Corsair could dive into custom loops with Hydro X products

Corsair's brand has become synonymous with closed-loop liquid coolers of all shapes and sizes, but the company could be getting ready to embrace builders of custom loops, too. On its Twitter account yesterday, the company teased the existence of a Hydro X series of products, marked by what appear to be two liquid-cooling hard lines filled with coolant.

The Hydro X series could be the product of liquid-cooling industry expertise coming under Corsair's roof. In December, TechPowerUp reported that now-former EK Waterblocks CEO Mark Tanko and CTO Niko Tivadar had joined Corsair in high-level roles. While the site didn't obtain any information on what Tanko and Tivadar would be doing at the company, it seems only natural that they'd be working on some kind of custom liquid cooling product under Corsair's flag.

Corsair says the Hydro X series is coming soon, so we might not have to wait long to find out just what the story is.

• dragontamer5788
    • 1 year ago

I’ve heard of enough AIO failures. If the failure rate of cheapish AIO products is as high as it seems (and not necessarily leaks, but also pump failures, etc. etc.), then I figure I might as well build my own.

AIO are subject to the same mechanical and physical limitations as custom cooling. In fact, AIO is also cost-limited, so you get incredibly bad, tiny pumps with high failure rates most of the time.

The hardest part of the custom market is that a lot of components can fit in somewhat standardized parts. You can buy your Waterblocks from Bykski or XSPC, buy a pump from EKWB, and buy your radiator from Alphacool. Different Waterblocks have different designs which work better. Most pumps are standardized to the DCC design, and pipes are all just pipes.

Anyway, if Corsair is making its own series of watercooling equipment, it has a LOT of competition. In effect, every piece of the custom loop is under competition with literally everyone else.

• sleeprae
      • 1 year ago

That matches my experience. Between DOA pumps and inevitable coolant loss (NOT due to leaks), I’m done with AIO CLCs.

I’d be surprised if the market for custom loops was large enough to support another player.

• moose17145
    • 1 year ago

I have always WANTED to water cool my computer… but the cost of entry to do it correctly has always lead me to just choose a higher end air cooler instead. And there is also the issue that liquid is much more annoying on the maintenance front vs. a big Zalman or Noctua air cooler where you can just blow the dust off the fins and call it good.

• RtFusion
      • 1 year ago

Same here. I have always wanted to do one as well but the costs, maintenance, and risk wasn’t worth it in the end. Ended up with the large Noctua air coolers for both machines at home. No problems so far.

• ikjadoon
      • 1 year ago

For dust, case dust filters should be preventing any build-up on the CPU cooler. After 4 years, my Noctua NH-U14S still looked pristine and my case filters had a small layer of dust.

But, on failures, I agree. Unless you’re willing to deal with ugly short-term warranties, it’s like putting nitrous in your daily driver car. It’s faster…with the risk you’ll happily throw away thousands of dollars of nearby equipment should anything go wrong.

• moose17145
        • 1 year ago

Current rig sits in a Corsair 900D. It’s dust filters help immensely, no doubt about that, but they are not perfect. As such I still try to blow the system out once every 6 months or so, whether it needs it or not. Afterall, clean components, are happy components.

I was more getting at needing to disessemble the loop and clean the tubes out, and clean out the waterblocks every now and then. In high school and college a few friends had water loops in their systems, and all of them either had some weird quarky problem, or had issues with biology, or issues with the colored gycol gumming up parts of the loop, etc. Linus tech tips even did a video recently(ish) where he showed proper water loop maintenance.

Watching all of that, I decided to just stick with air. Besides, a GOOD air cooler will get you fairly close to water loop performance (as long as you are not crazy overclocking).

I will say though… funniest thing I ever saw water cooled was my friends old Prescott Celeron. Seeing that poor little 1.8GHz (stock) chip overclocked to 5GHz was good lulz

• Goty
      • 1 year ago

Maintenance has never been an issue in my loops, actually. I top off my reservoir maybe twice a year and that’s about it. If you run distilled water only and don’t use dissimilar metals in your loops, that’s all you’ll ever have to worry about.

• Waco
        • 1 year ago

I can’t even remember the last time I filled my loop…and I live in the desert at high altitude. It was last year sometime at the earliest, and I only have a hundred mL of room or so for it to drop before it starts circulating bubbles.

Properly sealing everything works wonders! I second distilled water, silver coil, and no mixed metals in the loop. I know I’m going to jinx myself on this, but none of my parts are younger than 5 years, and my pump is going on 13…