Tuesday deals: a Radeon RX 580 8 GB for $210 and more

Greetings, folks! All the buzz of the moment is about the GeForce RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti graphics cards, and as well it should be. Those cards promise to meld rasterization and ray tracing in an efficient way, something that may turn out to be a permanent improvement in computer graphics. We'll reserve final judgment until we've had a close look at them, of course. Meanwhile, here's today's selection of deals. Enjoy!

• We figure that with the release of Nvidia's RTX cards, it's likely we'll see a sharp drop in the price of other pixel-pushers. The first signs of that downward trend have popped up, as evidenced by the MSI Radeon RX 580 8 GB Armor. This card is about as basic as they come, but that's just fine by us. You still get a double-fan cooler with generously sized spinners and a 1366 MHz boost clock. The card is currently going for only $229.99 at Amazon, and there's a rebate form available that can get you another $20 back.

• The theme today is apparently sensibly priced hardware. The Teamgroup T-Force Delta RGB 16-GB kit of 3000 MT/s DIMMs is speedy, has blinkenlights, and will set you back just $154.99 at Newegg. You still remember when a kit like this was going for close to $200, right?

• Everybody's hankering for some sweet, speedy NVMe action these days, and the HP EX920 512-GB solid-state drive is only happy to deliver. This SSD can push up to 3200 MB/s in sequential reads and 1800 MB/s in writes. Its endurance rating is a healthy 400 terabytes written, too. Pick one up from Newegg for just $134.99.

• Next up, mechanical keyboards. You'll find models today with everything plus two kitchen sinks, but what about a simple, honest, quality clicker? That's what the Gigabyte K-Force 83 is. This keyboard is a full-sized affair with raised key caps, no lighting, and Cherry MX switches underneath. There's N-key rollover, a Windows key locking function, and the price tag is just $38.89 for a version with Cherry MX Red linear switches, or $39.99 for one with clicky MX Blue switches.

•  A good share of folks enjoy gaming on the go, but a proper gaming laptop has to be an expensive affair… or does it?? The Acer Aspire 7 (A717-72G-700J) laptop is 17.3″ across and packs a Core i7-8750H processor, a full 16 GB of RAM, GeForce GTX 1060 6-GB graphics, and a 256-GB SSD. The display is an IPS unit with a resolution of 1920×1080. That's a heck of a lot of hardware, but right now you can pick this machine up from Newegg for just $999.99 with the promo code EMCPXRE22.

• Finally, a sweet box for your home theater or gaming setup. The Pioneer VSX-932 is a powerful 7.2-channel receiver that can push 80 W per channel (or a 165-W peak), has five HDMI inputs, integrated Wi-Fi and Ethernet connectivity, and lists all the current home theater buzzwords: Atmos, DTS:X, Dolby Vision, and all their fun buddies. This receiver is fully-featured, punchy, and only costs $229.99 at Newegg. Get it while it's hot—that's one heck of a low price.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• timesupuk0ed
    • 1 year ago

Good deal on the RX 580, however, DO NOT PURCHASE IT! MSIs Armor cooler is completely inadequate. I recently just got rid of the 4gb version of this card and in a small case (Core 1000), it was terrible with absolutely no headroom. I had to undervolt and underclock the gpu just so its fans didn’t spin at max speed (3000rpm). I assumed this was because of the case not having good airflow at all (this did play a role), however, I got the xfx black edition 580 8gb and in the same case things run so much quieter and cooler. I would personally never buy the Armor series again, the fans are inadequate (very annoying at above 2000rpm), however, the main cause for the poor temps and noise is that the heatsink is simply too small. It would be great on a RX 560ish level card. Spend the extra money and essentially get anything but the Armor.

• Wildchild
      • 1 year ago

Did you replace the thermal paste? Usually the first thing I do whenever I get a new card.

• timesupuk0ed
        • 1 year ago

Yeah. That was the first thing that I did. These results were from after the TIM had been replaced with MX-4.

• OptimumSlinky
      • 1 year ago

I have the MSI Armor MK.2 RX570 8GB, and I’ve never once had an issue. GPU temps never go above 65C, and the only time I heard the fan was when I was playing Dead Cells funny enough because the GPU was crunching out 500+ FPS with V-Sync off. That said, I am in a bigger Corsair 500R case.

I get that the RX580 draws more power and generates more heat, but I think the bigger issue was your small case.

• timesupuk0ed
        • 1 year ago

There is a reason that MSI made a version 2 of the Armor cards. The white (version 1) is really poor at cooling a card like a 580 without having to spin up its fans on max.

I already admitted that the small case did cause issues, however, as I pointed out, I put the xfx card in the same case and it was as a night and day difference.

• 1 year ago

Really want something with 7 HDMI inputs (console gaming truly is a sickness in this case…PS3, PS4 Pro, NES Classic, SNES Classic, my Skylake PC, and the DVR currently fill every available hole I have…four on the receiver and two spares on the TV), but dang that receiver looks mighty fine for the price. HDMI 2.2 pass-through, too.

I don’t see five HDMI outputs (I see 4 + the return/ARC), but for the price it’s pretty great. I paid that for my Sony 5.2 receiver that only does 4K 30Hz, DTS, and Dolby Digital.

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

That’s a great price on the receiver. Hmm. I’d hate to downgrade from the true Custom Integrated one that I have, but the tech has improved alot in the last 4 years.

• 1 year ago

Hooray, the RX580 is available at MSRP if you look hard. And we think that’s a good deal (which is not a reflection on Bruno or this post, it’s just the reality of the situation). What a time to be alive.

• Alexko
      • 1 year ago

Yeah. I don’t think the card itself should cost more than $150. At least I wouldn’t pay any more than that.

• rudimentary_lathe
    • 1 year ago

Solid deal on the RX 580. I have the RX 480 and it’s still a very capable card for 1080p 60+ FPS gaming. It can even handle some recent games at 1440p fairly well. It’s best paired with a Freesync monitor though since FPS will dip below 60 at times in some AAA titles.

• SHOES
      • 1 year ago

Yea, I wouldnt recommend it even at this price. 1060 offers marginally better performance in most titles and can be found for around the same price. I’m not fond of my RX580s.(I have two in different machines.)

• dragontamer5788
        • 1 year ago

Blender’s Cycles seems to perform slightly better on AMD’s hardware though, and Freesync is also a benefit.

The raytracing thing in the 20xx series is actually giving me pause. If Blender Cycles can be accelerated by a 20xx series card, I might get it (if their prices come down slightly). Raytracing is super-slow right now and any improvement to raytracing speed would be magnificent.

Otherwise, Vega 56 seems to be the best price/performance. The 1080 is slower than the Vega 64, and the 1080 TI is the fastest of course. But Vega64 is still cheaper than the 1080 TI when I’ve been looking around.

————–

The RX 580 might be the best price/performance for a home rendering farm setup. If you’re doing an animation, then 5x instances of Blender over your CPU + 4x Rx580s would render those animations mighty fine.

• chµck
        • 1 year ago

is the 3gb 1060 enough for 1440p gaming?

• synthtel2
          • 1 year ago

3 GB of VRAM is fine, but the 1060 3G isn’t as fast as the 580 or 1060 6G.

• SHOES
          • 1 year ago

1440p I would go for the 6gb. I have the 6g in my laptop and my sons pc, both perform admirably in a number of demanding titles. The 1060’s tend to run quieter and use less power.

• chµck

but the 6gb 1060 is like $70-$100 more

• Fursdon
        • 1 year ago

Guru’s latest 580 review shows the 580 trading with the 1060 in older games, and ahead in DX12/Vulkan :

[url<]https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_radeon_rx_570_and_580_mech_2_8g_oc_review,1.html[/url<]