In the lab: Windows 10 October 2018 update

Howdy, folks! There's a chance you noticed that a feature update to Windows 10 is downloading to your machine. Yesterday, Microsoft pulled a fast one and announced the Windows 10 October 2018 Update along with its Surface Pro 6, Surface Laptop 2, and Surface Studio 2 machines.

To be clear, the world knew that the October Update was coming, but there was no fixed release set so far, and Microsoft tends to release updates on the second Tuesday of each month. At any rate, the new build is here, and we're taking it through its paces in the TR labs.

Off the bat, the fancy Your Phone feature looks pretty interesting and could potentially put an end to needless computer-and-phone juggling. My eyes have to deal with screens all day long, so I'm pretty happy to see that Explorer finally has a dark theme. Oh, and did I mention that Notepad, of all things, has seen some serious improvements?

Anyway, we'll take a look at all the new goodness in an upcoming review. The full list of changes is pretty long, so there's a good chance that something in the Windows October 2018 Update will tickle your fancy.

• Mat3
    • 1 year ago

Seems like there are a few reports of deleted files from My Documents with this update?

• oldog
    • 1 year ago

Sorta off topic… but are any of you folks worried about Linux now that Linus has gone into self imposed exile?

• ermo

2 Reasons:

– Linux has said he REALLY wants to come back once he’s had some time to reflect, so he will. I simply don’t see him being able to stay away from Linux.
      – Greg Kroah-Hartmann has been maintaining LTS kernels for *years*.

Then there’s the question of whether the recent developments will change Linux in any appreciable way. IF it does, THEN my guess is that it’ll be for the better.

• DoomGuy64
      • 1 year ago

Linus leaving isn’t what you should be worried about. You should be worried about what caused him to leave, the CoC, and other developers threatening to pull the linux “kill switch” over the CoC.

[url<]https://lulz.com/linux-devs-threaten-killswitch-coc-controversy-1252/[/url<]

• oldog
        • 1 year ago

I was alluding to this development. Does Linux survive a political assault?

• DoomGuy64
          • 1 year ago

Maybe? However, when the problem is big enough to affect Linus and requires a kill switch threat to pause, it’s gotten too big to easily fix. I’ve also heard that some of this assault is coming from places like Microsoft, and that’s pretty bad considering how much Microsoft has entrenched itself. You also have groups trying to remove the meritocracy aspect of linux, which means if any of this gets worse, kill switch or not, linux’s quality will drop. I don’t see an easy resolution anytime soon. Best case scenario is complete removal of the disruptive elements (doubtful), you also could have the community split to re-organize, and worst case the disruptors take over and mainstream linux becomes unstable. Even under the worst case, linux won’t easily die off, but it will be a problem. The biggest problem is lack of a plan outside of threats. The kill switch threat will slow the disruption, but it ultimately doesn’t resolve anything either.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

I hope you guys get a decent reviewer this time.

• EzioAs
    • 1 year ago

The only problem I’ve had with this update is that Task Manager seems to report false per-process CPU usage. Anyone else have this issue?

• Tumbleweed
      • 1 year ago

I’m seeing ridiculously high (and false) memory usage. Very weird.

• daniel123456
      • 1 year ago

Same here. On my machine it seems Chrome’s CPU usage isn’t being recorded properly?
      CPU usage values reported by Chrome’s task manager > Windows task manager.
      Will investigate further when there’s time… Hopefully I don’t have malware. ugh.

• sweatshopking
        • 1 year ago

You don’t, it’s a known bug, fix coming Tuesday for those affected.

• barich
          • 1 year ago

I was rather surprised that they didn’t have a day-one cumulative update ready to go to fix this.

• daniel123456
          • 1 year ago

Thanks for the update. That’s a relief!

• MOSFET
      • 1 year ago

I’ve also seen this in test VMs that upgraded early and in Inside Preview editions. I hope SSK is right about the fix coming soon.

• 1 year ago

No exaggeration, I have spent 16+ hours so far this week fixing issues with account security policies in W10 Enterprise N 1803, domain membership screwups and activation hiccups only to discover that stuff which has NOTHING to do with Windows Media Player is disabled and requires a different edition of Windows 10.

Sorry, but Microsoft still hasn’t made a functional enterprise-friendly version of Windows 10. LTSB is close but that’s not really viable, long-term.

• captaintrav
      • 1 year ago

We have issues with drives randomly not mapping and/or disappearing, bluescreens caused by Virtualization based security which Microsoft can reproduce, and is “working on a fix” for but no ETA, random loss of domain connectivity, random print subsystem crashes with Enterprise 1709.

A new one we’ve seen lately, upon restarting the PC, it will sit on a screen just saying “restarting” for a very long time. Upon investigation it was found it was working on applying updates but the graphical notification that was happening, didn’t, well, happen.

With the pace of change I’m not particularly hopeful newer versions will be much more stable. On top of that, from an Enterprise point of view it doesn’t feel like there’s much “new and improved” from Windows 7 Enterprise to 10, it just feels like a make work project to retire Windows 7

• 1 year ago

Well, Notepad won’t replace Notepad++ for me, but my goodness some of that stuff is needed.

[quote<]Notepad now features Unix/Linus line endings (LF) and Macintosh line endings (CR.) Wrap-around find/replace now available in Notepad. You can now zoom in to text in Notepad. Line numbers now work with word-wrap. You can now right-click and "Search with Bing" text highlighted in Notepad.[/quote<] That last one is kinda meh, but the first four were pretty glaring issues. And instead of adding right-click -> search to apps, add it at an OS level as a service avaialble to all apps. It needs to open the default browser when it's selected and give me a choice of search engines. Then I might care.

• DancinJack
      • 1 year ago

Yeah, Notepad just can’t compete with TextPad/Notepad++ but it’s a step in the right direction.

I actually use a combination of Sublime Text and a few others depending on the OS i’m using, but hoooooooo boy I can’t even remember the last time I used Notepad. Maybe that will change someday soon.

• Star Brood
    • 1 year ago

My dudes, I just want them to remove Airplane Mode. I figured out how to stop Windows from downloading that shit without my permission, so I’m good there.

• Voldenuit
    • 1 year ago

So… in other words, everyone disable Windows Update until MS gets the kinks worked out of 1809?

• Neutronbeam

By the year 9081?

• Redocbew
      • 1 year ago

And get your powershell scripts ready for when it re-crapifies the system by turning back on everything you’ve turned off.

• Voldenuit
        • 1 year ago

No joke, I had to turn to powershell when FCU (1709) got stuck on its install and corrupted the update cache files.

• 1 year ago

Windows is unusable without Powershell.
          My list of powershell scripts that need to be run to fix inherent problems in Windows 10 keeps growing 🙁

I think the last time I was happy with a Microsoft release was Win98 Lite.
          Oh wait, that wasn’t Microsoft. Microsoft have spent 20 years adding crap that the EU court of law deems to be illegal.

• Aquilino
      • 1 year ago

Yep. That should be the usual 3 to 6 months.
      But anyone can be my guest and betatest for Microsoft.

• NTMBK
    • 1 year ago

“In the lab (whether we wanted it there or not)”

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Official [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWPBr4L1eyE<]October[/url<] release video here.

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

If you can guarantee the following, I may start checking your YouTube links.

1) Always SFW
      2) Never gonna be a Rickroll
      3) Not outrageously loud

I feel like I’m missing out, but I’m also scared. Like, closing-my-eyes-and-holding-out-my-hand, scared.

• chuckula
        • 1 year ago

It’s just the introduction to the Hunt for Red October.

If that’s not SFW, then you need a better job!

• drfish
          • 1 year ago

Nice, and on my list to rewatch soon anyway. Still, every link makes me a bit anxious. o_0

• chuckula
            • 1 year ago

Don’t worry, I always post a warning if it’s too over the top (and I usually don’t go too over the top to begin with).

• OptimumSlinky
          • 1 year ago

One of my all-time favorite movies… Take your upvote.

• odizzido

Hunt for Red October Opening Scene

• DoomGuy64
        • 1 year ago

There’s a script called youtube link title. Helps to know what you’re clicking.

• Voldenuit
        • 1 year ago

Are you suggesting that chuckula might ever:

1) Give you up.
        2) Let you down.
        3) Run around and
        4) Desert you?

• drfish

That’s how he rolls.

• ermo
            • 1 year ago

You could say that he has a somewhat rickety track record.

• BIF
          • 1 year ago

All it takes is one stupid link and I’m done forever with that person’s links. Even if I’m at home. Don’t rickroll me and don’t send me any uglyhead memes. I hate those. I have downvotes and I’ll use them, dammit!

• K-L-Waster
            • 1 year ago

Chuck does not fear the downvote. (I think that’s been demonstrated time and again…)

• Krogoth
      • 1 year ago

Chris Capossela with a cheesy Scottish-accent: Activate the “Shilling Drive”!

• odizzido
    • 1 year ago

The only things that would tickle my fancy are

Complete control over updates
    Reimplementation of live boot drive mirroring
    Removal of Microsoft ads

Oh, none of those made it? Then all I can hope for is that it doesn’t break anything.

• Ryhadar
      • 1 year ago

You can achieve the first one with Windows 10 pro, gpedit to set windows to notify of updates (but don’t Auto install), and windoes 10 update troubleshooter (to remove certain updates like feature upgrades).

I was on 1709 (?) Up until a few weeks ago using this approach.

It’s not the traditional way, but it can be done.

*Edit* – By the way, for anyone attempting this using the update troubleshooter doesn’t always immediately take effect. For example, if you hide an update and right away go to install updates it will probably install the one you just hid. You can force a recheck by clearing the windows update cache (which I can never remember how to do), or you can just wait for Windows to automatically check for updates again and the hidden update will be gone. The latter is what I usually do.

• K-L-Waster
      • 1 year ago

[quote<]Then all I can hope for is that it doesn't break anything.[/quote<] Ahhh, optimism. Been so long...

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

Downloaded last night and was reviewing all my update setting–all of them. the Update section has a lot of settings to defer, schedule, block, etc., updates. You have to go to several screens, but the options are pretty extensive. What don’t you see there…the option to never update until the heat death of the universe?

• nanoflower
        • 1 year ago

You can achieve that last option by turning off the computer and never turning it on again. That or unplugging from the Internet. You are welcome. 😉

• odizzido
          • 1 year ago

Or not using W10. I really hope that I can move from W7 to steamOS, if valve can put enough work into it to get games to run well.

• DancinJack

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhhaa

• RAGEPRO
            • 1 year ago

I dunno man. I had your same reaction not so long ago, but things have gotten pretty slick these days. You can run full-on Windows (DX11) AAA games on SteamOS now. You should check it out.

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

I mean, that’s great and all, but AFAIK SteamOS currently only supports 720 and 1080p up to 60 FPS. Come back to me when you can actually run things at settings you’d like. If that’s changed, that’s great, but I’ll stick to Windows for gaming for now regardless.

Btw, it says this on the landing page for SteamOS – “Users should not consider SteamOS as a replacement for their desktop operating system. SteamOS is being designed and optimized for the living room experience.” – And I’m sure you can standard linux applications because of the underlying nature of SteamOS, but good luck with getting actual support or updates for that kind of stuff.

So I guess y’all can keep hoping against hope, but I’m not holding my breath.

• auxy
            • 1 year ago

Haha. What? (;・∀・) The 1080p60 limitation is for streaming, not local gameplay…

It’s literally just Debian with Steam and Proton preinstalled. There’s nothing special about SteamOS. It uses Gnome and APT like most Debian setups… (・_・;)

I am not as enthusiastic about SteamOS as my friends (including Zak) mostly because I don’t plan to get a Turing GPU anytime soon. 1607 still working fine here! (=^・^=)

• DancinJack
            • 1 year ago

Like I said above, if that wasn’t the case, that’s great!

It’s still not even close to a viable alternative to Windows gaming, and likely won’t be for a long time, if ever. Let alone a desktop alternative to Windows.

I know what it’s based on and the package manager it uses. That isn’t really my issue. It’s just not meant to be a desktop OS for anything other than “living room gaming.” Valve even says so! If you want to have to jigger with every part of the OS to get things working, beyond even what a standard Ubuntu/Debian/Mint install requires (which admittedly isn’t much these days), then have at it! I just don’t think it’s an even remotely viable alternative, in my case, and likely in may other users’ cases.

• Neutronbeam
          • 1 year ago

THIS is why I stand back and don’t shoot when a goon is rage attacking you in Borderlands 2. 😉

• odizzido
        • 1 year ago

yes, I would like the option to not update until, at minimum, the heat death of the (observable) universe. Just like pretty much every OS.

• TheRazorsEdge
        • 1 year ago

You can still disable the Windows Update service in 1709 and 1803, so I don’t know what more you want.

Windows can’t even download a list of available updates when the service is disabled.

• Voldenuit
          • 1 year ago

The problem is I would like to keep getting security updates, but would rather not be forced into a feature update that [url=https://mspoweruser.com/some-users-are-complaining-the-windows-10-october-2018-update-is-deleting-their-files/<]deletes my personal and work files[/url<]. I dunno... maybe a system like, say, Win 9X/NT/7 where the user gets to pick and choose updates?

• kvndoom
            • 1 year ago

No kidding! What’s so hard about giving the option via Control Panel to have updates downloaded automatically but installed at the users’ discretion?

People who don’t tweak will never change the default of auto install, while those more involved with their OS will let someone else be the guinea pig.

I think the main thing I hate about Windows 10 (aside from the hideous UI) is the lack of options that were once there. I swear Microsoft must have used tomato plants for their focus groups in order to keep negative feedback to a minimum.

• meerkt
      • 1 year ago

– A GUI that’s not flat, features color, more contrast, non-oversized fonts, much less spacing.