Fight Procrastination Day Shortbread

Sounds like a good plan for tomorrow.

PC hardware and computing

1. Gigabyte Aero 15W review @ bit-tech
  2. Dell XPS 15 (9570) review @ HotHardware
  3. SteelSeries QcK Limited review @ TechPowerUp

Games, culture, and VR

1. Limited-edition Xbox controller helps greasy gamers get a grip @ New Atlas
  2. Jagged Alliance: Rage comes sneaking out of the jungle in three weeks @ Rock Paper Shotgun
  3. Skies Above the Reich flies circles around the competition @ Quarter To Three

Hacks, gadgets and crypto-jinks

1. Owners really like their robot vacuums, survey says @ New Atlas (heck yeah we do)
  2. Uber will turn your smartphone into an automatic crash detector @ Slashdot
  3. Robots invade your personal space @ HackADay (not a great headline, but story is worth a look)

Science, technology, and space news

1. Amazon achieved a market value of $1,000,000,000,000 @ Ars Technica
  2. TiVo says it will discontinue support for dial-up service later this month @ Slashdot
  3. Russian space chief vows to find "full name" of technician who caused ISS leak @ Ars Technica

Cheese, memes, and shiny things

1. This 7,200-year-old cheese stands alone among world's oldest @ cnn.com (wait, then what was this?)
Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• HERETIC

Times are a changing-
    First we had Asus making AMD chipsets.
    Now TSMC to manufacture chipsets for Intel.
    [url<]https://www.hexus.net/business/news/components/121994-intel-will-outsource-14nm-chip-production-tsmc/[/url<]

• ronch
    • 1 year ago

Too lazy to comment now. Maybe tomorrow

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

I love my Roomba. I’d buy their lawnmower if I could afford it. Probably the Husqavarna version, but still. In 10 years no one who has a non-large enclosed yard will be mowing their own anymore.

• BIF
      • 1 year ago

Roomba makes a lawn mower? That’s a little bit terrifying, if I may say so myself.

• Krogoth
        • 1 year ago

Robotic mowers have been a thing for a while. I have seen one in person mowing a small front yard.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 1 year ago

Do they come with an insurance policy?

• JustAnEngineer

Sure.
            [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpJDvAjM0R8[/url<]

• Srsly_Bro
            • 1 year ago

LMAO. I miss those commercials. Thanks for sharing.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 year ago

I didn’t wait until tomorrow to comment. It’s still before midnight.

• 1 year ago

It was nearly 2 AM server time, though. It’s always tomorrow somewhere.

• dragontamer5788

First!!

• kvndoom
      • 1 year ago

I had planned to upvote you yesterday.

• BIF
      • 1 year ago

I downvoted you because I don’t like “First” posts, but then I realized your post actually wasn’t first. I got the joke a bit late, not by procrastination, but because I DIDN’T procrastinate. My bad.

• Unknown-Error

I’ll post something later

• 1 year ago

I would love to fight procrastination, but I will do it tomorrow.

• BIF

Nice try, amateur.

I, by contrast, waited until “tomorrow” to say that I’ll tell you tomorrow when I will NOT fight procrastination. Maybe I’ll tell you tomorrow. But probably not.

I want a Roomba. Maybe I’ll google that. Maybe tomorrow. 😉

• drfish
        • 1 year ago

I still can’t believe Funk got up-votes just for stealing my image caption. 😛

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: FWIW, I had planned to wait a while before reading any of the shortbread.

• BIF
            • 1 year ago

Late save? Probably could have waited until “tomorrow”. But then, I could have waited until even later to make this reply. Well, THAT would have been confusing. 😀

• Mr Bill
    • 1 year ago

Can I get a Robo Vac without the vacuum feature? Just to give my cat a mobile platform from which to inspect his domain?

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Something like [url=https://morbotron.com/meme/S05E04/1064329.jpg?b64lines=TW9iaWxlIE9wcHJlc3Npb24gUGFsYWNl<]this[/url<]?

• Neutronbeam
    • 1 year ago

Sorry drfish–I just got around to reading this now… I tried to get to it sooner.

• blastdoor
    • 1 year ago

In other news, Samsung maintains they will continue to hang in there with TSMC and Intel:

[url<]https://www.anandtech.com/show/13329/samsung-foundry-updates-8lpu-for-2019[/url<] but after GloFo threw in the towel, we must wonder --- will they really hang in there? I think the key is whether they have sufficient client demand for their upcoming EUV processes. I don't know the answer to that.... I can really see it going either way.

• HERETIC
      • 1 year ago

[url<]https://www.fudzilla.com/news/pc-hardware/47133-samsung-electronics-and-sk-hynix-put-the-brakes-on[/url<]

• dragosmp
    • 1 year ago

Yes we like our robot vacuums, hell yes. Would you hand wash your clothes? Me neither, that’s what the washing machine is for. Same for the vacuuming – the robot does is better, while I’m asleep or at work. Look at what you need feature wise, but once you decide just click buy and enjoy not having to vacuum ever again.

*This way we get more time to procrastinate

• Voldenuit
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Yes we like our robot vacuums, hell yes. Would you hand wash your clothes? Me neither, that's what the washing machine is for.[/quote<] Who still irons their clothes like a Neanderthal? Me, I just stick my rice cooker in the closet, and all my clothes get magically starched and ironed at the same time!

• Redocbew
        • 1 year ago

Most rice cookers I’ve seen would probably do a better job of that than they would cooking rice.

• Usacomp2k3
          • 1 year ago

You need to look harder then. Rice cookers are pretty close to fool-proof. (as long as you get the water ratio close to right).

• JustAnEngineer
            • 1 year ago

I can’t think of much that is easier to cook in a pot on the stove than rice. The idea of cluttering up my limited space with a dedicated device for such a simple task seems a bit absurd.

• BIF
            • 1 year ago

You’re right, it IS absurd! Every rice cooker I’ve ever had would boil over the rice. I was cluttering up my limited space with a dedicated device THAT DIDN’T WORK! Now that’s absurd.

• Usacomp2k3
            • 1 year ago

It truly is a set and forget appliance. I can get rice going in a total of 45 seconds. Get out the rice cooker from under cabinet. Take the pot to the rice bucket and put in 2 1-cup scoops. Take the pot to the sink and put in 3 cups of water. Put the pot in the rice cooker and turn on. Done. The rice will be ready in ~20 minutes and is fine to sit in warm-mode for an hour afterwards. It just takes 0 thought to the point that I can help in the kitchen.

We make rice 2-5 times/week and wouldn’t be without one.

• JustAnEngineer
            • 1 year ago

The procedure with a [url=http://www.calphalon.com/en-US/calphalon-cookware/cookware-by-category/sauce-pans/calphalon-classic-nonstick-25-qt-sauce-pan-with-cover-ca-1943332<]sauce pot[/url<] is pretty much the same, except that it takes 30 seconds for the pot to come to a boil before I turn it down and walk away and you left out the part where I say "Alexa, set rice timer for 20 minutes".

• lastinline
            • 1 year ago

There seems to be a big gap between the Japanese/Korean rice pressure cookers and everything else. The former work well, and are capable of keeping the rice hot and fresh for more than a day. The latter, not so much.

Still, it may not make sense to own one, unless rice is a staple for you, and you like having hot rice on demand around the clock.

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

$20 Wal-mart special that I’ve had for 10 (10!) years, cooks rice great.

As Usacomp2k3 says, the trick is in the water ratio (less than you’d think, and less than the guide markings tell you). I use about 0.5 IN standing water over the top surface of the uncooked rice. Also, be sure to rinse the rice out until the water is clear(ish) before cooking. Which is bad for nutrition, but improves the texture.

For brown rice, I do a 1.5 cycle. Run the rice cooker until the water starts to simmer, dump out the water and refill with fresh water, then cook all the way through. If you want to do a half-and-half brown+white rice, add the white rice after dumping the simmered water.

Fluff the rice with a fork or spoon and let stand before serving. If the rice cooker has a keep warm function (most do), leave it on while you’re standing.

@JAE: Even a basic rice cooker makes much less soggy and starchy rice than stovetop. I use the stovetop for risotto, and the texture is notoriously difficult to get right, and is a lot of work. Rice cooker lets the rice cook while I concentrate on cooking the main dishes.

• BIF
            • 1 year ago

I didn’t know there were pressure cookers for rice. A few brand names, please. I might even not procrastinate on this one…

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

Zojirushi makes some that technically aren’t pressure cookers but steam the rice and claim “fuzzy logic”. Not cheap, either, you’re looking at $170+ for the good ones.

I personally don’t like the fancy rice cookers because they are less versatile. With my dead-simple heating coil cooker, I can make pilaf (pre-cook rice grains in separate pan with butter and spices), wild rice (change ratio of water), quinoa (similar to pilaf), pork fat (add fatty pieces of pork, shitake mushrooms and sauce before finish). The fancy cookers are also harder to clean.

EDIT: apparently TR thinks s h i t a k e is a bad word now? JFC.

• BIF
            • 1 year ago

Thanks, I shall check on that brand.

I noticed that it asterisk’d the first 4 characters and omitted/lost the “ake” part. It must not be a very sophisticated suppression routine, but would catch more heuristic shi…er, stuff. Like “~can”, “~load”, “~head”, “~ton”, and, well you get the idea. 😀

• Redocbew
    • 1 year ago

I do not procrastinate. This is a [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzE7P3KPi4I<]tactical delay[/url<].

• Srsly_Bro
      • 1 year ago

He got called sexist for referring to the uniforms as dresses. Star trek started the sjw movement way back then. Interesting.

• faramir
        • 1 year ago

What about dress uniforms?