Logitech lets iPad users everywhere get their hands on its Crayon

Apple's capable Pencil should have put that Steve Jobs line about styluses to bed long ago, but its $100 price tag and curious charging design have drawn questions about its sharpness.

Logitech's Crayon is the first aftermarket writing instrument that works with Apple's iPads, and it doesn't awkwardly protrude from Lightning connectors when it's charging, but it has so far been available to educational customers only.

Today, though, members of the general public looking for a more affordable stylus to go with their pen-friendly iPads can get their hands on a Crayon of their own. Logitech will be selling its stylus for $70 through its website,  Apple's online store, and physical Apple stores this month, and it'll be available everywhere else in October.

Logitech specifically notes that the Crayon only works with the sixth-generation iPad, but it doesn't seem like there's any technical reason it shouldn't work with iPad Pros, as well. Still, we'd tread carefully if you're looking to save $30 on a stylus to go with an iPad Pro.

• Longsdivision
    • 1 year ago

Hey…um…don’t forget about us….

/MS Surface owner waves

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Mini Chuckula is NOT allowed to use a crayon on an iPad!
    Seriously who would give a preschooler that kind of horrible idea!

Now if it’s on an Android device that’s fine, but no iPad.

• 1 year ago

First, an open-ended question: are iPads really that popular in schools?

Second, my own experience: I work on a student data management package sold in the US and Canada. I could (but won’t) name dozens of school districts that use our software to track 1:1 device programs and show device information to parents on the parent portal. Almost all of them are tracking Chromebooks. A couple are tracking Windows devices. Only one that I’ve worked with is tracking iPads. I’m sure there’s more than one in our customer base, but it can’t possibly be anything approaching the number of districts using Chromebooks.

Third, my conclusion: all that is to say that this Crayon was too little, too late for Apple, and Logitech is basically forced to sell this to the general public so they can actually get something out of the design.

• FireGryphon
      • 1 year ago

In the school district in which I teach, many if not all of the schools have iPads. The catch is that apart from a very select niche apps and testing platforms, the only reason anyone uses the iPads is because they are usually faster than the computers we have so the kids can access web content without the slowdowns inherent on our aging and tired desktops and laptops. The district seems unwilling to supply Chromebooks and won’t let schools buy their own, either. This isn’t a 1:1 scenario anyway, but my conclusion from it is that ‘iPad’ is a nice buzzword but they are not all that more useful than a regular internet portal. I think most districts get this and are going the Chromebook route.

I remember all the excitement ten years ago when everyone wanted their schools (at least here) to have iPads available for student use. I thought it was a silly fad, and it turns out, based on my experience and yours, that I was right.

• 1 year ago

That makes sense.

My daughter’s teachers the last couple years have each had a single iPad in the classroom, but I was under the impression that the teachers were buying those. Maybe the district did. At any rate, it’s a single device per classroom. Once she hits junior high, the district provides Chromebooks.

• sweatshopking
          • 1 year ago

In Nova scotia it’s 100% chromebooks as per the provincial purchasing. In Alberta it depends where you are. Edmonton is heavy into chromebooks in particular.

• Pulsar_the_Spacenerd
        • 1 year ago

My high school (graduated last year) used iPads, and they are transitioning to a mixed apple/windows program next year. IPads proved to be really awful for school, the only thing they were decent for was storing textbooks. Both Google Docs and MS Word are severely limited on iOS, to the point where you cannot do all the formatting needed for an assignment. My friend and I made a list of everything we used them for, and every task could be performed better by a chromebook (and $400 surfaces exist now too).
        They were definitely the result of an advertising fad, but iPads were only ever really good for content consumption.

• blastdoor
      • 1 year ago

My sister’s school district (she’s a teacher) was trying iPads for all the students a few years ago, but I haven’t asked her how that went or if they’ve switched to chromebooks (somehow that’s just never a topic of conversation).

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they switched, though. My impression from talking to her about it at the time was that the deployment was poorly thought out — very fad-like. And more generally, I think Apple seriously dropped the ball in terms of things like device management and multi-user support, and even just the basic educational software that would make the devices compelling. I have the impression that Apple somehow thought that they could just dump consumer iPads in schools and that something magical would happen, without giving any consideration to what software, services, and infrastructure need to be in place for the iPad to really reach its potential. Of course, that was their attitude with enterprise users, too — here’s the device, thanks for your money, good luck. Grrr.

• 1 year ago

Maybe it was that way in the beginning, but not so much today. Classrooms of iPads can be managed via Apple School Manager. Sync students/rosters with that, and iPads now support multi-user functionality. But all of that came WAY after Chrome OS and Chromebooks started infiltrating K-12, and it just wasn’t enough to woo people back.

Add the fact that you can get around 5 cheap Chromebooks for every three $329 entry-level iPads you buy, and it’s not hard to see why Apple is losing in the education market.

• blastdoor
          • 1 year ago

Yes, her district was doing it before Apple started to realize that those supports were needed.

I think for Apple to make headway in education now will be very hard. But I don’t think the path forward is to beat chromebooks on price. They have to offer a better overall product for a price that is a little higher. The price difference that you quote seems acceptable to me, but I i’m skeptical that Apple is offering a better product to justify the extra price. For one thing, the iPad does not come with a physical keyboard.

Very ironically, if Apple had just iterated this product: [url<]https://www.macworld.com/article/2020270/the-forgotten-emate-300-15-years-later.html[/url<] they might have a much stronger position in the education market