Sony PlayStation Classic set to arrive with FF7 and Tekken 3 in tow

We bet that more than a few fine folks frequenting this fantastic site will probably be hit by a wave of nostalgia after reading this bit of news. Riding on the coattails of Nintendo, Sega, and Atari, Sony's set to release the PlayStation Classic, a minified take on the much-loved original PlayStation console, all ready to go with preloaded games.

Sony says the included game lineup includes Final Fantasy VII, Tekken 3 (yes!), Ridge Racer Type 4, Wild Arms, and Jumping Flash. The company says the full list will be revealed later, but that a total of 20 titles will be included with the console. The Classic is 45% smaller than the original PlayStation and comes with two controllers—just the ticket for those Tekken 3 beat-downs. Remember, no Eddy! On that note, I really hope Sony implemented save points somehow. As much as loved Final Fantasy VII, it's a horrible slog without them.

It doesn't look like fans will be able to play their existing CD titles, though, as the "Open" button atop the console is apparently meant for "changing virtual CDs," and the Classic's diminutive dimensions preclude room for silver discs. There's also no word on if or how gamers will be able to get a hold of additional games. The console comes with an HDMI output cable and a USB power cable. The unit itself is powered via USB, so people can run it off any USB port or charger as long as it's capable of delivering 1 A of current. No power adapter is included.

Retro-gamers can get their hands on the PlayStation Classic for $100 (or 100€ in Europe) when it arrives on December 3, a day that will mark the 24th anniversary of the original PlayStation in Japan. Stateside preorders are already available at Walmart, Best Buy, and Gamestop.

• psuedonymous
    • 1 year ago

Like the NES and SNES mini’s it’ll get hacked by the register-poking crowd in short order, and a PS1-on-a-chip will be a huge boon for the portable console hacker crowd (anyone remember Ben Heck’s ‘PSP’?) .
    Whether it’s worth it for just a plug-into-the-TV-and-play alternative depends on how it handles scaling. The Shield TV (comparable in cost) can handle PS1 emulation with standard scaling without breaking a sweat, and for most titles handle [url=https://docs.libretro.com/shader/crt/<]CRT-type scaling[/url<]. Poly 3D titles gain some benefit from CRT shading, but for sprite-based titles I wouldn't bother playing without it anymore.

• hungarianhc
      • 1 year ago

Maybe – I don’t know if the community will be as excited about this one. It costs more than the NES / SNES did. Also, ROM sizes for PS1 games are MUCH bigger than NES / SNES games. It will be interesting to see how much internal memory Sony gives them.

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

I’m not going to overpay for dedicated hardware to hog another HDMI slot just to rebuy games that I already own. Release a dedicated emulator with DRM on Steam and I’ll buy. Otherwise, I have no ethical qualms with emulating games that I already own on dead platforms.

• OptimumSlinky
    • 1 year ago

The PS1 really did have a great overall design. Truly classic.

• ronch

Pepsi Man, please!! ^_^

• Ninjitsu
    • 1 year ago

I too have fond memories of Tekken 3! Looking forward to picking up T7 on Steam, sooner or later.

• 1 year ago

I’m pretty much over these retro-releases coming with wired controllers. It would be cool if Sony did this as more than just a straight copy of Nintendo, and made more games available via some sort of classics store. But then again, I basically own all the PS1 Classics I can stand on PS3.

Also, Jumping Flash is a horse shit game. Fight me.

• Voldenuit
    • 1 year ago

PS1 era 3D grafx don’t hold up as well as classic 8-bit and 16-bit bitmap graphics do, at least to my nostalgic senses.

• drfish

Bingo!

• plonk420
      • 1 year ago

eh, i had plenty of fun replaying Parasite Eve several times (to be able to beat the Chrysler Building) recently

• dashbarron

You said it well.

I’m not a big fan of the… Japense style anime(?) that’s present in FF7.

Plus I hate turn-based RPGs.

Tried FF3 a few times and I just can’t do it.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

but why? we all essentially ditched these consoles for a reason. it wasn’t because they stopped being able to play those same games we already beat. I don’t understand this [i<] at all. [/i<] It seems like the most mindless consumerism going.

• Krogoth
      • 1 year ago

PS1 emulation is pretty effortless on modern PCs provided you have the boot ROM.

• the
        • 1 year ago

PS1 emulation could be done on the Dreamcast.

• ronch
        • 1 year ago

Wish the same is true for Saturn emulation. Not that there are as many great Saturn titles, however. And the sheer complexity of the Saturn makes emulating it a pain.

• 1 year ago

Fortunately, most of the Saturn titles I’m interested in have been re-released on other systems. Unfortunately, Shining Force 3 is one of the exceptions, and it’s a very fine game. Would love it if Sega just ported it to PC or current-gen consoles and localized scenarios 2 and 3 while they’re at it.

• Wonders
      • 1 year ago

Ah, but the answer is simple, and has never been phrased more concisely than in the sequel to Trainspotting, when Sickboy said:
      [quote<]You're a tourist in your own youth.[/quote<] The travel industry is worth over $7B annually. Sony et al. are simply marketing low-tech time machines, in order to scrape out a small piece of that pie.

• elites2012
      • 1 year ago

cause nintendo did it and it took off. everyone wants a slice of the pie.

• ronch
      • 1 year ago

I get the nostalgia but I don’t get why they need to shrink it. Just ruins the nostalgia feeling for me. Give me an almost-exact replica and then I’ll feel like it’s ’95 again. Just put in some little differences to differentiate the reissue from the original to help collectors of the originals not get bamboozled.

• Kretschmer
        • 1 year ago

Edit: Wrong comment chain.

• designerfx
          • 1 year ago

some people don’t want to build a $30 raspberry pi to play (every platform) and would rather apparently pay (hundreds of dollars). I understand it, but dang are people terrible at math.

• Usacomp2k3
        • 1 year ago

We bought the NES classic and it is fantastic for road trips. the travel case is maybe 6″x6″x3″ and that includes the console, HDMI cable, power cable, 2 controllers and 2 extension cables. Setting it up in the hotel room and the kids were greatly entertained. The size really helped with that.

• Kretschmer
        • 1 year ago

It’s a lot to ask buyers to take up a full slot in their entertainment center to play a handful of PS1 games.

• Lane
        • 1 year ago

Cheaper to ship and stock.

• End User
      • 1 year ago

You are so right. I ‘m selling all my personal belongings and donating the proceeds to third world causes. Let’s make a difference people!

• travbrad
      • 1 year ago

I play some “old” games myself, but I still don’t like this whole buying the same game over and over idea. At least some of those HD remasters of games gave you something new. PSX games haven’t aged nearly as well as the generation before that either because we went from pretty good 2D graphics to very rudimentary 3D graphics.

Rebuying the console isn’t great either especially considering PS3s are like $70 used now.

• fredsnotdead
        • 1 year ago

this whole buying the same game over and over idea

Maybe they learned from Disney, releasing the same movies every 7 years?

• Krogoth
    • 1 year ago

Spoiler: [spoiler<]Aeris[/spoiler<] dies (Phoenix Down or Life1/Life2 doesn't work) #FF7Overrated

• 1 year ago

Eat shit, that was the most hair-raising experience I’d had via a video game in my young life to that point.

• Krogoth
        • 1 year ago

To be honest, it was rather cliched and foreshadowed to death.

FF7 was fun, but pales in comparison to some earlier and later iterations of the franchise.

• 1 year ago

I agree that FF6 was better, but 20 years ago I did not see it coming. You can’t refute my experience to me directly, just because you don’t like it.

• Krogoth
            • 1 year ago

Saw it coming as soon as you first visit Gongaga and later the “date” ride with her. They threw a ton of red flags.

Bloody hell, it would have been foreshadowed with her intended romanized name “Aerith” not the nonsensical “Aeris”.

• 1 year ago

I went on the date with Tifa. I liked her shorty shorts.

• anotherengineer

You play ChronoTrigger on the SNES back in the day? Also better than FF7 😉

• 1 year ago

Not a Final Fantasy game, but you’re not wrong. Chrono Trigger is excellent.

• jihadjoe

So much replayability!

• thill9

PS1 wishlist: FF Tactics, Gran Turismo, Twisted Metal, Wipeout

• Takeshi7
      • 1 year ago

No DualShock controllers make me really question the viability of some of those titles. I imagine it will be limited to games from earlier in the PS1’s lifespan.

• jihadjoe
        • 1 year ago

You mean Dual Analog controllers. Dualshock was introduced with the PS2.

• psuedonymous
          • 1 year ago

False, Dual Shock was introduced on the PS1.
          Dual Analog received a very small distribution (less than an a year in total), with mere months separating the first shipments outside of Japan of the Dual Analog, and the first shipments of the Dual Shock.

• 1 year ago

FFT would be great for sure, but Square Enix sells the mobile version for $20 all on its own (which is ridiculous, I know). Those racing games all need analog controls.

• not@home
      • 1 year ago

IDK if I ever played the first Twisted Metal, but Twisted Metal II was what my friends and I played just about every day. That or Armored Core, but mostly Twisted Metal II.

• DancinJack
    • 1 year ago

If it doesn’t have THPS 1 or 2, then it’s trash.

• 1 year ago

THPS was best on the Dreamcast. The PC port of THPS2 is pretty good, but the Dreamcast version was the first I played. Going backwards was never an option for me.

• DancinJack
        • 1 year ago

Never owned a Dreamcast :/.

We were a Nintendo family (NES/SNES/64/Cube) then the PS1 and Xbox OG were closer to the teenage years for me so we kinda had to buy them on our own at that point. We went with PS1 and got THPS 1 with it. We didn’t even get the OG Xbox in our house until like, late 2003? I was SUPER late to the Xbox party.

• 1 year ago

The OG Xbox wasn’t around for very long. Shipped in 2001, retired in 2005. It’s probably my favorite non-Sega console of all time. It also had a nice port of THPS2 called THPS2X, and it included some of the levels from the original game along with everything from the second.

• DragonDaddyBear
    • 1 year ago

I’m done with these re-released consoles for nostalgia. I’m tired of buying games more than once. They need a better way of managing this.

• not@home