Thursday deals: a Ryzen Threadripper 1950X for $630 and more

Howdy, folks. It's the day after the first gig in my life, handling bass duties with my band Wicked. I'm overtired, but happy because I survived it somehow without looking too bad (by most accounts, anyway). At least I can safely say it was my best gig ever. Metal was played, everything was loud, and it's all good in the world. There ain't no rest for Wicked, though, and today it's deals day. Here's today's set of picks.

• Not everyone is in the market for a many-cored processor. And yet, here we are. The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X is a mighty beast with its 16 cores and 32 threads clocked at up to 4 GHz. This humongous chip got a TR Editor's Choice award back when we reviewed it, and with good reason. If you can make use of all the silicon in it, it's one heck of a deal today at $629.99 at Newegg with the cart code EMCEPSP56.

• A Threadripper CPU requires a hefty cooling apparatus, and we're partial to using a quality closed-loop liquid cooler for that purpose. One such item is the Cooler Master MasterLiquid RGB 240-mm unit. This unit should be quiet, effective, and it's got individually-addressable LEDs on the fans and pump assembly for that ever-important bling. Amazon will sell you one for $88.99 when you apply the on-page coupon.

• If you're more into building a general purpose machine, we have a fine combo deal for that. The Intel Core i5-9600K is one heck of a speedy chip with its six Coffee Lake cores and 4.6-GHz turbo clocks. You can build a fine gaming machine with that chip and the ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming SLI/ac motherboard. This mobo has Type-A and Type-C USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, Intel-powered 802.11ac Wi-Fi, 10-phase power delivery, and 2.5-Gigabit Ethernet. You can get a combo pack from Newegg that includes the Core i5-9600K, that ASRock mobo, an Intel 545s 256-GB SSD, and a game code for the latest Call of Duty game featuring Gimli holding a gun on the box, for the amount of $409.99 all told at Newegg. That's $148 off the regular price, and you even get a $10 rebate card to use.

• These days, nobody wants to be caught dead with a horrible, spudgy membrane keyboard. Instead, you want something like the HyperX Alloy FPS Pro clicker. This input device has Cherry MX Blue clicky switches, red backlighting, and the usual accoutrements of any contemporary keyboard like N-key rollover and anti-ghosting. As an added bonus, the cable is detachable, making it easy to replace if your pet chinchilla ever finds it more edible than usual. Take this keyboard home for $49.99 from Amazon.

• I'm pretty darn sure that you've been asked to troubleshoot spotty Wi-Fi coverage more than once, only to find that whatever crappy router the ISP installed would find a better purpose as a doorstop. To aid that ailment, you can use the Google Wi-Fi mesh networking kit that should ease the pain of covering an abode in juicy wireless signal. You can get a three-piece kit from Rakuten for just $209.99 with the checkout code HOME20. That price already beats that of many routers, but Rakuten will get you 15% of your total amount back as points towards a subsequent purchase.

• The final piece today is for a seriously tasty budget laptop. The Lenovo IdeaPad 330 (81DE00L0US) packs an Intel Core i5-8250U processor, 8 GB of memory, a 256-GB solid-state drive, and a 1920×1080 display. Those specs mostly scream "mid-range," but the price is decidedly low-end: only $519.99 at Newegg

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• jihadjoe
    • 10 months ago

If you do buy the 1950X, please don’t blindly follow the author’s advice and go for the CLC as well. The Master Liquid 240R isn’t even compatible with Threadripper.

[url<]http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/masterliquid-ml240r-rgb/[/url<] [quote<]CPU Socket Intel® LGA 2066 / 2011-v3 / 2011 / 1151 / 1150 / 1155 / 1156 / 1366 / 775 socket AMD® AM4 / AM3+ / AM3 / AM2+ / AM2 / FM2+ / FM2 / FM1 socket[/quote<]

• Shobai
      • 10 months ago

The case can be made, I think, for saying that the intent was to link “one such item” with “quality closed-loop liquid cooler” and not “closed-loop liquid cooler for [cooling Threadripper]”.

My guess was that the cooler wasn’t compatible with TR4, and thanks for doing the legwork to confirm that – I would prefer to see them edit the article to make that distinction clear.

• bandannaman
    • 10 months ago

Just dropping a happy note that the ad below this article for me is now “Top Surgeon: How To Properly Flush Out Your Bowels”, a yuuuge improvement over the Trump ones! Well done sirs! <3

• maxxcool
      • 10 months ago

…ew? WTH have you been browsing and storing in your cookies !?

• Voldenuit

Apparently not fiber.

• SHOES
          • 10 months ago

I had the same ad until the page refreshed, after I logged in… “This leaked Hillary video could finally shut down CNN —”

I was going to click that one too….

• Kretschmer

“Man Who Predicted Trump’s Victory Makes NEW Shocking Prediction
      The “fake news” media will NOT cover this developing story.”

Nope, still awful.

• 10 months ago

“Hillary’s Dirtiest Secret Was Just Leaked And Even Libras Are Turning On Her”.

I don’t get the zodiac connection but I’m not curious enough to click it.

I fear that even pointing these out is a losing battle. Zero response from TR staff. :-/

• Mr Bill
          • 10 months ago

That Libra bias will get you every time. We must guard against it!

• UberGerbil
          • 10 months ago

Pretty sure that’s not a zodiac reference. This is the kind of Libra that lifts and separates.

• jihadjoe
      • 10 months ago

IIRC I’ve never gotten a political ad from here, it’s usually two ads for hardware and one for health, or in the case right now to convert to Christianity.

I think that one might have something to do with my username lol.

• Srsly_Bro
    • 10 months ago

According to Jeff’s techi review of the 8700k feat. OCed 2600k, I can say my 2012 model 2700k overclocked has higher single threaded performance than TrashRipper 1950x.

I don’t want to go back to Nehalem days.

#trashtier

• travbrad
      • 10 months ago

I mean yeah if you mainly care about single-threaded or just more lightly threaded applications Threadripper is never going to make sense. Just like if you mostly have workloads that can use 16-32+ threads, getting a 4 core Intel part would be pretty silly.

There are almost certainly more regular consumers in the camp of single-threaded performance mattering more, but that’s not everyone. Or probably even more people who feel Ryzen has “good enough” single-threaded performance to be worth getting it for the extra cores. Then you have the vast majority of people who would be fine with just about any CPU in the last 5-10 years.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 10 months ago

Nice analysis. AMD has a Horizon event on November 6th where Dr. Lisa Su will be talking about Epyc 2. I’m looking forward to that event. It’s either the next threadripper or SKL-X refresh for me. It’s time to upgrade.

• jdevers
      • 10 months ago

It’s almost like they knew that when they named it..don’t consider a semi truck for your next vehicle if you just drive yourself to work every day and then complain about the commute time.

• Goty
      • 10 months ago

Yes, your OC’d 2600K has higher single threaded performance than Threadripper. It also probably has higher single-threaded performance than the vast majority of Intel parts released in the past six years. Shock.

• Krogoth
        • 10 months ago

Actually Sandy Bridge became obsolete once Haswell and Skylake came around.

I understand that 2600K was able to last very long but pretending it can keep up with current generation of CPUs from both vendors is being just delusional.

• Goty
          • 10 months ago

Of course it is, but when you compare single threaded performance of an overclocked part from an era where single threaded performance was the only thing that mattered to the single threaded performance of a 16c/32t HEDT part, you’re already operating outside of the realm of sanity.

• Krogoth
      • 10 months ago

You are missing the complete point of HEDT SKUs. Single-threaded performance is mostly meaningless these days. It is only applicable to a tiny niche of software (mainly legacy stuff).

Besides, the 2600K is completely outclassed by Ryzen+ and Skylake family. Dual-channel DDR3 simply cannot keep up with the overclocked CPU. The platform that 2600K rides on its completely out of date (1st generation USB3 controllers, PCIe 2.0, no NVMe support and no AVX2)

• MOSFET
        • 10 months ago

The [i<]platform[/i<] itself does PCIe 3.0 and DDR3-1600 just by changing to Ivy Bridge. NVMe works (hello PCIe) but probably not booting from it.

• Krogoth
          • 10 months ago

Native NVMe does not work on pre-9 series era chipset. Any PCIe SSD media has to run in SATA mode in order to work.

• 10 months ago

If you want to do some basic gaming on the go, the Ryzen 5 2500U version of that Lenovo is only $10 more. To me that’s the better deal.

Problem is updating the RAM and storage in that thing. This looks like a pain:
    [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vYAo_JrrSA[/url<]

• willmore
      • 10 months ago

Why they put an optical drive in there in this day and age…..

Oh, they nerfed it by using one channel of DRAM. *facepalm*

• 10 months ago

Lenovo’s site says there is 4 GB of memory “Onboard” (presumably soldered) and 4GB of memory in an SO-DIMM. I hope that the soldered memory uses one channel and the slot uses the other, but maybe not.

[url<]https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/ideapad-300-series/Ideapad-330-15-Intel/p/88IP3000996[/url<]

• willmore
          • 10 months ago

Okay, that’s a bit better. Sure wish it was 8GB onboard instead, but some memory on both channels helps. Especially for graphics.

• JustAnEngineer
            • 10 months ago

My Zenbook UX32VD has a single SODIMM slot and 2 GiB of DDR3-1600 soldered to the mainboard. That’s how I got to the unusual total of 10 GiB.

• Voldenuit
          • 10 months ago

Wait, is that an optical drive I see on that Ideapad???

What Year Is It? /Robinwilliams.gif

• Voldenuit
    • 10 months ago

MX Blue gaming keyboard? Sounds perfect for annoying your teammates in voice chat!

• 10 months ago

When I play alone, the clicking keeps my company.

Almost a George Thorogood lyric. “When I play alone, I play [s<]with[/s<] by myself"

• DPete27
    • 10 months ago

Juuust posted this in Hot Deals.
    [url=https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=1FT-000B-000E2&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=11877032&PID=1800524&SID=<]RX470 4GB for $90[/url<]

• chuckula

Thanks mining crash!

• K-L-Waster
      • 10 months ago

Hard to recommend a 4GB card these days, but then again, it is only $90…

• Pulsar_the_Spacenerd
        • 10 months ago

At that price it’s competing against lower-end cards like the 1050 and 560, so that’s a slam of a card. That would have been a great price before the mining boom.

• synthtel2
          • 10 months ago

Not even 1050 and 560, it’s down in 1030 and 550 territory. I wonder how long supplies will last.

• 10 months ago

Without an HDMI or DisplayPort connector, it will probably be slower to sell out.

• willmore

Sold out.

Or not. 😆

• DPete27
            • 10 months ago

Oh, I didn’t notice the barren back panel… good catch.

• Ryhadar
            • 10 months ago

And it also can’t do FreeSync without those ports either. Still, that’s a heck of a bargain.

• K-L-Waster
          • 10 months ago

Agreed — my point was more along the lines of “does a 4GB card make sense in late 2018?” However, at that price you could almost consider it a burner card — if you get a year of use out of it, it doesn’t owe you anything.