Rumor: Nvidia readies up GDDR5X-equipped GeForce GTX 1060

Rumors are what are they are, but oftentimes there's fire to their smoke. First, there were unconfirmed reports that Gigabyte's launching a version of the GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB with a GDDR5X memory upgrade. Now, our eagle-eyed reader SH SOTN spotted a change in Nvidia's spec sheets for the GTX 1060 confirming that such a product does exist.

According to Videocardz' take, the new-ish GTX 1060 6 GB could be based on a GP104 chip. That chip underpins the GTX 1080 and GTX 1070, so it's a fair guess that Nvidia's once again made use of the world's tiniest chainsaw to give GP104 a trim so it'll fit the new card. For the record, the chip atop the existing GTX 1060s is named GP106.

Our and most everyone's guess is that the new variation should perform slightly better than the existing version. There's no exact telling of the exact reason for the new card's existence, but there's a chance that Nvidia may want to counter a purported RX 590 card that AMD could be cooking up. Neither manufacturer has new silicon for the sub-$400 market yet, to our knowledge, so it makes some amount of sense for them to ready up some "new" products.

Whatever the case, mid-range graphics cards tend to sell in large amounts—or as Jesse Pinkman would say, "sling mad volume." The fact that both GPU purveyors want to reheat a piece of this pie is hardly surprising.

• 1 year ago

The mining craze that wrecked GPU pricing and availability may be over now, but the stuff rolling out of the factory today was put into the oven back in March, likely to capitalize on the peak GPU pricing back then. If you look at price-tracker history and stock-tracker history, April was the beginning of the end for the mining rush but Nvidia had already paid for most of the production cost of these GP104s much earier in the year, so it wouldn’t be cost effective to abort their production.

Rather than dumping these chips as GTX 1080 and 1070Ti into the lucrative high-end market and competing with their own potential customers (because Vega 56 and 64 are still in very short supply) They’re dumping them into the higher-volume midrange market where turnover is high and AMD pose a threat.

• K-L-Waster
      • 1 year ago

And let’s face it, putting a product at this price / performance point makes exponentially more sense than the 1070TI ever did.

• unclesharkey
    • 1 year ago

Just lower the damn price!

• Krogoth
    • 1 year ago

It is probably going to be a 1060Ti which is just an artificially binned 1080 (2/3-3/4 of a GP104 with a 192bit memory bus) meant to clear out excessive GP104 + GDDR5X stock.

• Freon
    • 1 year ago

I really hope they will call it the 1065 to help clear up market confusion. Otherwise it’s going to be some 1060 “1380” or something weird that will be hard to identify and explain to folks who are asking for advice.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 1 year ago

NVidia’s evil marketing geniuses have made millions by intentionally confusing the consumer. Why would they quit following the strategy that has made them rich?

• FuturePastNow

Just be thankful they’re not selling a GTX 1060 DDR4

• willmore
      • 1 year ago

Can I interest you in a GF9600GSO? No, I won’t tell you which version….

• freebird
    • 1 year ago

Sounds like they are just trying to clear Pascal inventory to me… not to mention maybe introducing a semi-improved version of the GTX 1060 that may improve sales of the “real” (less powerful) GTX 1060s 6GB/3GB models to the less informed. Or maybe Nvidia just has sheds loads of GP104s and GDDR5X sitting on the shelves and afraid GTX2070 will kill GTX1080 sales, so they need to sell GP104s as a lower model. As we all know Nvidia isn’t dumb, I’m sure economics 101 plays a part in the decision.

Maybe Nvidia put all that Turing AI to use and it predicted that High RTX launch prices along with all the Pascal over supply will clear stock and maximize profits.

• DoomGuy64
    • 1 year ago

If this doesn’t have a ROP increase, there will be no reason to buy it and people will be better off buying a used or discounted 1070/Ti. Fun fact – The original 1060 physically has 48 ROPs, but can only use 32, much like the 970s 4 GB of ram. If this new 1060 is based off the 1080 series, I want to know exactly what has been disabled.

I’ve also heard rumors that Nvidia overproduced Pascal during the mining craze, and is sitting on tons of stock. Meaning that at some point they will have to heavily discount those chips.

Alternatively, they could control supply artificially by destroying inventory and selling their newer hardware at massively increased prices to make up the loss. (RTX) That said, used mining cards will still be available to compete against retail prices, so they’re better off not doing that. Considering that the new 1060 is using a different chip, Nvidia may instead be using previously unreleased binned stock to add “new” tiers to muddy the water, and keep prices up. Screw that. Sell the stockpiled 1070s at 1060 prices.

• wingless
      • 1 year ago

I agree with you on this. Basically, if the 1060’s limiting factor was not memory bandwidth, GDDR5X isn’t going to do a heckuva lot to make it faster. A slightly beefed up 1060 that still slots below the 1070 but has some extra grunt would be appealing to a lot of people.

• PrincipalSkinner
    • 1 year ago

Because we all screamed for a warmed over two year old graphics card.

• albundy
      • 1 year ago

LMAO at nvidia and funny post at the same time.

• Bumper
    • 1 year ago

God, I have been wanting a new graphics card so bad, but I know I need to stick to my guns and wait till cyber Monday. I have probably added a new card to my cart like 3 times in the past week and fought off the impulse. Heaven help me! Give me a new 1070 for $325 or a 1060 6gb for $200 or a 580 8gb for $170.

• Star Brood
      • 1 year ago

Dude this is 2018, not 2016. You can’t have such low prices for that hardware.

• Bumper
        • 1 year ago

🙁 makes me sad man sir, I’m starting to feel trained to be a glutton for punishment. “Thank you <insert mfr> may I have another?”

[url<]https://youtu.be/bIZoVO8ZyyQ[/url<]

• albundy
        • 1 year ago

i dont know where you’ve been looking, but the 1070 hit $289 this week on amazon and other sites. too bad so sad you missed it.

• Star Brood
          • 1 year ago

I was being facetious, expressing my ultimate cynicism at how prices went UP with time, rather than DOWN, the way the God of Capitalism intended. I just didn’t find the way to infer that frustration well enough through writing.

Fortunately, I am not in the market for a graphics card. Last time I bought was a 7850 with 3 solid games included. Now that was a fucking awesome deal. I primarily scan the market however for the best deals as I often find myself in the position of “go-to guy” at work and in my cicles when it comes to buying advice.

Lastly, and most importantly, speculating on builds is a fun hobby. I like to see where I would end up given a budget of 300, 500, 700, etc.

• Bumper
          • 1 year ago

yeah I missed it and miss you. when are you coming home? you’re tearing me apart and little rocco is just a mess. he barely eats and any knock on the door he barks excitedly thinking it’s you. please come home. and bring the 1070 with you too.

• 1 year ago

That sounds like it doesn’t bode well for a theoretical RTX 2060 coming any time soon. Why else refresh the existing midrange GPU?

• Leader952
      • 1 year ago

[quote<] There's no exact telling of the exact reason for the new card's existence, but there's a chance that Nvidia may want to [b<]counter a purported RX 590 card that AMD could be cooking up[/b<]. [/quote<] ^ THIS

• 1 year ago

My point is that if they had a 2060 card that was imminent they wouldn’t bother. That isn’t changed by what you quoted.

• Leader952
          • 1 year ago

Why would you even consider a 2060 card imminent?

There has been ZERO rumors for it coming any time in 2018.

• 1 year ago

There’s not. Haven’t you heard? Nvidia is refreshing the GTX 1060 with GDDR5X. 😉

• Leader952
            • 1 year ago

What are you babbling about now!!!

2 0 6 0

TWO ZERO SIX ZERO

has never been imminent

• 1 year ago

Yes, that’s what this article implies. 😆

I like that you’re getting angry, though. Let it out.

• JustAnEngineer
            • 1 year ago

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFkAAvDkj9k[/url<] [quote="Palpatine"<] Let the hate flow through you... [/quote<]

• kalelovil
      • 1 year ago

A bunch of GP104 dies sitting around, manufactured in response to the mining boom which has now died.

• 1 year ago

Interesting theory, but if they’re not defective why not just drop the price on the 1070/1080 and sell them for more than what you’d get for a 1060?

• DoomGuy64

[url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IadH64GJ2Ps[/url<]

• ptsant
      • 1 year ago

This might be a way to make a quick buck against the rumored RX 590 until production ramps to allow 2060 launch. Remember that they are most likely focused on saturating the market with the most lucrative 2080/2070 first.

If true, then 1060 [Ti?] would be here for the holidays and 2060 sometime before June. In any case, at most a 10-15% uplift, to maintain parity with RX590.

A lot of “ifs” in there, but that would be the only scenario that makes sense to me.

• Freon
      • 1 year ago

The 2060 will be here by Christmas but probably retail for ~$400. $449 for an FE card isn’t out of the question given the 2070 is $599. The 2060 will be a mid to high end part. Everything has been pushed up market. A current 1060 or theoretical “1060 Ti” will cost less and not be direct competition to a 2060.

Comparing 10xx to 20xx like this simply doesn’t make any sense given how Nvidia has pushed things so far up market.

That’s probably fair.

• defaultluser
      • 1 year ago

Uncut TU106 has performance faster than a GTX 1080.

The RTX 2060 will be a cut TU106. It will have performance around that of a 1070 Ti. They will need to price it at $450 or less (to create separation form the massive $100 range announced for the 2070). $400-450 would be spot-on.

By giving just the GTX 1070 a price cut (and rename to 1060 Ti), they can continue selling GP104 at under $300, while stopping the RTX invasion at $400 (until the die shrinks next year).

If they priced the RTX 2060 less than $400, that would require massive price cuts for a ton of their boards to make room.

• 1 year ago

Yes, I heard that argument when Freon made it.

• anotherengineer

RX 590 perhaps?

• 1 year ago

Yes I heard everyone the first forty times, thanks

• defaultluser
    • 1 year ago

I would be interested in this. GTX 1070 has no reason for existence, because it’s $20 less than a 1070 Ti.

Give us a slightly more aggressive cut than the 1070, and disable 64-bits of the memory controller (so manufacturers can reuse current PCBs), and price it at $275. I would pay for that.

Prices have been in freefall on higher-end cards for some time, but most other Nvidia cards have mostly not moved, now that they are back down to MSRP.

The GTX 1060 has always been overpriced, compared to it’s predecessors: GTX 960 fully-enabled was $200, and cut GTX 950 was $160. They bumped that $50 for Pascal. It’s time they launched a 1060 Ti that is worthy of the price bump.

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

I’ve been wanting an x60 Ti for years as it’d be the perfect size to drive a 1920×1200 display. Though at this point, with Cyberpunk 2077 and probably Squadron 42 happening during the expected lifetime of my next GPU purchase, I may bite the bullet and get a 1080 or 2070.

• jihadjoe
        • 1 year ago

Would you prefer a 1060Ti or a 1070LE?

• stefem
      • 1 year ago

The GTX 1060 was a far better buy than the GTX 960 was when they were launched.

• DoomGuy64
        • 1 year ago

Wasn’t it more expensive though? I thought the 960 retailed for $200, while the 1060 retailed for $300. Maybe it didn’t though, and my memory is off. Been too long to recall accurately.