Project Fi becomes Google Fi and adds iPhone support

Google's contract-free Project Fi wanted to be a refreshingly simple kind of cellular service when it launched back in 2015. Carrier partnerships with both Sprint and T-Mobile allowed Project Fi subscribers to get the best network connectivity wherever they were, and a simple pricing model of $20 per month for baseline service and $10 for every gigabyte of data offered clarity about just what subscribers were getting for their money. Project Fi has apparently been a success, as Mountain View is graduating the service to Google Fi and expanding the handsets it'll work with today.

With the advent of Google Fi, the company says would-be subscribers can get on board with "many Samsung, LG, Moto, and OnePlus devices," as well as iPhones (as part of a beta program). The steps necessary to get up and running with an iOS device on Fi will apparently be detailed in the Google Fi iOS app. The company says that users looking for "the full Google Fi experience" with seamless network-switching will still want to use a tailor-made phone like the Pixel 3, Moto G6, and others detailed on the Google Fi site, however.

To celebrate its newly-minted status as a real boy, Google Fi is also kicking in some incentives for signing up for the service. The company says that if you sign up for Fi today and today only, you'll get travel vouchers equal to the price of any new phone you purchase for use with Fi plans. Those bringing existing phones to the service can enjoy $200 of credit for pledging allegiance. If all that sounds good, check whether your device is compatible through Google's site and Fi-re it up.

• highlandr
    • 11 months ago

I almost signed up for the $200 credit for bringing my Moto G6 just to check things out, but in the fine print I would have to port my number over. No thanks, Google, there’s a reason I’m on Verizon, and it’s called “useable cell coverage.”

I’d be willing to try it as a secondary option, but not as a move my number over option.

• Pettytheft
      • 11 months ago

I’ve had Fi since they were in beta. You’re good on cell coverage. They use 3 different networks and I’ve been very few places where a verizon user had coverage and I didn’t.

• Techonomics

“Fi-re it up.”

Thank you for this.

Because yes, I was that person who didn’t know if it was pronounced fē or fī.

#notashamed

• shank15217

$10 for 1GB of data stingy as hell

• LostCat
      • 11 months ago

It’s fine if you mostly use it in your house or somewhere with good public wifi. Once you lose that bubble not so much.

• Goty
        • 11 months ago

Even then it’s not so bad. It’s [i<]technically[/i<] unlimited with their bill protection. When we moved recently and were without internet service for about two weeks, my wife and I used well over 20GB of data and our bill was capped at $140 for the two of us since we didn't pay anything after 10 GB. In regular usage, two lines rarely costs us more than $60 or so, and that's making no special efforts to reducing our data usage.

• Unknown-Error
          • 11 months ago

Whats the speed once bill protection kicks in?

• Goty

It’s unaffected.

*EDIT* I wanted to confirm this since I wasn’t entirely sure, and evidently individual users may be throttled after they use 15GB (so 30GB total for two of us) or you can opt to keep paying for full speed. From the support page:

[quote<]Data speeds with Bill Protection When someone on your plan uses 15 GB of data, their data speeds will get slowed to 256 kbps until the next cycle. All other members will get full data speeds until they each use 15 GB of data. After 15 GB, you can go back to full data speeds at $10/GB for the rest of your cycle. Select Account and then Get full speed in your Google Fi app. In group plans, only a manager can switch members' speeds back. [/quote<]

• LostCat
          • 11 months ago

I’m just saying, pricewise…I can get 8GB of data with AT&T prepaid for $45 a month…

• Goty
            • 11 months ago

It’s not for everyone. If you’re a heavy data user that isn’t going to frequently be near a secure wifi network, you’ll probably be better off going with another service. If, on the other hand, you do fit in that bucket you’ll likely end up paying less for the same usage on a regular basis. Personally, I also like the fact that I don’t actually pay for the data I don’t use, unlike pretty much every other plan I could go with.

• LostCat
            • 11 months ago

I didn’t think I was. Then I started to be on the road five hours a day…

• barich
      • 11 months ago

Not if you don’t use much. My entire bill is usually around $30-35. Literally the only thing I do to save data is to ensure that I am connected to WiFi if it’s available where I am. The vast majority of my cellular data use is music streaming in the car.

• Forge
    • 11 months ago

I liked Fi when I was on it for a while, but I’ve grown too comfortable here in TMO unlimited land to go back.

• LostCat
      • 11 months ago

Same here, except I’m switching to AT&T. They have near perfect coverage where the other guys just don’t (my house.)

Fi is great, until you want to use data regularly.

• chuckula
    • 11 months ago

Projects Fe Fo and Fum….. CONFIRMED.

#PoorJack

• James296
      • 11 months ago

does that make google the giant or the beanstalk??

• Neutronbeam
    • 11 months ago

“Fi-re it up”–you have learned much from drfish, young padawan. There is nothing more he can teach you (that isn’t cheese related).

I really want to do Google Fi, because it complements my Googlefu.

• morphine
      • 11 months ago

[quote<]I really want to do Google Fi, because it complements my Googlefu.[/quote<] sadtrombone.wav

• drfish
      • 11 months ago

I approve of this Fi-rst post.

• Neutronbeam