Logitech’s MX Vertical mouse wants to shake hands

Vertical mice keep the hand and forearm in a more neutral position than the average mouse today, and that neutral position is reputed to be easier on the hands, wrists, and arms. Logitech is hopping on board the vertical-mouse train with the MX Vertical. This productivity mouse tilts the gripping surface at a 57-degree angle for a “handshake” position that Logitech says was developed with criteria from “leading ergonomists” in mind. That design purports to reduce muscle strain by 10% relative to the average rodent.

The top edge of the mouse offers a “cursor speed switch” that the majority of TR readers and gamers will know as a sniper button. The inside of its grip offers back and forward buttons, while the main button cluster includes the usual left and right clickers plus a scroll wheel and middle mouse button. Logitech's Options software can be used to configure the behavior of those various buttons.

Like other MX mice, the Vertical can pair with up to three separate devices and switch among them with a hardware button, or users can also install Logitech's Synergy-like Flow software for seamless control of separate systems on the same desk. The MX Vertical can connect using a USB Type-C cable, Logitech's own Unifying receivers, or with Bluetooth.

Folks who want to turn the mousing experience on its ear can pick up an MX Vertical for $100 starting in September. Especially eager buyers can pre-order the mouse from Logitech's website starting August 20. Thanks to TR tipster SH SOTN for the heads-up.

• WhiteDesertSun
    • 1 year ago

Does it have Logitech’s “Hyper Fast Scrolling” clickless scroll wheel?
    If pre-order is today, wonder when it’s actually coming out?

• JosiahBradley
    • 1 year ago

This looks interesting enough I may finally bite.

• pirate_panda
    • 1 year ago

I’ve been using Anker’s vertical mouse since sometime last year. $15 on Amazon for the wired version, and $20 for the 2.4 GHz wireless version. Somehow I doubt this version justifies being 5 times more expensive.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

I have the exact same mouse. Does the extra height make you punch it across your desk every time you swing your hand over to it from your keyboard? I’ve also stabbed myself with its shark fin pointy top. No way I’d want a $100 mouse to get that much abuse (says the guy that lets his 16-month old play with his MX Ergo).

• pirate_panda
        • 1 year ago

It has happened a few times, yes. But, to be fair, I have knocked several regular mice off my desk doing the same thing. That’s why I’ve not yet spent more than $30 on a mouse.

• Aether
      • 1 year ago

I’ve been happily using an Evoluent vertical mouse for more than 5 years now, but it’s good to know that there is a much cheaper option from Anker if it ever breaks. (IIRC, the Evoluent was ~$80.)

• tay
    • 1 year ago

For me, I find wireless mice cause a lot more strain than wired because of the extra weight. Would be interested in a version without a battery

• Canuckistani
      • 1 year ago

I agree, a wired version would be wonderful. I use an Anker vertical mouse at the moment and the ergonomics are great (fixed my shoulder strain at my not very comfortable office desk), but I’m on my second one after the scroll wheel got wonky on the first one. Cleaning didn’t help.

The weight on the Anker mouse is 4.5 oz and this Logitech is apparently 4.75 oz, so maybe the battery doesn’t add too much. I may check it out when it’s available. It certainly looks good to my eye.

• Oem
        • 1 year ago

It says USB C cable connection is an option. I wonder if the mouse would power on when plugged in after removing the battery… anyone willing to do the $100 experiment?