Unboxing and experimenting with Microsoft’s Xbox Adaptive Controller

As promised last week, I took some time to record the process of taking my recently delivered Xbox Adaptive Controller out of its packaging—otherwise known as an unboxing video. As advertised, the packaging made it extremely easy to access the controller. The box kind of just melted out of the way, even though it was obviously protecting the contents well. I'm hard-pressed to find anything to complain about. See for yourself.

Yeah, I think I'm going to stick to writing.

After I got it out of the box, I had to play with this thing just a bit. It paired easily over Bluetooth and showed up in Windows' Game Controllers Control Panel pane, just like you'd expect. As soon as I had the built-in buttons lighting up on the screen, I tried out the two external switches I'd picked up for testing . No surprises there: plugged into the 3.5mm audio jacks on the back of the controller, the buttons worked perfectly. That only left me with one thing to double check before moving forward with my master plan.

Oh yes, these are fertile lands…

Sacrificing an audio cable and stripping the wires was all it took to confirm that, yes, it's really going to be that easy to make a DIY controller from basically any switches that tickle my fancy. Sweet. I've already got some unorthodox plans for crafting everything together and I'd love to hear your thoughts, as well. Let me know what you think and I'll be back when I've got something cool to share.

Colton Westrate

I post Shortbread, I host BBQs, I tell stories, and I strive to keep folks happy.

• Horshu
    • 1 year ago

1. Giant EDM-version of the one-man-band from “Mary Poppins”. It could even get hooked up to one of those drum machine/guitar T-shirts on thinkgeek.
    2. Responsive “suit” for playing laser-tag or other
    3. Dance Dance Revolution-style home pad
    4. Build-your-own Steel Battalion controller.
    5. Maybe serve as the hub for a proper flight sim controller for the Xbox.

• fredsnotdead
    • 1 year ago

Guitar foot pedal-type switches would seem to fit the ruggedness requirement. Search “stomp switch” on amazon e.g.

Edit: Note they come in both momentary and latching versions, with up to 3 poles.

• Zizy
    • 1 year ago

This DIY – honestly, what else did you expect? The thingy is supposed to work with anything and is claimed to support any DIY button you might want to make. The only way it can support everything is by supporting any two wires and a switch.

What cool button did you have in mind?

I just wanted a foot pedal for switch. Stupid camelCase.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Well, I don’t want to spoil anything (or over-promise and under-deliver) but I’ve got some ideas for very large switches, very cheap switches, and switches that actuate because of rotation.

• rnalsation
    • 1 year ago

Does anyone make just an input base-station? A “Here is the mega-hub bring your own inputs.” kind of affair. Or is this it, is this ‘The’ device?

• Zizy
      • 1 year ago

This is the device for consoles and/or gaming. A gaming mixing table.
      You can easily ignore those buttons provided. I think you won’t see a device ditching everything and serving just as a hub unless the “hub” market gets huge somehow.
      Many people with disabilities are fine by getting just this device, or perhaps an additional button. Ditching those inputs present in hopes to lower price slightly would require few extra buttons for most people = extra 100$ or so => many won’t get the device => lower volume => higher price of the device. Despite tiny cost savings offered by removing those few buttons.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

[url=http://www.u-hid.com/home/overview_board.php<]This[/url<] is the kind of thing I was considering previously.

• llisandro
    • 1 year ago

I’ve always wanted to make something like a [url=http://www.scottmadethis.net/interactive/beetbox/<]beet box[/url<] for fun. What fun is a button when you can use a banana!

• chuckula

Great project Colton!

Anything that involves making LEDs turn on and off is a worthy project.

• Mr Bill
    • 1 year ago

Hmmm, WOW death knight easy buttons (like you can’t already face roll them), or possible music effects controller.

• liquidsquid
    • 1 year ago

I always wanted enormous foot pedals for weapon switching in Quake rather than reaching up for a specific key and losing my WASD. Something that could take about 300lbs of pressure when I started getting P.O.ed at my opponents.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

I want those kinds of tabs on everything.

Looking forward to checking out more of this!