In the lab: Nvidia’s GeForce RTX 2080 Ti and GeForce RTX 2080

We're still working up our discussion of the architecture behind Nvidia's GeForce RTX graphics cards and their Turing GPUs, but I'm taking a short breather to show you the GeForce RTX Founders Edition cards themselves. Say hello to the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition, fresh from its box:

Nvidia's first dual-fan, open-style cooler is a knockout, if you ask me. Everything you see that's silver is metal, and the "wrap-around" design of the front and back plates is gorgeous.

The RTX 2080 Ti and RTX 2080 Founders Editions are largely the same externally, save for different markings on the central black plastic section and on their backplates. They're as long as one another and use the same cooler underneath their duo of fans. The RTX 2080 Ti needs two eight-pin power connectors, while the RTX 2080 has a six-pin-and-eight-pin plug pair.

Here's another look at that wrap-around backplate design. Undeniably classy cards, these. The RTX 2080 Ti Founders Edition seems to be sold out practically everywhere, but you can still get in line for an RTX 2080 Founders Edition at Best Buy for its $800 suggested price.

• psuedonymous
    • 1 year ago

It’s a bit of a shame to see the end of the NVTTM based designs (the only even vaguely decent rear-exhaust cooler) but at least the FE design looks miles better than the AIB coolers, which have universally adopted the “fell backward through a bucket of plastic angles” design methodology.

• VincentHanna
      • 1 year ago

I agree. For smaller builds, exhausting directly out the rear of the case makes a lot of sense from an airflow perspective.

• benedict
    • 1 year ago

If you got these cards directly from nVidia, signed the NDA to review them on nVidia’s terms, use a closed driver unavailable to the public, how can we trust the reviews to be credible?

• K-L-Waster
      • 1 year ago

Soooo you’re expecting a [u<]thorough[/u<] review [u<]on release day[/u<] with a store bought card?

• VincentHanna
      • 1 year ago

Learn to assess the quality of the information that is presented to you by using basic common sense and multiple sources?

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

I’m sure you posted that exact same comment at Vega’s launch when literally the exact same situation existed.

But for some reason I can’t find it in the comment section of TR’s Vega review!

Why don’t you post a link to it so that we know exactly how fair and even handed you are in your pursuit of Truth Justice and the [s<]AMD[/s<] American Way.

• Unknown-Error
    • 1 year ago

nVidia really knows how to build classy looking chassis in addition to world-beating performance.

• thedosbox

Does the cat approve?

• drfish
    • 1 year ago

Those cards + that tabletop = me seriously wanting a sexy wooden PC case.

• DeadOfKnight

got wood?

• oldog
      • 1 year ago

I made one in the garage once. Terrible thermals. Abandoned quickly.

• gerryg
      • 1 year ago

Hmm, that gets me thinking, maybe granite or quartz. Ooh! Or I could make shiplap ones for the Fixer Upper crowd!

• morphine
    • 1 year ago

Upvote if you think TR Europe should have the cards after Jeff’s done with them.

• chuckula

[b<]AFTER[/b<]???

• morphine

Good point.

• sweatshopking
      • 1 year ago

TR Europe doesn’t even have snow yet. MY DECK IS WHITE AND MY TEARS ARE REAL. Send them to everyone’s favorite semi annual reviewer in Calgary!

• morphine

[quote<]MY DECK IS WHITE AND MY TEARS ARE REAL[/quote<] sux 2 b u

• sweatshopking

MINUSED FOR THE HATE

• JustAnEngineer
        • 1 year ago

Forget the mechanical TuRk. We could set SSK to running benchmarks in the basement all winter, until the snow melts.

Meanwhile, today’s heat index on the gulf coast was a steamy 105 F.

• sweatshopking
          • 1 year ago

Snow will be here until probably may

🙁

• LostCat

That sounds awesome.

• JustAnEngineer
            • 1 year ago

I would prefer something in the middle. The high temperature here today will be 95 °F with scattered afternoon thunderstorms, heat index: 106 °F.

• tipoo
    • 1 year ago

Alright Jeff, we all know what we’re all wondering, how did it taste?

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

This person is asking the real questions.

• 1 year ago

Nvidia was touting their support for raytracing going forwards but if the mainstream cards from both AMD and Nvidia won’t have it through 2019 and 2020 then I don’t see why I should bother paying Nvidia’s early adopter tax and lock myself to the limited selection of G-Sync monitors.

It’s still going to be blisteringly fast at 4K on new games, but I’m not exactly struggling with anything enough right now to want to drop $800 on a graphics card. 65″ 4K Freesync is the future, man. Nvidia need to get with the program already and support TV’s

• sweatshopking
      • 1 year ago

This ray tracing restriction is news to me. Guess my 1060 will be sticking around for years.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 1 year ago

I just messaged you on steam. I was playing Forza horizon 4 demo and the NPC was sweatshopking.

The game plays really well on my 1080Ti and I won’t be upgrading this cycle.

• sweatshopking
          • 1 year ago

game should play pretty well. they make them run with a locked fps on xbox one. 4k 60fps iirc on the xbox one x

• gerryg
      • 1 year ago

Agreed. I’m not an AMD lifer, but I support their open standards approach and I support competition in the market, so I’ll be sticking with AMD for a bit longer, until AMD is stronger and nVidia is open and cheaper. It helps that my budget is well under $500 though, so these new fancy-looking, AI-infused, proprietary and incredibly expensive cards are as far out of consideration as iPhones are. 65″ 4K Freesync is the future, but it’s not quite here yet. Soon… soon…

• 1 year ago

Yeah, the 65″ 4K Freesync was not cheap, but in fairness it wasn’t silly money either. 65″ is still in the “sweet spot” price range where more $$$ gets you linearly more screen area. Once you go above that things are exponentially more expensive rapidly, and the exponent is a worryingly large number.

4K is mandatory, it’s practically impossible to buy a 1080p TV now.

Freesync was a bonus that was added for free after I’d bought the TV. Sadly, I haven’t changed the HTPC to an AMD GPU yet so it’s a wasted feature. I’m more annoyed that G-Sync isn’t ever going to be a TV feature, so if you want VRR on your television, Nvidia only want to sell you a licensed “BFGD” G-Sync monitor in 2019 that will likely be triple/quadruple/quintuple the cost of a market-leading TV from established brands and – don’t get me wrong, I like their monitors – I just don’t think Asus/HP/Acer are going to beat the TV market leaders on their first attempt.

• Voldenuit
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Now that I know only the 2080 and 2070 lines will have raytracing, I'm not even interested.[/quote<] Is that confirmed? Since the 2070 is a full-enabled TU106 die instead of a cut-down TU104, I'd have expected the 2060 to be a cut-down TU106, which would mean at least some of the hardware is there on the die.

• Austin
        • 1 year ago

😉 I’d heard that too (the 2080TI, 2080 and 2070 will be the only ones with RT). I believe it was to do with the horsepower needed to render full scene RT and the 2070 is very much as low as it can go and still be feasible.

Given the information we (the public) have so far that the 2080TI struggles to achieve a remotely decent framerate at 1080p with full scene RT. If so (and it’s not a big ‘if’) then the 2070 will struggle BIG time so it wouldn’t make sense to bother with the 2060 and 2050 as they’ll surely be significantly under-powered compared to the 2070 rendering full scene RT pretty useless. But then we’ve often had low end graphics cards with large amounts of RAM which was completely pointless and utterly useless so who can say for certain?

IMHO the future is RT … but it will be several years before it’s truly viable and the 2018 $1000 2080TI will suck compared to the cards we’ll have out around 2021.

• Voldenuit
          • 1 year ago

I believe the rumor started because nvidia CFO Colette Kress [url=https://www.techpowerup.com/247429/nvidias-20-series-could-be-segregated-via-lack-of-rtx-capabilities-in-lower-tier-cards<]said this at a Q&A[/url<]: [quote<] "We'll start with the ray-tracing cards. We have the 2080 Ti, the 2080 and the 2070 overall coming to market,"[/quote<] People took that to mean that 'the 2060 will not have raytracing', whereas it could just as easily mean 'Colette is only talking about announced/shipping products, so the 2060 is not mentioned'. I agree that raytracing is so expensive computationally right now that it only really makes sense on the 2080 and 2080Ti. But I'd be surprised if the 2060 doesn't have it, if only as a checkbox feature, and also because I am expecting it to be made from salvaged TU106 dies instead of nvidia spinning off a completely separate die for the 2060.

• Krogoth
            • 1 year ago

What they probably mean is that lesser Turing SKUs and designs might end-up axing the tensor cores (Can’t fit enough on them the smaller die to make RTX mode meaningful and/or simple binning).

• VincentHanna
        • 1 year ago

I’d put the rumor in the same category as the rumor that the 2060 and 2050 will be labeled GTX, and be re-badged pascal chips as a method of clearing back inventory caused by grossly overestimating bitcoin demand. I’m fairly sure it’s all part of the same big rumor. Obviously, a GTX 1080 doesn’t have tensor cores, so if they rebrand the chips, they still won’t have tensor cores.

• Ryu Connor
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]65" 4K Freesync is the future, man. Nvidia need to get with the program already and support TV's[/quote<] They might through HDMI VRR, but they can't support HDMI Freesync. HDMI Freesync is not an open standard.

• K-L-Waster
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Nvidia need to get with the program already and support TV's[/quote<] Jensen looks at Pascal sales, looks at Polaris sales, then looks at Vega sales, and asks, "... why, exactly?"

• Jeff Kampman
      • 1 year ago

Who has provided a definitive statement that only the RTX 2080/Ti and RTX 2070 will have raytracing support? We don’t even know what other cards are coming yet.

• 1 year ago

Wasn’t that part of the whole reveal at GDC? That all three cards supported it?

Edit nevermind I can’t read

• dragontamer5788
          • 1 year ago

RTX 2080 Ti / 2080 / 2070 support Raytracing. This is the known fact.

Chrispy_ seems to think that the 2060 [b<]won't[/b<] support Raytracing. Which is at best unconfirmed. No one knows anything about the 2060 or 2050.

• 1 year ago

I missed the word “only” in Jeff’s comment. I thought he was asking who confirmed that the 2080 and 2070 would. Derp

• Leader952
            • 1 year ago

Why dance around the real meaning and just state that Chrispy_ just made it up.

It is funny that others just took the bait – hook line and sinker with no proof what-so-ever.

• K-L-Waster
            • 1 year ago

Hmmm… more likely read someone posting it on a forum somewhere and let confirmation bias do the rest.

• 1 year ago

[url=https://www.google.com/search?q=nvidia+gtx+2060+won%27t+have+raytracing<]Rumours, speculation and leaks are all over the web[/url<] but thanks for making it personal, that says a lot about one of us at least. My synopsis from reading dozens of websites since the RTX announcement is that it's quite likely (from leaked benchmarks of 2060 samples) that the mid-tier turing SKU will be labelled as GTX, not RTX. Additionally, EA-DICE recently stated in an interview that they've had to dial back the raytracing in BF5 and allow RTX users to disable it because it drastically lowers frame rates - and they can ONLY be talking about the RTX 2080 and 2070 lines - meaning that raytracing is already borderline too heavy for the flagship cards. I very much doubt that the cut-down raytracing capabilities of a half-sized GPU will be up to the task at all, lending yet more credit to the rumours and leaks stating that the 2060 will be a GTX not an RTX card. Combine that with Colette Kress' inference that of the 2000-series cards, the 2080Ti/2080/2070 are "the three RTX cards". Why make the distinction at all, when talking about Turing cards, unless other 2000-series products will not have raytracing support?

• K-L-Waster
            • 1 year ago

I wouldn’t be making definitive “this is what it will be, we already know this, the performance will be X and the features will only be in these specific SKUs” statements based on, as you say, “rumours, speculations, and leaks.”

But maybe that’s just me.

• 1 year ago

When talking about Turing as a product, Colette Kress specifically singled out the 2080Ti/2080/2070 as the RTX cards.

Being that specific was very significant, IMO.

• VincentHanna
        • 1 year ago

I heard it from Gamers Nexus/Steve Burke. He’s mentioned it a couple of times. “definitive” might be pushing it, but he apparently “knows a guy.”

• Leader952
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Now that I know only the 2080 and 2070 lines will have raytracing, I'm not even interested.[/quote<] What site did you go to to get that FAKE news!!! or did you just make it up Do you really think that Nvidia will only have ONE gaming card for each of the TU104 and TU106. Reality will be that cut down versions of those GPU's will result in RTX 1070 Ti, RTX 1060 Ti and RTX 1060. Also if Nvidia makes a TU108 then expect RTX 1050 Ti and RTX 1050.

• Spunjji
        • 1 year ago

But what would be the point in utilising the RTX features of a GPU with fewer resources than a card that could already barely handle real-time ray-tracing at 1080p?

• Voldenuit
          • 1 year ago

Presumably developers can and will tone down effects for midrange cards, not to mention optimize titles. Showing off your tech for a new top-range GPU is different to coding for the mainstream.

• Aquilino
      • 1 year ago

> Now that I know only the 2080 and 2070 lines will have raytracing, I’m not even interested.

Would you rather have raytracing at 5 FPS?
      This new generation can’t handle raytracing, but hey, you can’t sell a small jump without gimmicks, amirite? And we all know what a 1080 Ti can and [url=http://youtu.be/WEK1XvwQNJ4?t=220<]can't do[/url<]. We will see next week.

• Leader952
      • 1 year ago

And you are wrong: Meet the RTX 2060 with 192 tensor cores and 24 raytracing acceleration cores:

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
      [url<]https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3310/geforce-rtx-2060[/url<]

• RoxasForTheWin
    • 1 year ago

Regardless of how they perform, those are some slick looking cards. Almost makes me want to get a windowed side panel and stare at it all day, almost

• ronch

Who’s Roxas?

• RoxasForTheWin
        • 1 year ago

A character from a video game. I’ve used the name everywhere for years now so It just kind of stuck for me

• EzioAs

[url=https://www.khwiki.com/nobody<]Nobody[/url<] 🙂

• layerup
    • 1 year ago

Not generally a huge fan of founders cards, but those back plates are pretty nice….

• CScottG

-yup.

I also like the front of their compute cards:

[url<]https://techreport.com/news/34091/nvidia-tesla-t4-brings-turing-smarts-to-ai-inferencing[/url<]

• ermo
      • 1 year ago

There’s a terrible dad joke hiding in that sentence somewhere, but it sucks that I blow at jokes.

• Krogoth