Ride Like the Wind Day Shortbread

This is the first thing you thought of too, right?

PC hardware and computing

1. Logitech G Pro Wireless and G Pro Gaming mice review @ PC Perspective
  2. ADATA XPG SX950U 240GB SSD review @ Guru3D
  3. Aorus X399 Xtreme review @ Hexus
  4. HyperX Gaming microSD card review @ Legit Reviews
  5. Philips 436M6VBPAB review @ TFT Central
  6. The Corsair RM850x (2018) PSU review @ AnandTech
  7. Huawei MateBook D review @ HotHardware

Games, culture, and VR

1. Valve's “Steam Play” uses Vulkan to bring more Windows games to Linux @ Ars Technica
  2. Mark your calendar for A Hat in Time's one-day-only free DLC @ Quarter To Three
  3. Rocket League is changing with its new 'progression' update next week @ Nintendo Life

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Build your own two-stage water rockets @ HackADay
  2. ​​​​​​​As value of cryptocurrencies falls, a lot of new and risk-taking investors are suffering immensely @ Slashdot

Science, technology, and space news

1. All systems go for Mars as InSight passes halfway mark @ New Atlas
  2. New research suggests evolution might favor 'survival of the laziest' @ Slashdot

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. Patriot Viper RGB DDR4 3200 MHz review @ TechPowerUp
  2. MSI GE63 Raider RGB 8RE (i7-8750H; GTX 1060) laptop review @ KitGuru
  3. ​​​​​​​Looking for your dream job? You could be the Assistant Director of Cheese at this company @ time.com
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• gc9
    • 1 year ago

In the Huawei Ryzen notebook, what metal is “Mystic Silver unibody metal” ?

• Shobai
      • 1 year ago

It’s Mystic Silver – it’s right there in the name.

• Phartindust

LOL It’s aluminum.

• Aquilino
    • 1 year ago

[i<]Looking for your dream job? You could be the Assistant Director of Cheese at this company[/i<] You clearly meant "Assistant to the Director".

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

My son and I have been playing darts the last few weeks. It’s been great fun!

• freebird
      • 1 year ago

A great skill that will serve him well at college while drink beer in a Fraternity…

as it did me.
      ;D

• RickyTick
    • 1 year ago

Ride like the wind Bullseye!
    [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO41Z5YcHo[/url<]

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Finally, someone who gets me.

• toki
      • 1 year ago

lol, I was thinking the same thing, but more along these lines [url<]https://youtu.be/HNOn6enPC7U[/url<]

• GTVic

Christopher Cross

It is the night
    My body’s weak
    I’m on the run
    No time to sleep
    I’ve got to ride
    Ride like the wind
    To be free again

• Captain Ned
    • 1 year ago

The wind just broke his leg:

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2TrW8jR8EM[/url<]

• moose17145
    • 1 year ago

Good thing I rode the motorcycle in to work today then!

• thedosbox
      • 1 year ago

I was hoping to see a picture of a cat riding a motorcycle.

• blastdoor
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]New research suggests evolution might favor 'survival of the laziest' @ Slashdot[/quote<] 1. The researchers are from the University of Kansas. Since when is there any evolution in Kansas? 2. What the research appears to actually show is that a lower metabolic rate is associated with survival, which is really just a statement that energy efficiency is associated with survival. Describing that as "laziness" strikes me as highly misleading clickbait. Rock chalk Jayhawk, baby!

• DancinJack

Hi,

Kansan here, with a degree in Physics from The University of Kansas. No need to be an asshole before providing your “analysis.”

Thanks,
      DJ

• Captain Ned
        • 1 year ago

Well, Kansas does seem to be Ground Zero for the evolution vs. “intelligent design” school curriculum debate.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 1 year ago

He referred to evolution, not physics. They only partially accept science so long it doesn’t disagree with the ultimate book.

• DancinJack
          • 1 year ago

My Biology 150 class at KU (required) didn’t teach creationism.

I’m just trying to point out it’s probably not a great idea to overgeneralize without, y’know, actually knowing anyone or having been there?

• blastdoor
            • 1 year ago

I suggest you don’t overgeneralize about who I know or where I’ve been.

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

You wouldn’t have said what you did if you weren’t overgeneralizing about Kansans. Pretty simple. I’m not overgeneralizing about you.

• NovusBogus
            • 1 year ago

I like to overgeneralize Kansas as consisting entirely of Jesus freaks, tornadoes, and Cold War missile silos. I’m ambivalent about Jesus freaks and really into Cold War missile silos, which are immune to tornadoes, so I might move there someday.

• Captain Ned
            • 1 year ago

Hey, I was born in Kansas (McConnell AFB, Wichita) because my Dad was sitting in one of those Titan II silos waiting to turn the keys.

• Shobai
            • 1 year ago

And therefore…. You’re a Tornado – resistant Jesus freak?

• NovusBogus
            • 1 year ago

Nice! I’ve seen some of those Titan silos come up for auction in the last few years. Also a lot of Nike sites but those tend to be on the east coast.

• freebird
            • 1 year ago

I remember stories of people being able to buy those old “Minute Man” silos in the Western US for around $50K and some built homes out of them…

[url<]https://weburbanist.com/2010/07/25/nuclear-family-housing-life-in-a-missile-silo-home/[/url<] and there is an AirBnB in Kansas 😀 [url<]https://www.denverpost.com/2017/11/24/nuclear-missile-silo-airbnb/[/url<]

• murgatroyd
            • 1 year ago

One of the first of these I heard of was [url=http://www.subterracastle.com/<]Subterra[/url<], owned by my eighth-grade history teacher, Ed Peden. It was quite a surprise to see him giving a tour of it on one of those "unsual houses" shows on cable 20+ years ago!

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

I’m also a Kansan with undergrad degrees from KU.

Man up. The truth is what it is. If you can’t handle it, then you should move to…. oh wait.

• DancinJack
          • 1 year ago

Hey that’s great! (seriously)

I find it really strange you’d say something like that having been a student at KU though. Tons of Kansans in Douglass county (and Johnson and Sedgwick and plenty of other counties) that don’t believe that stuff.

Not a huge deal, man, I just don’t think it was necessary. Entitled to your opinion though, just like me.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

Not sure why you got down voted for what you said.

Evolution does not exist in the Bible belt and lower metabolic rate isn’t laziness.

• oldog
        • 1 year ago

Ok Smartypants. Explain this…

[url<]https://phys.org/news/2018-05-gene-survey-reveals-facets-evolution.html[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
          • 1 year ago

That debunks his physics degree. Nice find, olddog.

• DancinJack
        • 1 year ago

Bro, we’re usually on the same page, but you’re just flat out wrong about this. I don’t want this to devolve in R/P, but I was literally never taught creationism in school (though I went to public school). Not once. K-12 + College in Kansas and never was I taught that in class.

• 1 year ago

your facts are inconvenient for his jokes.

• Srsly_Bro

Srsly,bro.

I was pretty srs about what I said. I grew up in the Midwest. I at least have some perspective.

I doubt Pulic Universities can teach creationism and still retain accredited programs. I’m talking about the common people are their positions.

This isn’t R/P. I don’t care to get into that here.

• blastdoor
          • 1 year ago

Neither was I, but that was a long time ago.

And you’re ignoring the fact that Kansas is ground zero for the efforts to try and get creationism into classrooms. The fact that they haven’t succeeded yet doesn’t change that fact.

In seriousness, KU is one of the last bastions of rationality in my home state, perhaps along with Johnson County. But those holdouts are under constant siege. It’s really sad that a state founded by some enlightened liberals from Massachusetts has been so badly manipulated by a small group of very bad people.

• TheMonkeyKing

OK, I laughed.
      Signed, Harper Lee

• blastdoor
    • 1 year ago

[quote<]​​​​​​​As value of cryptocurrencies falls, a lot of new and risk-taking investors are suffering immensely @ Slashdot[/quote<] I can't quite muster sympathy, I must say.

• smilingcrow
      • 1 year ago

A fool and their money ….
      I had a quick scan of the article and one of them had borrowed money to bet on crapto currencies.
      Terribly naive.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 1 year ago

It was smart at the right time. There was a small window and had I taken a loan, I’d be on my yacht with the gains from the coin I held.

• oldog
          • 1 year ago

Had I just bought Apple when Scully left and Jobs came back. Doh!

• blastdoor
            • 1 year ago

Had I just invented a time machine…

• smilingcrow
          • 1 year ago

It was always gambling and it’s easy to look back and say well if I’d bought low and sold high it was smart.
          But overall this is a highly risky area so borrowing money to stake a wager is generally foolhardy.

• Srsly_Bro
            • 1 year ago

I mean I made a decent amount on a coin that I kept but you’re right.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

It’s similar to a Ponzi scheme where all these people wanted to get rich the secret way. When they lost their money they are somehow surprised. I don’t feel sorry for any of them. Had they made their money they would have a different tone.

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

Yup. The only difference between this and the tulip bubble is that at least tulips have *some* intrinsic value

• DPete27

Slashdot = clickbait.

It’s people that aren’t familiar with trading strategies that lose.

I’ll admit I am one of the “new and risk-taking investors”, although I DEFINITELY didn’t bet the farm. I was fully aware of my inexperience and invested accordingly. Crypto was my first foray into self-directed investing. It was a fun and exciting space with loads of opportunity and a fast-paced market where I could experience years worth of [stock] market trends unfold in just a few months. It allowed me the opportunity to learn trading at an accelerated rate, and I learned a lot of great lessons along the way. I’m glad I did it (am doing it).

• blastdoor
        • 1 year ago

Something you need to understand….

Your IQ could be at the 99th percentile and you could have a Ph.D. in quantitative field. But if you are trying to make money through trading *on your own*, that’s not good enough — you will most likely fail.

Now, if your IQ is at the 99.9th percentile and you have a Ph.D. in a quantitative field AND you get a job at a hedge fund where you can combine your skills with those of 100 other people just as smart as you AND you have access to massive computing resources, THEN you might (might) have a chance. I know a guy like that. He works very hard and manages to makes 7 figures a year.

Because I know this guy, how smart he is, how hard he works, and because he has told me about the strategies they use to exploit naively overconfident traders, I stay FAR away from anything resembling day trading.

Good luck.

• dragontamer5788
          • 1 year ago

But those guys weren’t in the BTC market until recently.

You probably could have beaten the typical BTC trader on stupid-simple strategies involving candlesticks and barriers alone, at least until this year.

The BTC market was flooded with a ton of inexperienced investors. Lots of easy money to be made. I was surprised how easily I could predict the BTC market over the last year due to the flood of stupid money.

The only problem is:

1. I dunno when stupid money would leave (so eventually I’d make a bad bet)
          2. I don’t like the idea of profiting from other people’s pain.

A good, and functioning, stock market is about resource allocation. You give your money to companies (ie: Tesla) through IPOs or secondary offerings. (For example, Tesla raised $500 Million for its Gigafactory [url=http://ir.teslamotors.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-announces-500-million-common-stock-offering?ReleaseID=927533<]through this secondary offering[/url<]) Those companies build new factories, and then they eventually return the money to you (with profits, aka dividends). Either that, or through stock buybacks (which forcibly increase the price and provide you a way to cash out at a profit). BTC has none of that. Its pure speculation. The arguments for figuring out the proper price doesn't help anybody. No new infrastructure is ever built, no capital is raised. Nothing. Its purely about scumming money out of people and [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_fool_theory<]finding the greater fools[/url<]. ----------- That's the worst part of it all. BTC development will continue if it were at $500 or if it were at $50,000. The price is utterly and completely meaningless with respect to the development of blockchain technology. So if you are a true believer in blockchain technologies, there's nothing for you to gain if the market goes up, there's nothing to lose if the market goes down. Only the [b<]speculator[/b<] inside of you cares, the greedy devil who wishes to profit. But that's not helpful to society at all.

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

Live by the coin, die by the coin. I’m all for it. Too bad most of the ‘normal’ high-finance gambling rackets don’t work the same way, or the world would be a much better place.

• freebird
      • 1 year ago

…Kim Hyon-jeong, a 45-year-old [b<]teacher[/b<] and mother of one who lives on the outskirts of Seoul, said she put about 100 million won, or $90,000, into cryptocurrencies last fall. She drew on savings, an insurance policy and a $25,000 loan. Her investments are now down about 90 percent. "I thought that cryptocurrencies would be the one and only breakthrough for ordinary hardworking people like us," she said. "I thought my family and I could escape hardship and live more comfortably, but it turned out to be the other way around." Apparently, she didn't teach financial planning... What's the old adage? A fool and their money are soon parted... That being said, I used crypto to mine and pay for several Vegas and GTX1070s, so who am I to complain?

• 1 year ago

I stopped mining after 0.8 bitcoins back in 2014 because the value of what I was mining only just covered the electricity costs.

If I’d carried on mining for zero profit/loss I could have cashed out with half a million bucks by selling at the December 2017 peak.

Instead I netted around $1000 and given that I’d put almost no effort into it in the first place I was happy with that. I’m not going to kick myself for not being a clairvoyant.

• dragontamer5788
        • 1 year ago

Similar story to mine really. Except I bought BTC instead of mined back in 2014 or so. Bought 1 BTC to play with: electronic payments, etc. etc. Seemed fun.

Sold at roughly September 2017 when the bull market was beginning to look crazy. I just didn’t want to deal with it all. Between SegwitX2, BCH… lots of developments and lots of greed beginning to enter the picture. BTC is no longer about technology or changing the future, its greedy people trying to scam other greedy people of their money.

I don’t know exactly when it happened, but BTC is no longer advertised as a “transaction scheme”, but instead as a “store of value”. That’s when I decided to quit: the community didn’t match my philosophy anymore.

So I sold in Sepetember or August, can’t remember exactly. But it wasn’t much, just $2000/coin. If I waited just a few more months, it’d be $18,000+ instead. But its hard to complain about a profit, and honestly, dealing with so much greed is a bit annoying. It became impossible to talk about technicals in the community.

• Firestarter

you might still have some BCH if you sold after the 1st of August

• PrincipalSkinner
      • 1 year ago

Same here. Those are the greedy people that fed the bubble and we hoping the ponzi scheme would go on indefinitely.
      If you have a child, last thing you want to do is gamble away your savings.
      Just stupid and greedy people.

• CScottG

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8ftRFb2Ac[/url<]

• morphine

Damn, beat me to it.

• Shobai

And I.

• Shobai

• Shobai

[url=https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JWTaaS7LdU#<]I will always love you.[/url<]

• Captain Ned

No, no, no, it’s Break Like the Wind

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJLOSuz147I[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 year ago

I thought of a commercial where the wind got on a motorcycle, flicked his cigarette on the ground, and burnt rubber out of the parking lot. That’s who I want to ride like.