HyperX outfits its Alloy FPS RGB keyboard with all of the lights

We deemed HyperX's Alloy FPS keyboard worthy of a TR Recommended award when we reviewed it thanks to its solid steel frame and fat-free bezels. Now, the company has a version of the board that lets lighting aficionados have their fun. The Alloy FPS RGB offers per-key blinkenlighting in any of 16.7 million colors.

Although the original Alloy FPS offered Cherry MX switches in all the usual flavors, the Alloy FPS RGB turns to Kailh for its clickers. The Speed Silver switches under this board's key caps are linear affairs with a 1.1-mm actuation distance and 3.5 mm of total travel. They also have an actuation force of just 40 cN.

Those specs mean Kailh's gamer-friendly switches have even slightly less actuation distance than the 1.2-mm point of Cherry's MX Speed clickers, as well as a 5-cN reduction in actuation force. That might mean the Alloy FPS RGB will require a bit of an adjustment period for typists, but gamers could instantly fall in love with its feathery touch and instant responsiveness.

HyperX also outfits the Alloy FPS RGB with a USB device-charging port, as well as onboard memory for three profiles that can be customized through the company's nGenuity software. Best of all, the board is reasonably priced for a full-size RGB LED affair, at just $109.99. Look for this board on store shelves soon.

• 1 year ago

Does this have WRGB lighting, or like most RGBLED products does that mean that white light is both 3x the brightness of a WLED and somewhat ‘dirty’ in appearance – by which I mean you can see hints of red, green, and blue where light from a single-colour LED has escaped through a gap.

I hate RGBLED, but I don’t mind backlit as long as it’s non-intrusive in terms of software, not a laser-disco-rainbow-explosion, and not retina-searingly bright.

• christos_thski
      • 1 year ago

You want a silver G413 from Logitech. Great understated white led lighting. Nothing fancy or gimmicky and it really does help typing with low light.

• Jeff Kampman
      • 1 year ago

I’m not aware of any RGB LED keyboards that integrate a separate white LED; it’s all plain RGB. I will note that even with that fact in mind, there’s no reason why you couldn’t dial down the brightness levels of the color white on an RGB board, even if it doesn’t fix the color-purity issue.

• 1 year ago

Fair enough.

I like the WLED of my CM QF Rapid-i, because the lowest-intensity backlight setting is just enough to make the keys clearly visible without becoming bright enough to act as a light source that illuminates other things on my desk like the screen bezel, my microphone etc.

I’ve seen plenty of RGBLED keyboards on laptops and a couple from Corsair and the huge increase in minimum brightness is too much. Compared to my Rapid-i which has 0-100% in even steps, RGBLED products seem to go from off to 60% in one step, and then let you adjust between 60 and 100% compared to WLED products.

It’s probably fine if you want your RGBLED to attract attention at a LAN party, but there’s probably a demographic like me that just wants enough illumination for it to be useful. My Kindle Paperwhite is also never more than about 25% brightness either, and it’s rare that I set my monitors to more than about 30% so I guess I’m just sensitive to staring at bright light sources 😉

• stdRaichu
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]I hate RGBLED, but I don't mind backlit as long as it's non-intrusive in terms of software[/quote<] Much like yourself I wanted a backlit keyboard and since I'm a linux user software is an issue (although there are utils out there for controlling some of the more common keyboard brands), but there are several keyboard manufacturers who make keyboards that can be configured without software. The keyboard commands for my [url=https://www.ikbckeyboard.com/product-page/mf108<]iKBC MF108[/url<] LEDs are somewhat cryptic, but since I'm not looking for a light show I only had to configure them once (although I have turned some individual keys to unique colours). Following on from the snobbery topic though, having one of these at home makes me desperately yearn for decent keyboards at work.The latest wave of Dell keyboards at work feel like they came out of a christmas cracker and have all the tactile response of a used condom.

• kvndoom
        • 1 year ago

All of the new HP workstations we get have the dreadful Macbook style keyboards where the buttons are essentially warts. Every computer that I use frequently, I have dug out old USB keyboards from previous systems and replaced them.