Razer Sila router slithers into view with mesh networking capability

Not content with making green-on-black mice, keyboards, headsets, and random sundries, Razer is turning its fangs towards home networking. The company's let the sleek-looking Razer Sila router out of its cage, all set with mesh networking capability and a gazillion antennas.

The Razer Sila has a total of nine antennas, three Ethernet ports for devices, and supports 802.11ac Wi-Fi at speeds up to 1734 Mbps. The router supports the whole shebang of recent Wi-Fi features including MU-MIMO, beam-forming, and band steering. Just in case those nine antennas aren't enough for covering the entirety of your abode in wireless signal goodness, you can create a mesh network with additional Silas that connect using a dedicated backhaul.

Razer touts the Sila's FasTrack QoS functionality and says it uses deep packet inspection (DPI) and "adaptive learning" to do its thing. FasTrack should automatically detect traffic from PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch consoles and can be further configured with the Sila's companion phone app.

The Razer Sila should be available today for $250 in the 'States and 300€ in Europe, though it's currently not showing up at e-tail and it's still listed as out of stock at Razer's site. We expect that it'll be available for order soon.

• DPete27
    • 1 year ago

$250 for an AC 1750 router. Um….pass.

Also, why are routers so expensive these days? I got my TP-Link AC2600 for $80 and it has MU-MIMO, beamforming, etc.

• EndlessWaves
      • 1 year ago

This has a 4 stream wi-fi access point (AC2350/AC2600, 1733Mbps@5Gghz) rather than a 3 stream one (AC1600/AC1750/AC1900, 1200Mbps@5Ghz).

The price could be better hardware, cheap routers often collapse under any sort of load more demanding than sharing an internet connection.

• highlandr
    • 1 year ago

All that extra space, yet they couldn’t find the ability to put more than 3 LAN ports on it…

• Airmantharp
      • 1 year ago

Having a stack of devices where your WAN connection enters is pretty rare these days for domiciles, and unmanaged gigabit switches are pretty cheap. I can see why they went with fewer for their introductory product.

But I do agree that a parallel release with more ports, as well as one with 10Gbit ports as I mentioned earlier, would be helpful in pushing their products to their intended audience!

• astrotech66
      • 1 year ago

That was my first thought, too. I’ve got four ethernet cables that connect to different rooms in my house, plus the device that connects to my solar panels, plus the DirecTV device. I know I could use a switch, but having eight ports on my router is nice.

• christos_thski
    • 1 year ago

By the way I was wondering why on earth we have more wifi problems on our comparatively tiny houses in Greece (average house -well, most live in appartments- size in here is 940 square feet, in America it’s about 2100-2400?) and then the medicane cyclone hit us… and no houses were blown off the map.

Concrete structures and reinforced brick walls as opposed to wood. That’s got to be it, right?

My girlfriend’s appartment is just 1000 square feet and the router can’t even reach the far side bedroom, either on the 2,4ghz or the 5ghz band ; we need a repeater or mesh wifi for it…

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

Who needs wifi when you have a majestic, imposing concrete domicile? #1 thing I miss about my childhood is definitely the safety and comfort of growing up in a house made entirely out of experimental concrete. Pity that most real estate developers don’t understand what a real house should be like.

(and yes, that would totally do it–old military and government buildings with concrete walls are notorious for that kind of thing)

• christos_thski
    • 1 year ago

Don’t they already sell a router with mesh wifi support, at half the price, too?

[url<]https://www.razer.com/gaming-accessories/portal[/url<] What's the difference with this one that merits 2x the price? (not a rhetorical question, I'm really wondering).

• LostCat
      • 1 year ago

Most likely, those don’t have any special gaming QoS handling or the RAM+CPU of the higher end boxes.

I’ve got enough routers already or I’d dig one of these.

• Airmantharp
    • 1 year ago

Two things: Razer needs to get real open real fast about their firmware patching and security regimen, and they need to announce a product with 4+ 10Gbase-T ports as a follow-up.

Oh, and WPA3 support.

• DeadOfKnight
      • 1 year ago

They need to fix Synapse. Until they do, I will never buy another Razer product.

• Airmantharp
        • 1 year ago

I haven’t had problems with it?

Granted I’ve only used it for their surround HRTF mixer from 7.1 to stereo headphones, which I used because it allowed inline EQ at the same time.

• NovusBogus
        • 1 year ago

I want to like Razer for a lot of reasons, but always-on Synapse is what keeps me away. The most frustrating part is that they were one of if not the very first one to advance peripheral technology by giving them onboard smarts, before inexplicably regressing back to dumb devices with a questionable PC software layer. Thanks but no, I can get a real ARM with real onboard memory for configuration settings from a number of other vendors these days.

• 1 year ago

They do make interesting and innovative products, but they seem to be unable to do so without also crapping all over their customers in one or more ways at the same time.

• cmrcmk
          • 1 year ago

And then Windows 10 steps in and thinks “this bloatware is part of the driver! I better install it for my dumb user.”

• Usacomp2k3
    • 1 year ago

I wonder if those antennas have beam steering. Weird that they are internal.

• Airmantharp
      • 1 year ago

A lot of pro-sumer and SOHO stuff is all internal too.

I quite like the design myself…

• Neutronbeam
    • 1 year ago

Do you think they will ever start making razors?

EDIT: “razer” corrected to “razor”

• morphine
      • 1 year ago

Well, they already make Blades, so…

• aspect
        • 1 year ago

And with those RMA rates they are practically disposable.

• morphine

Har! Have some upvotes.

• 1 year ago

POW! Right in the kisser…

• 1 year ago

You can shave with Razer razors while riding your Razor scooter.

• NTMBK
    • 1 year ago

So, who did Razer license their brand to? Is there actually a decent router under there?

• DancinJack
      • 1 year ago

Everyone uses the same chips mostly. There are p much two chipsets plus amps.

• 1 year ago

Router quality is all down to the firmware/software – Razer’s most divisive and hated USP.

As you say, there aren’t really that many chips, which is why DDWRT has been the saving grace of many a crap router.

• UberGerbil
    • 1 year ago

Put some black electrical tape over the logo on the top and that’s a professional looking piece of equipment, at least compared to all the consumer routers that are trying to masquerade as spider-mecha or take their styling cues from Klingon melee combat weapons.

• Pulsar_the_Spacenerd
      • 1 year ago

They’ve been doing that with their laptops too recently. It is almost a shame that the Blade Stealth has their logo on it, as otherwise it is a pretty good and professional laptop. I would not be entirely surprised if they eventually made a secondary “professional” brand.

• NovusBogus
        • 1 year ago

Razer has always been pretty good about not overdoing it in that regard.

• jdevers
      • 1 year ago

Probably a quick disconnect and without the LED lit you would never notice the logo…

• not@home
    • 1 year ago

At least it does not look like it would cut me if I brushed up against it.

• drfish

Weak.

• Redocbew

Cowardly.

Nope.

• Airmantharp

Agreed!

But mostly because Razer’s network security and patching regimen is a complete unknown.

The design of the hardware I like, but that’s perhaps the least important aspect of the produce.

• Kretschmer
      • 1 year ago

Can this be the full review for some junk product some day?

“Nope.”

• 1 year ago

Yes. Today is that day and this is that product.

• End User

Does it have Wi-Fi 6?

• wingless

I was really looking forward to calling it 802.11ax….. 🙁

• UberGerbil
        • 1 year ago

802.11ax for mesh networking… Smells Like Team Peer-It.

• Redocbew
          • 1 year ago

That was truly groan-worthy. It deserves a secure handshake.

• End User

As was I.

• Vaughn
        • 1 year ago

Pretty sure 802.11ax is still in draft status you are not missing on anything.