In the lab: Gigabyte’s GeForce RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G

Nvidia's Founders Edition RTX 2080 and RTX 2080 Ti cards were the first Turing cards to hit the doorstep at the TR labs, but our first taste of Gigabyte's custom touches on the RTX 2080 wasn't far behind.

The company has outfitted its RTX 2080 Gaming OC 8G with a beefy two-and-a-half-slot heatsink that moves cooling air using three fans.

Core and memory clocks on this pixel-pusher are still a mystery, but we can confidently say that if you want RGB LEDs to coordinate with the rest of your build or a more aggressive style than the dressed-to-impress Founders Edition cards, this Gigabyte card could be just the ticket.

Stay tuned for more coverage of Nvidia's latest and greatest graphics cards soon.

• DeadOfKnight
    • 1 year ago

I wonder if the middle fan in reverse will make a difference. It seems to make sense to do it that way. I guess we’ll have to wait to find out that as well.

• Bensam123
    • 1 year ago

Those look like the same crappy sleeve bearings they’ve been slapping on their models for years. I really hope not. Manufacturers really shouldn’t be putting sleeves on $1k~ video cards. Ball bearings at the very least.

• Waco
      • 1 year ago

Modern ceramic sleeve bearings are fine 99.9% of the time.

• 1 year ago

Wait, 99.9% of [i<]what[/i<] time? Age of the universe, or powered-on-hours? Seriously though, I've seen plenty of DBB fans seize up and die in the server rooms too. I think I'd be happier with FDB or maglev bearings, but ceramic sleeves are definitely better than they used to be, as long as gigabyte hasn't gone with the lowest bidder.

• Waco
          • 1 year ago

Percentage that pass their useful lifetime is what I meant. 🙂

• Bensam123
        • 1 year ago

Yeah, all the video cards I’m using and the rest of the mining community says otherwise. Not many hardware review websites or random people reading off a spreadsheet in theoretical bearing life test cards for 10s of thousands of hours.

Gigabyte fans are the worst and last about six months before the first fan usually goes bad. I’ve started buying replacement fans off of Aliexpress instead of RMAing them because it helps with uptime. Also there is nothing ceramic in the fans, having seen some of the fans literally fall apart.

Zotac is just as bad, Asus is also up there as well, however their sleeves last much longer. EVGA and MSI actually use ball bearings.

• Waco
          • 1 year ago

Okay. For those of us that don’t run the cards 24/7 maxed out, they’re fine. If you prefer better because you run your fans maxed out, don’t buy sleeve bearing fans.

• Bensam123
            • 1 year ago

They aren’t maxed out. If you’re implying that I set the fans manually to maximum, I don’t. It’s whatever they’re set for. They have good airflow.

Horrible fans breaking is something that happens more often under stress, but definitely will also manifest itself for normal users, although less frequently. It’s no different then buying fans for a case. Obviously you don’t want to buy sleeves. In this case though, they’re putting really crappy parts on really expensive cards and it really should stop. There are plenty of fans that don’t fail in six months operating at max RPMs, let alone presets lower then max RPMs.

• ronch
    • 1 year ago

Turing. Hmm. Hey guys, remember the Turion 64?

• ronch
    • 1 year ago

RTX just seems like Nvidia deliberately coined that branding to mock AMD.

• Krogoth
      • 1 year ago

It is entirely coincidental.

RTX is trying to play on “Ray-Tracing X” as being the future of 3D gaming graphics.

• DeadOfKnight
    • 1 year ago

Normally I’m not a big fan of the way Gigabyte cards look, but this is the best looking 3rd party cooler I’ve seen for Turing.

• Shobai
      • 1 year ago

As a point of reference, how many different 3rd party coolers for Turing cards have you seen?

• DeadOfKnight
        • 1 year ago

I’ve seen lineups pictured from ASUS, EVGA, MSI, PNY, Gigabyte, Zotac, that crazy-looking Galax HOF, and probably others.

Of course, the Founders Edition looks really nice too this time around. I’d like to see how they both perform.

• ozzuneoj
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Normally I'm not a big fan of the way Gigabyte cards look, but this is the best looking 3rd party cooler I've seen for Turing[/quote<] It's because they left out the fist-pumping eagle this time...

• DPete27
        • 1 year ago

Oh just wait. They’ll have Aorus cards also.

• Fonbu
    • 1 year ago

I wonder about the clocks. By observation, it still has a 6pin and 8pin power connector as the founders edition 2080. It might a be a bit higher clock. But I was expecting dual 8pins.

• DeadOfKnight
      • 1 year ago

Even 8+6 should be more than is required for this card. It’s a big chip, but a good portion will be powered down much of the time. I’m sure we’ll see an 8+8 extreme overclocking version eventually, but I doubt it’s going to go that far with air cooling.

• nanoflower
      • 1 year ago

From what I saw on some of YT breakdown videos all of the cards out today are based off the reference design. So having the same 6 pin/8 pin power connectors as the reference is to be expected. We should see custom designs in a week or two.