Thursday deals: an RX 580 8 GB, a Ryzen mobo, and games for $275 and more

Greetings, folks. I re-joined a band a while back and am furiously both learning and practicing my bass skills (I was doing guitar before). This left me wondering exactly how many musicians, bedroom or professional, there are among the TR crowd. I'm guessing that there are quite a few among the gerbils, but we don't often hear from you. So speak up, let us know what you play. Meanwhile, here are the deals we dug up today, singing and dancing all the way.

• The first item today is actually a bundle, and a rather meaty one at that. Should you acquire the ASRock Radeon RX 580 8-GB graphics card, the lady at the counter will also hand you a box for a Ryzen-ready ASRock AB350 Pro4 motherboard, plus AMD download codes for Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Strange Brigade, and Star Control: Origins. The whole caboodle will be yours for (gasp!) just $274.99, and there's a $20 rebate card on top of that.

• If you're going for a powerful Intel-driven rig, take a good look at the ASRock Z370 Extreme4 motherboard. This circuit slab has metal-reinforced PCI slots, onboard RGB LED lighting, Intel Gigabit Ethernet, and a Realtek ALC1220 codec with DTS Connect support. Additional niceties include a total of eight SATA ports, two regular M.2 sockets plus an E-key socket for a Wi-Fi card, USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-A and Type-C ports, and a massive VRM heatsink that will come in handy when overclocking your Coffee Lake processor. Take this board home for just $149.99, and take advantage of the available rebate card to shave another $20 off.

• Next up, some sweet RAM sticks for either build. The Teamgroup T-Force Vulcan 16-GB kit with 3000 MT/s DIMMs. These jugs of memory have discreet heatsinks, 16-18-18-38 timings, and will set you back a mere $137.99.

• You might want a monitor fit for the Radeon card above, and that's the AOC Q3279VWFD8. While this display's model name looks like something a cat might produce crossing a keyboard, the specs table has what we need. Buyers get a 32″ display with a 10-bit 2560×1440 IPS panel, a 75-Hz refresh rate, FreeSync support, and a three-year warranty. Newegg will hand you the big box for $269.99 with the promo code NEFPVE15 while stocks last.

• The effects of the recent announcement of Nvidia's RTX cards are here. The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 is one heck of a mighty card thanks to its sensor-ridden, three-fan iCX cooler, and a 1582-MHz boost clock (almost certainly higher in practice). You can configure the fans independently, too, and have each of them react to memory or GPU speeds. This card once commanded a lofty premium, but it's currently available at Newegg for $669.99. The e-tailer will also hand you a rebate card that can get you another $20 back.

• The final piece in today's puzzle is the Lenovo IdeaPad 330 (81D2005CUS), a Ryzen 2500U-powered laptop with 8 GB of RAM and a 256 GB SSD. The 15.6″ display has a resolution of 1920×1080 and will be powered by the APU's Vega integrated graphics. This is a fine workhorse of a machine, and it's just $499.99 at Newegg

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• bender
    • 1 year ago

In the spirit of not being too much of a lurker, I have played out in bands (only briefly as my primary income generator, and not very successfully at that) for the last 10 or 15 years. Music has always been my favorite reason for purely voluntary social interaction, so that’s a huge motivator for me besides just absolutely loving that zone that you get into when playing – there’s really nothing I’ve experienced that comes close to that (at least not that you share so intimately with other people).

• 1 year ago

[quote<] This left me wondering exactly how many musicians, bedroom or professional, there are among the TR crowd.[/quote<] Not sure I'd call myself a musician these days, but I was an instrumental music ed major back in the day. These days I rock my PRS SE Custom 22 semi-hollow more than anything. Love playing. Not nearly as good a guitar player as I was a clarinet player at my peak, though.

• not@home

“I like to play.”

• 1 year ago

“Three single coil pickups and whammy bar!”

When you say that looking at a Stratocaster, that’s like looking at a car and saying “Four tires and a windshield!”

• MOSFET
    • 1 year ago

I have 2 Les Pauls, a Marshall VS230, and a Korg Trinity.

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Niiiiice. Whatchu play with them?

• MOSFET
        • 1 year ago

I won’t even try to cover everything here but in some sort of almost order: Yes, Zep, Rush, Met, GNR, AIC, and it’s always fun to fail at playing Steely Dan and Chicago.

• morphine
          • 1 year ago

That’s cool. Cover band, I take it?

• dpaus
    • 1 year ago

Due to the use of the Oxford comma, I read that title as “Thursday deals: …games for $275″ and thought ‘well, that’s why I quit gaming’

But regarding that AOC monitor: if it’s a variant of their 28” U3277PWQY display, I recommend them for general office work. I splurged and bought myself 2 of them; one in landscape mode and one in portrait mode. Yes, I have two (2!) 4K displays on my desk (AND the HD display on my Dell laptop), and no, I don’t find them to be overkill. In fact, I will not willingly go back to anything less now.

• 1 year ago

For whatever reason, this comment is now the top non-shopping Google result for U3277PWQY.

edit: because Google thinks you mean U3277PWQ[i<][b<]U[/b<][/i<]

• dpaus
        • 1 year ago

Well, the label is very small, with incredibly tiny printing, and I was reading it upside down while looking into the glare of a 100W office lamp. So thanks for catching that! 🙂

• JustAnEngineer
          • 1 year ago

Use your smart phone as an electronic magnifying glass.

• JosiahBradley
    • 1 year ago

[url=https://jet.com/product/PNY-XLR8-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-DirectX-12-VCGGTX1080T11XGPB-OC-11GB-352-Bit-GDDR5X-PCI-Express-30-x16-SLI-Support-Video-Card/5f52f11228a140cb934fe43916f28e72?jcmp=pla:ggl:nj_roc_cwin_electronics_a1:electronics_computers_accessories_computer_components_a1:na:PLA_1062265332_53745584362_pla-306020132802_c:na:na:na:2PLA15&pid=kenshoo_int&c=1062265332&is_retargeting=true&clickid=cf72559f-bafb-4e54-b0c0-889d1256b4e3&kclid=cf72559f-bafb-4e54-b0c0-889d1256b4e3&gclid=CjwKCAjwtvnbBRA5EiwAcRvnphZBuRBwlUq0HVESEDwB01LguBpWUS46CKcBKnXTk7Bo4Wx4UVujnhoCruUQAvD_BwE<]550$ 1080 Ti (I own this model very good) O_O[/url<] Edit: I can't figure out how to make that jet link shorter.

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

[url<]https://jet.com/product/PNY-XLR8-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-DirectX-12-VCGGTX1080T11XGPB-OC-11GB-352-Bit-GDDR5X-PCI-Express-30-x16-SLI-Support-Video-Card/5f52f11228a140cb934fe43916f28e72[/url<]

• Neutronbeam

[url<]https://bit.ly/2o34Z5t[/url<]

• DPete27

Fancy pants

• morphine
          • 1 year ago

Noob. See what I did to OP’s post.

• JosiahBradley

Thank you!

• morphine

Watch me.
      (Edited your post).

• Redocbew
        • 1 year ago

Dr. Taproot? Is that you?

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

Unlike scruffy-lookin’ cat herder Morphine, I will explain that on this site there are instructions on how to embed links inside text for the comments function–I did not use that function, but he did. I just used a URL shortener available online. Just click on the Formatting tips link at the bottom of the box where you post a comment and it provides how-to instructions.

• DPete27
        • 1 year ago

Sometimes I suspect less familiar readers are likely to NOT click embedded links in the TR comments and forums for fear of them being advert spam.

• JustAnEngineer
          • 1 year ago

TR’s forum administrators are quite vigilant. The half-life for a SPAM post to survive is not long.

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]scruffy-lookin' cat herder[/quote<] You misspelled "sexy beast."

• kvndoom

[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzOHq5WbQ8k<]Obligatory.[/url<]

• Sargent Duck

What? No SSD’s?

I’m disappointed.

• MileageMayVary
      • 1 year ago

You’ll get one if you buy that laptop.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

That Lenovo 330 only has a 35WHr battery.

• Goty
      • 1 year ago

And single channel RAM to boot. There’s a reason it’s down to $500.

• gc9
        • 1 year ago

This configuration has dual channel RAM, apparently: it has both onboard memory and memory in the single slot.

“[url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834850877&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11877032&PID=1800524&SID=<]Memory Spec: 4 GB onboard + 4 GB x 1[/url<]" "[url=http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/Lenovo%20Laptops/ideapad%20330%20(15_)%20AMD/ideapad_330_15_AMD_Platform_Specifications.pdf<]dual channel capable[/url<]" (There are [url=http://psref.lenovo.com/Product/Lenovo_Laptops/ideapad_330_15_AMD<]other configurations[/url<] that have only the 4GB soldered, or only a 16GB socketed DIMM.)

• 1 year ago

It’s got an optical drive. That decision seems crazy, in light of the battery capacity.

• DPete27
        • 1 year ago

The 330 line is Lenovo’s budget category. Nearly all of the millions of variations in that family are under $600. In the budget zone you get a [s<]standard[/s<]thick chassis, so they probably figure it's pointless to omit an optical drive if there's enough thickness for it anyway.

• 1 year ago

Maybe, but I’d take the additional battery space any day.

• DPete27
            • 1 year ago

Oh, gotcha. Your direction wasn’t clear in the previous comment. Yes. I definitely agree with that statement.

• Pancake
      • 1 year ago

The Huawei Matebook D tested by Hothardware got 5.5hrs runtime playing videos. Given that the Huawei has a smaller screen and a whopping huge 57.4Wh battery I’d speculate the Lenovo can go maybe 3hrs playing videos. On a good day. That’s crapbook standard.

• davidbowser
    • 1 year ago

Lots of music playing growing up (piano, percussion, trombone) in classical symphony orchestra as well as jazz. I also did chorus and even sang in an opera.

Nothing worth mentioning for the last 15 years or so, but some of my coworkers recently discovered I could sing (while drinking in a bar in NYC) and have now asked me to sing every time we have team happy hours. I suspect it is more about my lack of fear or embarrassment of singing in public rather than my actual skill. My kids would be mortified.

• dpaus
      • 1 year ago

It wouldn’t matter WHAT you did, your kids would still be mortified.

• atari030
      • 1 year ago

That’s a good amount more accomplished than I. I’ve played piano/keys in various bands from high school on, the last of which was a cover band playing bars which lasted for close to eight years (amazing considering the number of personnel changes we went through during that time) 🙂

• davidbowser
        • 1 year ago

I give props to anyone that keeps the music alive as an adult. I just lost the time/desire it takes to play.

• 1 year ago

[quote<]My kids would be mortified.[/quote<] This is how you measure success as a parent, I think.