Thursday deals: a Ryzen 7 2700 for $220, an ultra-cheap NVMe SSD, and more

Uh, hi, folks. I'm currently hating hard on life since I am the recipient of a massive truckload of flu symptoms. I feel I've been hit with said truck, and it's taking everything in my power to not keel over. Only the sustenance of PC hardware deals is keeping me alive. It's almost as if collecting them is my purpose in life. Take a look at what we have in store today.

• Our leading deal today is a smokin' hot one—the AMD Ryzen 7 2700 processor. While back in our review we thought it a shade too expensive, that's not a problem today. You see, you can currently get your hands on its eight cores, sixteen threads, and 4.1-GHz boost clock for a square $220 at Amazon. That's a seriously sharp drop from the $300 this processor usually commands. Get it while it's hot.

• NVMe SSDs are hot commodities today, and the one we have on display here is the Adata XPG SX8200 960-GB drive. The 480-GB version of this unit got a TR Recommended award, and its bigger cousin is specced to hit 3200 MB/s in sequential reads and 1700 MB/s while doing writes.  Rakuten will hand you this drive for just $209.99 and will also give you 20% back in points worth as many dollars in a subsequent purchase. That means you can effectively get $42 back if you then order something else, making the final tally an absurd $167.99, or 17.5 cents per NVMe gigabyte. Dayum.

• If I didn't have deals to write up, I would probably be typing up a poem about cheap RAM. You may remember the item in the picture from last week, but let me refresh your memory: it's a 16-GB kit of Team Group T-Force Vulcan DIMMs clocked at 3000 MT/s. The reason why it's in a deals post again is simple enough. It's selling for just $124.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCPYRW39.

• Nvidia's RTX power play into the graphics cards market means that there's currently a lot of price reshuffling going on. That, my good folks, means that you can currently get a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB dual-fan card for just $249.99 from Newegg. Remember when these went for over $300 just a little while back?

• A meaty graphics card isn't worth much without the accompanying display, and we have two big ones today. The first is the Alienware AW3418DW. This gorgeous 34" ultra-wide monitor uses an IPS panel with a nominal 100-Hz refresh rate (or 120 Hz when overclocked) and has support for G-Sync adaptive refresh rate tech. The panel should be capable of reproducing 99% of the sRGB color space. Additional amenities include RGB LED lighting on the display and stand, a USB hub, and height adjustment. Get this slab o' pixels for $829.99 from Best Buy.

• If you'd like a slightly different take on the concept above, try the Acer Predator Z35P. This 3440×1440 monitor measures 35" across and uses a VA panel with a maximum refresh rate of 100 Hz and G-Sync support. There's a pair of 18-W speakers built in, and the included stand offers height and tilt adjustments. You can have this display for $699.99 from Amazon.

• Last but by no means least, Amazon is running a pretty big sale on PC gaming hardware. Juicy items include a selection of Acer monitors, system components, and a fair share of fancy peripherals. If something catches your eye, go right ahead. Judging from a quick look, pretty much every price tag in there is appetizing.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 1 year ago

AMD Rome is 64 cores. Zen 2 should therefore have 8 core ccx modules for 16 cores on main steam desktop. Buying today will only result in regret unless you need to buy something now.

• 1 year ago

That’s almost always true, though. If you need it today, you need it today. If you can wait, you should wait.

• ptsant
      • 1 year ago

Zen+ is quite mature and, honestly, unless you’re doing something pretty intense 8 cores is already a lot. I’m doing bioinformatics and for day to day work the 1700X is more than enough (otherwise I would have bought the ripper).

• Kretschmer
    • 1 year ago

That Z35P suffers from a case of high response times. It’s not a deal at that price.

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

What do you mean? It’s usually $800-ish.

• tay
        • 1 year ago

I think they mean that it smears because (surprise!) the VA panel cannot keep up with the refresh rates.

• Kretschmer
          • 1 year ago

This. You’d be better off with an IPS panel on sale. Like that gorgeous alienware for $130 more.

Hell, if I had an easy way to sell my X34 I’d buy that alienware…

• Voldenuit
            • 1 year ago

I have the Alienware and it’s quite nice. Have had no issues running it at 120 Hz as a daily driver.

Once you go ultrawide, it’s hard to go back. The sad part is that more indie titles support 21:9 than AAAs.

• morphine
          • 1 year ago

That’s what overdrive is for, really. Even IPS panels “suffer” from that, it’s just a fact of life. I own a XF270HU (IPS), and I need overdrive on so that it doesn’t noticeably smear.

• DancinJack
    • 1 year ago

FYI: 15 percent off tech purchase on eBay today : [url<]https://pages.ebay.com/promo/2018/0927/69157.html[/url<] (read the details though)

• cynan
      • 1 year ago

These are great. max $100 off Means that you get max value if you buy something around $667. I used one in July to buy a brand new 128GB Galaxy S9 Plus for $589, including shipping.

• enixenigma
    • 1 year ago

That Ryzen 7 2700 deal is tempting. I’m on a 1700X now, but I wouldn’t mind the extra clock and lower latency for gaming. Now I just need to convince the wife that it is needed…

• jdevers
      • 1 year ago

You don’t think the maybe 2 frame per second advantage in low resolution is enough of a selling point that she will just order one right up for you? Haha

• Kretschmer
        • 1 year ago

Did you…did you read the reviews? The 1700X is a dog* and the 2700 is competent in games.

*Yes, my comment is predicated on having a high-refresh-rate monitor. Those at 60Hz can safely skip this comment.

• Goty
          • 1 year ago

The 1700X isn’t really that bad compared to the 2700 in gaming (the extra 100 MHz from XFR seems to help quite a bit), but you actually need to look at TWO reviews and do a little bit of math to extrapolate the 1700X results out to the tests done in the 2700 review since the 1700X wasn’t tested against the 2700 and the test runs in the two reviews appear to be different.

That being said, there are some real gains there, but maybe not enough to warrant upgrading. Maybe to the 2700X if you can find it on sale, but not the 2700, at least in my opinion.

• enixenigma
            • 1 year ago

So you don’t think that overclocking could bridge the gap between the 2700 and the 2700X any?

• Goty
            • 1 year ago

Sure, but I think you can also get most of that performance out of the 1700X with enough effort.

• enixenigma
            • 1 year ago

Fair enough. I guess I’ll wait and see what Zen 2 brings to the table. Thanks for the input.

• enixenigma

Tough crowd, lol.

Obviously I don’t need to upgrade. With my comically-unbalanced setup (1080p 144hz monitor, 1700X, 16GB 3200MT/s RAM, Vega 64) the additional IPC and better memory controller would buy me a bit more performance. Would I be better off getting a better monitor? Sure, but I’m on a budget πŸ™‚

• camelNotation
          • 1 year ago

Your system seems quite balanced, with the only small concern being the 144hz monitor matched with a Ryzen CPU. At the same time there doesn’t seem to be way to improve it significantly without spending lots of $$$. Maybe when much better hardware comes out, you can upgrade.

Definitely don’t buy the 2700 as an “upgrade” to the 1700x.

• MOSFET
          • 1 year ago

[quote<]Would I be better off getting a better monitor? Sure[/quote<] If you end the quote in the right place, you have your answer. πŸ™‚