Antlion Audio bites off the cord to make its ModMic Wireless

Antlion Audio's ModMic can turn any pair of headphones into a high-quality headset, but that add-on has one unfortunate drawback: it adds another cable to any existing wires running back to its user's PC. The obvious solution to this problem is to get rid of the cord entirely, and that's just what the company has done with its ModMic Wireless. This add-on mic uses Qualcomm's aptX protocol to deliver 16-bit, 48-KHz low-latency audio with all the freedom of wireless connectivity.

Missing cord aside, the ModMic Wireless uses the same basic guts as the ModMic 5 we reviewed and lauded some time ago. The microphone itself includes a dual-capsule design with wide and narrow patterns, and the company says the transmitter is good for 12 hours of use on battery. The ModMic Wireless uses a micro-USB port for charging, and it can charge and operate simultaneously. If you're looking for a quality wireless mic to clip onto your audiophile cans, the ModMic Wireless is available now for $120 direct from Antlion Audio.

• Laykun
    • 11 months ago

$120 is the dumb price, just wait till it goes down to something like $80 on massdrop or amazon sale.

• tanker27
    • 11 months ago

This is awesome. I wonder what the delay is like. (TR need to test it :P) but 120 is a large pill to swallow. Until the death of my OG ModMic i’ll stick with it.

• Jeff Kampman

Antlion claims 35 ms.

• tanker27
        • 11 months ago

I could claim that I’m the best basketball player in the world and it doesn’t make it true. So at a 120 dollar price tag i’d want some third party verification on said claims before I plop that kind of change down.

Besides who’s not to say that there is some breaking bug between the wireless ModMic and Discord (my preferred multiplayer voice chat)?

• Jeff Kampman
          • 11 months ago

I’m just sharing what I know, man. I’m not endorsing it, just offering a potential ballpark.

• DancinJack
          • 11 months ago

[quote=”Antlion”<]No Hassle Returns If you change your mind any time in 30 days, we will gladly accept your return.[/quote<]

• synthtel2
          • 11 months ago

I’m inclined to believe 35 ms, because they have historically made very good (if pricey) hardware with accurate specs.

What about this would possibly trouble Discord? If there’s anything odd about it, that’s the OS’ job to handle, and OSes mostly do a pretty good job of it.

• tanker27
            • 11 months ago

You’d be surprised to see what bugs creep up when developers step outside of established norms.

• synthtel2
            • 11 months ago

It looks like all the host computer sees is audio input over USB. That’s not outside of established norms.

• AntlionJoe
            • 11 months ago

We’re not so big we can’t answer questions we find 🙂 Heya! I am Joe, the Marketing Director here at Antlion. I did a speed test on my home rig following the steps outlined by Audacity [url<]https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/latency_test.html[/url<] - My findings were this: A Modmic Wired into the MB had a latency of 158ms. ModMic Wireless had a latency of 167ms. The USB port was actually faster at 130ms. So first, we have to recognize that the 32ms number is what is given to us by the chipset, not by our testing. Second, the important part of this test is to see the DIFFERENCE between the numbers. So in short, my personal test landed us at worst at 37ms, so we're basically spot on. Why was the MB slower? My bet is because I had noise suppression on, but I haven't retested without it. We can be honest AND make good products 😀

• synthtel2
            • 11 months ago

Thank you for the explanation!

• tanker27

This is awesome thanks!

FWIW I do own and use the OG Modmic wired having switched over from a venerable favorite of mine the Zalman Zm-mic1. (I still recommend the Zalman because of the price)

• hansmuff
            • 11 months ago

Hi Joe, I’ve always wanted a mic that I can secure on my Sennheiser HD580s. Their body is all plastic, and the outer shell on the ear cups is ‘open’ but again, plastic. Can you mic mount on those headphones? Thanks for any info!

• TheEmrys
            • 11 months ago

Things like this will make me consider Antlion whenever my stuff goes out.