Thursday deals: a 240-Hz Alienware G-Sync display for $380 and more

Have we ever talked about Two Point Hospital? Well, it's out now and pretty much as its name implies, it's what Theme Hospital 2.0 would have been. I've played a bit yesterday and it's pretty much everything I hoped for, even if it doesn't exactly tread new ground. And hey, now you can have non-square rooms, and you can… move them. You heard right. Right now, though, our task is filtering the multitude of deals on hand. We therefore present you the finest six of the lot. Enjoy.

• The first item on the docket today is the Alienware AW2518H. This 25″ gaming monitor is one of the finest samples of the breed, thanks to its stratospheric 240-Hz refresh rate and support for G-Sync adaptive refresh rate technology. The resolution is 1920×1080 to ease the burden on graphics cards. Despite the use of a TN panel, the AW2518H can hit a brightness level of 400 cd/m² and has a 1000:1 contrast ratio. Get your gaming on for $379.99 from Best Buy.

• Today's apparently monitor day, since we have a couple more items of interest in that department. The LG 27MU58-B is a 27″ display bearing an IPS panel with a resolution of 3840×2160 and FreeSync support. The rest of the specs aren't earth-shattering, but that's fine with us since the price tag is an absurd $249.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCPYPV59. We'll repeat: only $250 for a quality 4K IPS display.

• The trifecta of pixel-windows is complete with the LG 32GK850G. This large-format gaming screen uses a VA panel with a resolution of 2560×1440, a 144-Hz refresh rate (overclockable to 165 Hz), and support for G-Sync. That's not all, though. There's an RGB LED light ring around the back, along with a USB hub with charging support. The included stand is height-adjustable, too. Newegg will let you take this display home for $599.99 with the promo code EMCPYPT27.

• Since we're on the topic of peripherals, we'd like you to take a look at the Aukey KM-G7 keyboard. This tenkeyless affair comes with Outemu blue switches, LED lighting, n-key rollover, and a sparse design that should make it an easy fit for any desk. Amazon will let you have it for $25.83 with the checkout code MT3MZVCY. I own the regular, non-lit version of this clicker, and I've always felt like I'd robbed a stagecoach by getting it for only 26€.

• The last piece of today's puzzle is the EVGA Supernova 850 G3 power supply. This unit requires little introduction, and it has fully modular cabling, semi-passive cooling, and a $99.99 price tag at Newegg. There's a $20 rebate card available, too.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• DPete27

derp

• Laykun
    • 1 year ago

Strange that dell doesn’t list if the panel is 6bit+FRC or 8bit, even in the user manual. Had friend recently who bought a TN high refresh rate gsync panel and was stung by this (it’s TN of course).

EDIT: I’m reading reports on the internet that all TN panels are 6bit, is this true? I feel like there must be 8bit panels out there somewhere.

• Pwnstar
      • 1 year ago

There are 8 bit panels. Just look on the Specs page if you want to find them.

Here’s one: [url<]http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gk750f.htm#specs[/url<]

• rnalsation
    • 1 year ago

I was trying to figure out how Two Point Hospital linked in with at 240Hz gaming monitor and I’m pretty disappointed it didn’t.

• synthtel2
    • 1 year ago

That RAM is not back where it should be, our expectations for it are just miscalibrated because it’s been 2-2.5x what it should be for so long.

• Physicist59
      • 1 year ago

Agreed. I got 8GB of DDR3 RAM for a cheap laptop six years ago for $30. You can’t touch that anywhere now.

• Wilko
    • 1 year ago

Two Point Hospital is sitting in my library and I want to play it badly, but I can’t find spare time for it after work and Monster Hunter World.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 1 year ago

The original Theme Hospital is [url=https://www.gog.com/game/theme_hospital<]$1.19[/url<] at GoG.

• Freon
        • 1 year ago

It has aged very well. Bought it off GoG several years ago and played it for hours.

• Wilko
        • 1 year ago

And for those who already bought the classic Theme Hospital, there’s CorsixTH which lets you play Theme Hospital on modern systems with high resolutions.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

The FreeSync range on that LG 27MU58-B is 40-60Hz in case anyone is wondering and doesn’t want to click the newegg link.

• Freon
      • 1 year ago

Variable sync without LFC is, IMO, not worth using.

There are a lot of very cheap 144hz displays now. I’d rather just run 144hz static refresh. And even then a lot of those cheaper 144hz displays have Freesync with LFC. 40-60hz range is sort of insulting and probably tricking a lot of people who don’t know better.

• Usacomp2k3
        • 1 year ago

Which is exactly why GSync is still a thing in my opinion to prevent manufacturers from pulling crap like that.

• JustAnEngineer
        • 1 year ago

My favorite game hovers around 120 fps with occasional dips into two-digit fps. I’m therefore glad that my 144 Hz monitor includes FreeSync with LFC.

• Firestarter
    • 1 year ago

I just googled the LG 32GK850G and found 2 glowing reviews from tftcentral.co.uk and prad.de. It seems like it’ll let you have your cake and eat it too!

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

And the GSync tax is only about $60 with this sale price. Which, in the grand scheme of things, ain’t bad.

*I still wouldn’t buy a GSync monitor based on principle.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 1 year ago

I keep my monitors for years and I use Nvidia so it’s not an issue for me.

• K-L-Waster
        • 1 year ago

It’s technology, not a sports team or a political party. We don’t have to declare undying allegiance to one side or the other.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 year ago

Great deals. I don’t have a need for any of these, thankfully.

• The Egg
    • 1 year ago

That LG 1440p 32″ display looks pretty dang good, and only about $50 more than I paid for my similarly spec’d Freesync 2 model earlier this year.