecked my second kindle), so that is why the smaller form factor is nice. The smaller form factor can fit in back pockets or cargo pockets, or just generally tuck away in a smaller area in a pack.

But man that Oasis looks dang nice for an “At home only” kindle… I have definitely looked at it and thought about getting one more than one.

• drfish
          • 1 year ago

I think I just got really lucky. I’ve never cared for the 7″ – doesn’t strike me as an upgrade, so I check for used/refurb 6″ models occasionally and it popped up a few weeks ago.

It was used, not refurb, but also an Amazon Warehouse deal/solid return policy. The listing was for a “good condition” wi-fi only w/ special offers – but that’s clearly not what I got. There were minor scuffs on the leather cover but otherwise it’s flawless. So pleased.

Right now Amazon wants $290 for their in-stock 6″ Oasis, heh.

• moose17145
            • 1 year ago

Yea I would say you got lucky!

Have you tried using the 3G at all? I heard it is only free for downloading the books themselves, but if you download ANYTHING else, they charge you like 30 cents a kilobyte or something rediculous like that.

• drfish
            • 1 year ago

Actually haven’t tested it yet, so much Wi-Fi…

• Mr Bill
    • 1 year ago

Nothing beats a real book for readability, lendability, and first sale doctrine.

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

I read Fight Club on my tablet, because I wanted to try out the whole ebook thing. A good read, but I never really went back. Every year or so I take all the books I’ve read and donate them to a local used book store.

• CScottG
      • 1 year ago

I don’t like the very idea of NOT *purchasing* a tangible book – just seems wrong to me (and I like just *looking* at books I’ve read on actual book shelves, often a pleasant reminder of the book’s content).

Of course it’s understandable in the context of distance/portability (travel) with an e-ink reader (..but it still feels wrong). However, I would have loved this for most text-books in school.

-what pisses me off is this new up-pricing/sizing of paper-back books, with forever delays on standard paper-back releases. (..the SciFi/Fantasy genres I read have taken a serious hit in quality as well with new releases, and the proof-reading is generally getting worse.)

• uni-mitation
      • 1 year ago

Totally agree. Plus, you need to be able to show off when you bring the ladies into your pad to seal the deal.

“Yes, that’s the Kama Sutra, do you want to try [b<]it[/b<] out?" uni-mitation

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

I’ll give you #3 and most of #2 but disagree with #1 pretty strongly. To me, ebooks are just the logical extension of Steam, Netflix, Spotify, etc. It’s just a heck of a lot friendlier to me for books to be digital too.

• uni-mitation
        • 1 year ago

Yeah, I think I have no problems meanwhile people understand the limitations of eBooks. For the most part, when you buy something digital you are almost buying a glorified perpetual rental/license/non-assignable to the work for specific uses.

If access to that digital work relies on a third party then you are at the whims of that party, or possibly in risk of losing access if that service goes defunct. Whereas with a physical book/physical DVD/game disc you get so much more since you are the actual owner of that copy. It doesn’t depend on whether a particular business will stay in business. So I am always leery of buying something digitally that depends on some third party’s service to have access to it. Caveat emptor.

uni-mitation

• atari030
        • 1 year ago

There is something inherently more appealing (and natural) to the eye about reading a printed letter on a page than on any electronic display, no matter how good that display is. Perhaps that’s just my opinion, but I know a good number of people share it.

I would be curious from a scientific analysis perspective how the brain (occipital lobe and comprehension centers) processes one type of media vs. the other. It could be some people find little difference in processing the two types of input. I know there’s at least some difference for me, and I don’t think it’s merely because I’m getting old or crotchety 🙂

• drfish
          • 1 year ago

It is annoying that there is still some glare on the “screen” of my Kindle, no matter what Amazon says. However, it’s not as bad as, say, a page of a magazine. Maybe I’m blind to it because I’ve been reading exclusively on E Ink for almost 8 years, but printed pages just don’t seem to have any advantages to me, so long as you have access to a power source every couple weeks.

• atari030
            • 1 year ago

To each their own, I’ve got no arguments with that 🙂 If you find no difference in your reading enjoyment one vs. the other, that’s fantastic.

• 1 year ago

I just don’t want to take up my house with all the books on my Kindle. I like having them available to me without having to give up the storage space. It’s why we’ve started buying movies (edit: and music) on Amazon.

Could all of this disappear in the blink of an eye? Sure. But I’ll take my chances, I guess.

• anotherengineer
        • 1 year ago

I would be nice if all of the kindles had 8GB with a 32GB option or more vs the 4GB.

• Mr Bill
        • 1 year ago

I appreciate the ease of searching for a phrase in an e-book, and all the bookmarks you can make and how you can always find where you left off. But I like the way you can fan a book looking for phrases or information when you are not even sure of the words till you see them. Its pretty easy to find where you left off even if the book got closed because you just fan the book till you find words you remember reading and there you go.

• Zizy
        • 1 year ago

Well, playing a game bought through the Steam or on DVD is exactly the same. Watching a downloaded BR or bought BR is again exactly the same experience and ignoring worse (more) compression, Netflix is the same again. Same for Spotify. There is no way you would be able to distinguish one source to the other when looking at a black box.
        But reading a physical book is NOT the same as reading on tablet or e-ink device. The thingy looks different, turns pages differently and so forth. Everything else equal, printed looks better to me and nicer to read. So, #1 holds as well.

But … this difference is not large enough for me to prefer buying more expensive “actual” books when digital versions are so much cheaper and even have some advantages. Tons of books on a light device (much lighter than say a single GOT book) and search is great for encyclopedia such as Silmarillion. Adding these #4, #5 and #6 to the tally, and I prefer Kindle.

• Liron
      • 1 year ago

For readability? Have you tried increasing the font size on a real book?

Lending a book is the worst idea ever!

Yes, first sale doctrine, yes. Can’t argue with that.

• Wirko

Lendability means borrowability!

• Srsly_Bro
          • 1 year ago

Judge Judy, one of my fav people, would always go on rants when people would interchange either word. She would say banks lend, you borrow.

• Wirko
            • 1 year ago

I’d gladly borrow to the bank, and the bank would lend from me, it’s just that the deposit interest rates are too close to zero.

• Jigar
      • 1 year ago

Nothing beats a dead tree as well.

• chuckula

EXCEPT AN AX!

• Ninjitsu
        • 1 year ago

That is probably the biggest advantage by a margin, but of course the materials for the e-reader need to be mined, processed and produced as well, so there’s still some impact.

• Ninjitsu
      • 1 year ago

Yeah, if we lived in a perfect world with an infinite supply of paper with minimal environmental impact, i’d take a real book any day.

Oh, they also don’t need to be charged, and are more ergonomic, and cheaper (at least in my country).

• 1 year ago

Whoa there Billy, hold up a second! Backlit e-ink is sharper and easier to read than a paper book any day of the week. It’s usually lighter in your hand too (unless you enjoy reading very short paperbacks). I read ePDF books on my Gen.1 Paperwhite all the time, because it’s easier on the eyes and more comfortable to hold. Hell, I downloaded eBooks of physical versions I was gifted.

If your eReader is inferior to paper you need to get a decent one, that is all.

Lendable, and first sale doctrine? Sure. Real book wins every time there. I break the law and strip out all the DRM from my ebooks, keeping only the PDF file.

• barich
      • 1 year ago

I usually buy and read hardcovers. In the event that I’m traveling or something, I feel no qualms about downloading copies of books that I already own on paper to put on my Kindle Paperwhite to make them more portable. I wish paper books would work like most Blu-rays do these days and just include a digital copy.

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

Also, nothing imparts a sense of intimidation and raw power quite like a properly appointed office full of old books. Good lawyers don’t do it because they read that stuff (there are specialized search engines for legal research), they do it because they want you to walk out of there thinking that they’re gonna devour the souls of whichever side doesn’t pay them lots of money.