The Tech Report staff wishes you a happy Thanksgiving

Hey, folks. As it's turkey day in the United States, we won't be publishing today. The Tech Report staff would like to wish you and yours a happy Thanksgiving, and if you're not in the US of A, we'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming come tomorrow.

As for me, I plan to be eating good. I spent yesterday evening assembling three pans of sausage and sage stuffing that's always a hit, plus two pans of green bean casserole made from scratch (well, except for the French's fried onions, but I won't tell if you won't). If you grew up hating green bean casserole like I did, this stuff will turn you into a convert.

Wherever you are today, we hope it's a pleasant time spent with family, friends, and good food (and possibly even football). We're thankful for you, our readers, without whom our work wouldn't be possible. Thank you for continuing to make The Tech Report part of your daily digest.

• DarkUltra
    • 1 year ago

Don’t forget to thank the turkey for giving his life to give you a good meal

• superjawes
      • 1 year ago

I thank evolution for creating a big, juicy, delicious idiot dinosaur.

• just brew it!

I’ll second that!

• Captain Ned
        • 1 year ago

If you could see the herds of them covering VT roads right now, you’d double-up on the “idiot” portion of that definition.

• NTMBK
    • 1 year ago

Brit here- do you guys have full turkey dinner at Thanksgiving AND Christmas?

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

Nah, the traditional Christmas meal is Chinese takeout.

• Captain Ned

[url<]https://youtu.be/xTq20prt0K8[/url<]

• stdRaichu
      • 1 year ago

Incidentally, turkey for british christmas dinner was actually imported from the US – turkeys (native to the americas) were bigger and cheaper to rear than goose, which was the traditional bird before turkeys came over.

I’m not much of a fan of turkey myself, but IMHO stuffing it (mostly with a pork-based stuffing for lots of lovely fat) is essential to keep it moist inside.

• Inkling
      • 1 year ago

We usually have turkey for Thanksgiving and ham for Christmas. But I’ve had turkey, goose, or even beef brisket for Christmas dinner several times.

• superjawes
      • 1 year ago

There might be some families who do, but I’d wager that most do not. For my family, we generally make roast beef on Christmas, with ham as an alternative. Heck, one year my stepmom made Cornish game hens for Christmas.

The family bit is important, though. In my case, Thanksgiving is the BIG family get together, so everyone brings something (usually sides or dessert), and the host will cook 1-2 turkeys depending on how many we have that year. Christmas was always smaller and closer to home, so a whole turkey would always be too much.

Couple of sidebars. 1) Non-Christians are more likely to do Chinese takeout, as drfish mentioned. 2) Many people I know who do turkey for either holiday will have a lot of leftovers that become soup, sandwiches, etc., so it’s not like the whole bird gets eaten on the holiday.

• JustAnEngineer
      • 1 year ago

My mother still fixes the traditional turkey dinner for the extended family at Thanksgiving and Christmas. When I was growing up, we usually had a roast turkey at Easter, too.

It’s inexpensive (49 cents per pound for a 24-lb turkey feeds 10 people for several days) and delicious.

The rest of our traditional meal includes:
      Sausage & apple stuffing
      Mashed potatoes with gravy
      Homemade dinner rolls
      Green beans
      Cranberry jello mold
      Pumpkin pie

Leftover turkey becomes open-face hot sandwiches with gravy, cold sandwiches, turkey ala king and turkey noodle soup.

• just brew it!
        • 1 year ago

[quote<]It's inexpensive (49 cents per pound for a 24-lb turkey feeds 10 people for several days) and delicious.[/quote<] Yeah, I was kind of wishing we had a chest freezer so I could get an extra turkey or two with how cheap they were. I think Jennie-O turkeys were marked down even more than usual this year due to the salmonella recall; the recall only affected ground turkey, but I bet a lot of people were avoiding the whole birds too because reading comprehension fail (or telephone game).

• morphine
    • 1 year ago

Happy turkey day, Americans!

• RJay
      • 1 year ago

Technically, it’s more of an anti-turkey day or at least a not-so-happy-turkey day.

• ALiLPinkMonster
    • 1 year ago

I’m thankful for TR, who have been my primary source for tech reviews and articles since I first got into computers. I’m also thankful for all you gerbils, who have helped me out in the forums for way longer than my profile’s join date indicates. Happy Thanksgiving and GO SAINTS

• blazer_123
    • 1 year ago

Happy Thanksgiving! It’s always fun and informative visiting TR.

• Dposcorp

Happy Thanksgiving

• psuedonymous
    • 1 year ago

Can it still be called ‘stuffing’ if it is not used to stuff?

• drfish
      • 1 year ago

It is better used for stuffing faces than cavities in turkeys.

• Captain Ned
        • 1 year ago

And leftovers in a waffle iron are DELICIOUS!!

• just brew it!
          • 1 year ago

Ooh, gonna have to try that. We didn’t do stuffing this year (sacrilege?), but you definitely got my attention with that. I may need to make “stuffing waffles” as a side for something soon.

• 1 year ago

Am I weird for thinking that doing the stuffing in the waffle iron would still be good with butter and syrup? Sage, parsley…and maple?

• just brew it!
            • 1 year ago

Maple can work with savory things. It might or might not in this case, but I’d definitely be willing to give that a try!

• 1 year ago

Yep. I was thinking about pork sausage links with pancakes and syrup and that’s an awesome combo. So I figure this could be good too.

• just brew it!
            • 1 year ago

Mix a little pork sausage in with the stuffing, waffle iron ’em until crispy, and top ’em with real maple syrup. Yeah, that sounds really, really, good…

• 1 year ago

I read your idea to my wife and she suggested I go pick up a roll of sausage in the morning. We’ve got plenty of leftover dressing. We’ll see how ambitious I am.

• Captain Ned
            • 1 year ago

I must admit that I gratuitously stole this idea from the food geeks at Serious Eats (where TR learns to Food!!):

[url<]https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/11/stuffing-waffles-recipe.html[/url<] [url<]https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/turkey-stuffing-waffle-thanksgiving-croque-madame-sandwich-recipe.html[/url<] [url<]https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/11/waffled-mashed-potatoes-bacon-cheddar-recipe.html[/url<]

• 1 year ago

BTW the stuffing + sausage + maple syrup combination works really well.

• JustAnEngineer

“Dressing.”

• chuckula
    • 1 year ago

Happy Thanksgiving and remember to be thankful for everything you have!

• nanoflower
    • 1 year ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Also a happy BlackFriday sales avoidance to you all. 😉

• Neutronbeam
      • 1 year ago

?! I’m picking you up at 6:00 a.m. tomorrow so we can get in line at Fry’s. Check your calendar invites.

• nanoflower
        • 1 year ago

damn.. I missed it.. Sorry about that but I had a more pressing appointment. My blankets were holding me down.

• just brew it!
      • 1 year ago

The only stores I entered today were Home Depot and Ace Hardware, for some odds and ends to deal with an auto maintenance task which should’ve been a 10 minute job but has turned into an extended extravaganza because of the wonders of Midwestern winters and road salt.

• sweatshopking
    • 1 year ago

FROM YOUR CANADIAN KING I HOPE YOU GUIZE HAVE A NICE DAY, DON’T KILL FAMILY, AND FIND SOME SWEET DEALS WITHOUT GETTING TRAMPLED.

• tipoo
      • 1 year ago

Silly rabbit, us Northlings would never bow to a king.

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

HAPPY REAL THANKSGIVING! SORRY YOUR CALENDAR IS BROKEN! [SEE I SAID SORRY, THAT’S TOTALLY CANADIAN]

HERE’S RUSH: [url<]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9RvC558gBE[/url<]

• sweatshopking
        • 1 year ago

[url<]https://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/en/article/thanksgiving-day[/url<] BRAH OURS IS THE LEGIT ORIGINAL 1578 NOBODY LIKES RUSH. BUT I FORGIVE YOU FOR LINKING THEM.

• 1 year ago

Happy Thanksgiving to all the Gerbils out there!

• JustAnEngineer
    • 1 year ago

Why aren’t 4/25, 5/01, 5/31, 6/10, 8/15, 10/05, 11/01, 12/01 and 12/08 also TR holidays?

• JustAnEngineer
      • 1 year ago

Look at all of those down thumbs, Bruno. There’s no love for [url=http://www.holidayscalendar.com/countries/portugal/<]TR’s European office[/url<].

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

Zey’ll ve lerrning vonce ze great Europ takes over ze vorld!

• meerkt
          • 1 year ago

That’s the wrong accent, amiga!

• NovusBogus
      • 1 year ago

Am I thinking of another publication, or is one of the TR staff based in Canada? I hear that 4/20 just became a national holiday up there.

• morphine
        • 1 year ago

We used to have two Canucks a while back, but now the TR staff only covers the US of A, and Portugal.

• enixenigma
    • 1 year ago

A safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving to the entire staff (hopefully a relaxing day off for those residing outside of the US). Thanks for all of the great work that you do to keep us informed and entertained. I’ll try green bean casserole in your honor.

• ET3D
    • 1 year ago

Have a happy Thanksgiving, and a happy Black Friday (which is observed much more widely).

• drfish

Go Lions!

• Krogoth
    • 1 year ago

NVGREEDIA IS BRIBING YOU WITH TASTY THANKSGIVING TREATS!

RTX MODE = REAL TURKEY XTREME MODE!

TOTALLY UNSUBSCRIBING NOW!

• chuckula
      • 1 year ago

Well we all said RTX was a real turkey!

I recommend brining overnight before roasting.