MyDigitalSSD M2X enclosure hooks up NVMe SSDs to USB 3.1 Gen 2

If you've built a PC in the last few years, you've probably come across the name MyDigitalSSD. If you haven't, the company sells a wide range of affordable SSDs in all sorts of form factors. Now, MyDigitalSSD is bringing high-performance storage outside of the PC with its M2X USB 3.1 Gen 2 M.2 SSD enclosure.

The idea here is simple: a small aluminum box with an M-key M.2 connector inside. You install your NVMe M.2 SSD—one up to 8 cm in length—and then hook up the enclosure to a USB port. The enclosure's own connection is a USB Type-C port, and it works when connected to anything from USB 2.0 all the way up to USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Thanks to USB-Attached SCSI Protocol (UASP) support, the M2X should offer high performance for externally-attached storage, even if it's not using Thunderbolt 3 like Samsung's Portable SSD X5. When connected to a USB 3.1 Gen 2 port, the M2X can offer full 10-Gbps connectivity to the SSD inside courtesy of a USB 3.1 Gen 2-to-PCIe 3.0 x2 bridge. Of course, MyDigitalSSD doesn't talk performance numbers, since actual speeds will depend on the drive you put in the M2X.

The enclosure is fully bus-powered, and its aluminum chassis acts as a heatsink for speedy SSDs. MyDigitalSSD includes foot-long cables in both USB Type-C and USB Type-A variants, as well as the necessary mounting screws to put your gumstick inside. The one catch is that the M2X only works with NVMe SSDs—not SATA drives. If you've got an NVMe SSD you need to hook up externally, the M2X is available now at Amazon for $40.

• mikewinddale
    • 1 year ago

Yes, finally! I have a laptop with only one M.2 slot and I’ve wanted to upgrade the NVMe SSD but I knew that cloning my drive would be difficult.

Whenever I upgrade a SATA drive, I just connect the new drive to a USB enclosure, clone, and then swap the two SATA drives. Now I can finally do the same with my NMVe drive! Yay!

• not@home
    • 1 year ago

Something like this would have been awesome when I was in tech school. I was running all of my VMs off of portable hard drives. This would have been much faster.

• Airmantharp

It’s about time!

You’ve been able to get SATA M.2 to USB3 adapters for a while, but NVMe M.2 to USB3 has been absent, and that’s been a bit frustrating.

Of course, it’d be nice if this were a universal adapter- could take SATA M.2 SSDs as well- but hey, it’s only US$40.

• mikepers
    • 1 year ago

I have an older 512GB nvme ssd sitting on my desk and this looks like a good way to put it to use. It’s not as fast as the current drives but should be plenty fast for some external storage that will usually be limited by being plugged into a type-A port…

Ordered one through the link so hopefully TR is getting the affiliate fee….

• DPete27
      • 1 year ago

I wonder, does the TR affiliate link have to be to a specific product, or could TR simply provide an affiliate link to Newegg proper and get affiliated with all product purchases during that browser session?
      I find it difficult to find a specific product link on TR from which to buy something, but if I could just click over to newegg under the TR umbrella, I’d do that all the time.

• roqz
    • 1 year ago

I just got a Silverstone PCIE to M.2 card, in order to clone a failing ADATA SX6000 to a WD Black NVME. The ADATA failed after 4 months… Got several read errors in the cloning procedure, but was able to pinpoint the files and restore from other sources.

Could have gotten something like this and keep the failing drive for a while, and then upgrade it to a faster/larger drive.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

Clearly this is for use as removable boot media, right? I can’t imagine that market is particularly large?

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

I have something similar, but my use is to clone smaller to larger M.2 drives, as M.2 is often my boot drive with a 2.5″ SSD as bulk storage.

• DPete27

Oh! Duh! Makes complete sense. Can’t believe I missed that application

• Goty
      • 1 year ago

A few of my coworkers and I like to run VMs off of external SSDs (mostly Samsung T3s) to do most of our work for the sake of having greater control over out work machines. I’d imagine that’s not an incredibly rare thing.

• Growler
    • 1 year ago

I’m holding out to see what MyAnalogSSD can deliver.

• albundy