Thursday deals: a HyperX Cloud Revolver headset for $70 and more

Hey there, folks. Here's today bit of irrelevant trivia. I've recently joined the rechargeable batteries club. See, ever since I started playing the metal, I got me a nice Line6 Relay G30 wireless pack. Problem is, that thing devours batteries like a politician handles a pork barrel. To scratch that itch and help the environment a little, I've enlisted a Golisi S4 smart charger and some Amazon high-capacity batteries. The charger is super-nice, and I'm eager to try the batteries on the G30 to see if they work as well as Eneloops. Oh, right, today's deals. Here they are.

• Today's deals are of a different tack than usual since retailers seem to be short on CPUs and graphics cards after the Black Friday and Cyber Monday rushes. The first bit of kit we have is the HyperX Cloud Revolver headset. This sturdy set of cans has a pair of 50-mm drivers and memory foam cushions attached to a steel frame. A handy control box lets you easily control the cans' volume and mute the mic. We liked this headset's quality back when we reviewed it, though we found it a tad too dear at the time. That's not a problem today, since it's selling for $69.99 at Best Buy.

• Although we love our desktop PCs around here, not everyone can do their work sitting down at a home or office. One of the best bits of kit around for mobile computing is the Dell XPS 15 laptop. This machine has a top-notch display and build quality, a long-lasting battery, and a nice keyboard-and-trackpad combo. The model we have today is pretty darn loaded. You get an Intel Core i7-8750H processor, 16 GB of RAM, a 256-GB NVMe solid-state drive, and a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. If you're looking for a high-end laptop that can both work and game, this is it. Rakuten will hand it to you for $1349.99, and you can get a whopping $404.70 back in points if you buy it today.

• We've had a laptop, yes, but what about the second laptop? The Dell G3 15 laptop is a lean, mean gaming machine. The specs are quite similar to the XPS above: a Core i7-8750H processor, 16 GB of RAM, and that nice GeForce GTX 1050 Ti graphics card. The major difference internals-wise is that you get a 256-GB SATA SSD and a 1-TB hard drive on this machine. The low, low amount of $849.99 is all you'll need to take it home from Walmart.

• Since we're on the topic of gaming, check out the Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum. It's safe to say that this is a fan favorite rodent thanks to its well-thought-out shape and layout and assortment of buttons. There are additional bonuses like a weight system and a sniper button, and the whole thing is selling for just $34.99 at Best Buy.

• On today's edition of cheap RAM, we have the G.Skill Aegis 16-GB dual-channel kit of 3000 MT/s DIMMs. This set doesn't have many frills, but hey, it's a pair of fast memory sticks. We're fine with that, as the price is just $99.99 at Newegg. Yep, folks, we're finally back to a Benjamin for 16 GB of DDR4.

• You might have a phone, tablet, or laptop that's a little too short on storage. If that's the case, take a look at the Sandisk Ultra 128-GB microSD card. This is a simple item that does with it says on the tin. It can push up to 100 MB/s on reads and has A1 application launch speed certification. It comes with an SD adapter in the box and will only set you back $19.99 at Amazon.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• gecko575
    • 11 months ago

[quote<]We've had a laptop, yes, but what about the second laptop? [/quote<] Love me some LOTR. It is amazing to me that we can fit 128gb into a microsd for $20.

• Voldenuit
      • 11 months ago

Yet Google charges $200 to go from the 64 GB Pixel Slate to the 128 GB SKU.

• DPete27
    • 11 months ago

I got the Logitech 502 Proteus Spectrum last year at Best Buy for $30 and I love it. Very comfortable. Would recommend to anyone.

• 11 months ago

It looks like a nice mouse. I have a G402 (which I got when my MX 518 finally gave up the ghost) and like it quite a bit.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 11 months ago

I have used the g502 since 2015 and it’s still great. Best part is no RGB!

• 11 months ago

For sure, no RGB is a huge selling point. I had to temporarily install some Logitech software to turn off the blue LED in the 402, but I have used the mouse with multiple machines now and the light always stays off. That must mean that it’s in memory on the mouse somewhere. I endorse that decision.

• Voldenuit
      • 11 months ago

I have a G502 Spectrum, and it’s got a few problems.

1. The mousewheel is obnoxiously loud and quite slippery. It’s also ratchety and vibrates the entire mouse when I scroll with it (I don’t use freescroll because it’s not viable for most gaming).
      2. The right side of the mouse is grease-prone and also gets slippery. I’m a compulsive hand-washer and don’t eat at the PC, so I’m not greasing up the mouse more than normal.
      3. It’s quite a heavy mouse, even without the weights, but prospective buyers are probably aware they’re not getting a Zowie.
      4. Some key/button assignments refuse to work for me without the craptastic ad-ridden Logi Hub software resident. For instance, I have 2 of the thumb buttons mapped to Ctrl and Shift, and actually have that specified in the profile that is loaded to the mouse’s on-board memory, but those buttons don’t work for me unless Logi Hub is actually running.

But for 30 bucks, yeah, it’s definitely worthwhile for a Pixart 3366 sensor mouse (the main reason I bought it). The sensor is definitely much better than the Kova I had before it, although I much prefer the shape of the Kova.

• DPete27
        • 11 months ago

1) I agree with the slippery wheel. It would’ve been nice to have had either a different texture on it or rubberized. I think the loudness comes from the resistance of the click positions. They’re very defined, which I actually like.

2) Hmm, I haven’t noticed this problem with mine.

3) Yes, I wouldn’t consider it a “light” mouse. But the weight is right there in the specs, so…

4) I’ve had problems mapping the buttons in some games. I thought this was the fault of the game. I couldn’t get Corsair’s software to even install/run on my machine with my previous mouse, and I generally despise vendor software like this anyway, so I won’t be installing their software even if I can’t map mouse buttons.

• Voldenuit
          • 11 months ago

3) The weight didn’t bother me when the mouse was new, but now that the feet are more worn and the gliding resistance is higher, I’ve been noticing it more.

4) My preferred strategy with modern mice is to map assignments to the onboard mouse memory, then remove the configuration software from Windows, but unfortunately it doesn’t work with the G502 because it doesn’t work with all key/button assignments in mouse ROM. I’ve also noticed this with my G303 that I use with my laptop, it doesn’t seem to load everything in the profile without the Logi Hub software running.

• DPete27
    • 11 months ago

I’ve been wanting a HyperX Cloud Alpha headset for a long time, but they don’t seem to exist in retail channels. What gives? Heck, even the Cloud2 was missing for a long time before they surfaced on Black Friday.

• Neutronbeam
      • 11 months ago

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Alpha-Gaming-Headset/dp/B074NBSF9N/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1543514618&sr=8-3&keywords=hyperx+cloud+alpha+headset[/url<]

• DPete27
        • 11 months ago

GAH!!! It was on sale Black Friday & Cyber Monday!?!?! Drat.

• DancinJack
          • 11 months ago

lol did you not even google it?

• Neutronbeam
          • 11 months ago

[url<]https://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Core-Gaming-Headset/dp/B0153XL4V2/ref=gbps_img_m-8_4855_46d16437?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=c6237914-5cba-43cc-b008-b318d59e4855&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-8&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=5550342011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=6V7H236W3B3DN00WNGC4[/url<]