Thursday deals: a 2-TB SSD for $210, a 1-TB SSD for $113, and more

G'afternoon, good gerbils. Recently I moved over to an NVMe SSD, and I can tell you a couple things. The first is that for regular usage, it'll do very little for you compared to the vast majority of SATA drives. The second thing that I can tell you is that when you do get it going (in my case, for heavy-duty VM work, wrangling big Windows images, and handling tons of small files at once), it's going to set your heart positively alight. But enough chit-chat, we're here for deals, right? Here's today's selection.

• Well dang, today is cheap NAND day. Prices for permanent transistor bit storage have fallen through the floor, and they're on track to reach the lower layers of the Earth's crust soon. The first drive on hand is the Adata SU800 2 TB. This drive is speedy enough for any purpose short of power-user work with its 560 MB/s sequential read and 520 MB/s write speeds. The price is a stupid-low $209.99 at Rakuten with the checkout code AD40.

• Following along to system components, how about a pretty nice case? The Corsair Carbide Spec-06 RGB is a roomy ATX enclosure with a tempered-glass side panel and RGB LED lighting on the front in a sleek and subdued style. The chassis come with two 120-mm fans and can take in radiators as long as 360 mm. Take this case home for $59.99 from Newegg with the cart code EMCERES32.

• It would be a faux pas to put an el-cheapo board inside that nice case. For a Socket AM4 build, you'd be well-served by the Asus ROG Strix X470-F Gaming. This pack o' slots offers up to M.2 slots, an integrated I/O shield, onboard RGB LED lighting, Intel-powered Gigabit Ethernet, and Realtek S1220A audio codec. Put this mobo in your system for $169.99 from Newegg if you use the cart code EMCERES26.

• We've always thought that the Surface Laptop was one of the best of its breed thanks to its combination of a sleek form factor, a gorgeous display, and a comfortable keyboard-and-trackpad combo. The price was always its sticking point, but not today. You can grab a first-gen Surface Laptop with a seventh-generation Core i5 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, and a 128-GB SSD for only $699 at Best Buy.

• Good sound is a bliss that unfortunately far too many people deprive themselves of. We can help. The Sennheiser HD 600 is a well-known set of open-back cans with much-lauded sound quality. It has a comfortable padded headband and a detachable cable that's handy for when you inevitably trip on it. The frequency response should go from gut-shaking lows at 12 Hz to dog-whistle territory at 39 KHz. The impedance is 300 Ω, so be sure to plug these into a contemporary mobo, sound card, or headphone amp. The price is $249 at Amazon, a far cry from the $300 or more these headphones usually command.

That's all for today, folks! There's a chance you're looking for something we haven't covered. If that's the case, you can help The Tech Report by using the following referral links when you're out shopping: not only do we have a partnership with Newegg and Amazon, but we also work with Best Buy, Adorama, RakutenWalmart, and Sam's Club. For more specific needs, you can also shop with our links at Das Keyboard's shop.

• Ummagumma
    • 11 months ago

I appreciate the quality of the parts and product produced by Micron but…

…they have to do something about their Java-dependent SSD management software.

I am not sure what it is about my computer that refuses to run Micron/Crucial SSD management software, but the fact that it has to use it’s own embedded server to function on a local desktop simply makes me cringe. No amount of A/V or PC firewall tweaking seems to make it work.

Other Java-dependent software I use comes from Supermicro. I use their IPMI software. That stuff seems to work just fine; no A/V or PC firewall tweaking required. Perhaps Micron/Crucial could learn how to do that from Supermicro, eh?

I generally use Intel SSDs and Intel SSD management software. Intel software works fine except for it’s requirement to use MS Internet Exploder to access the Internet to check for updates. If MSIE is denied Internet access on your PC, then the Intel software has issues accessing the Internet, and I can reproduce that issue all day long.

Why rant about SSD management software? Is there any other reliable way to update SSD firmware other than the manufacturer’s own management tools? I wish there was.

Simply put, I like the quality of Micron/Crucial hardware and their street prices can be really good (better than Intel at times), but before I ever buy Micron/Crucial SSD products again they will need to learn how to write SSD management software Much Mo Betta!

At least the Intel management software actually loads and works and lets me manage my Intel SSDs; no A/V or PC firewall tweaking needed. I just don’t use the software’s built-in “check the Internet for firmware updates” function since that is broke when MSIE is blocked on your PC.

• Buub
      • 11 months ago

Sounds a lot like Java software in general. Maybe that was their first mistake.

• MOSFET
      • 11 months ago

I don’t dispute your experience, but I’ve never needed a firewall tweak or exception (or any special action) to install and run Crucial’s SSD software. Yes, it’s bloated and slow, and outside of firmware updates, there is NO reason for it to even be installed. It has, though, always worked without any problems, for me. At least 3 different Windows 10 PCs.

Now on the other hand, a few years ago, when I first met the Unifi controller for Windows installation process, I had very similar complaints to yours about Crucial.

• demani
        • 11 months ago

Which is what led me to believe that a CloudKey is well worth the cost to run the free software.

• davidbowser
      • 11 months ago

The management software should be used to upgrade the firmware and then uninstalled. The Crucial software has been that way for a while and I only keep it installed for the 5-10 minutes I need it.

Next time I need it, I am seriously thinking of just grabbing a spare PC from my junk pile for it.

• sweatshopking

PLEASE SEND ME A NVME DRIVE BRUNO K

• morphine
      • 11 months ago

SURE ONCE PORTUGAL’S FINANCIAL CRISIS IS OVER.

• Ummagumma

Until then…

Drink more wine!

• Krogoth
          • 11 months ago

and eat some delicious cheese……

• sweatshopking

I’LL HOLD YOU TO THAT

• morphine
          • 11 months ago

Me, my “glorious” leaders, and the European Central Bank wish you the best of luck.

• sweatshopking
            • 11 months ago

Could be worse. You could be the uk with all that mess. Eu has its issues, but the only thing worse than having it would be to not.

• Srsly_Bro
          • 11 months ago

You won’t live long enough.

• morphine

Thanks for reminding me :'(

• superjawes
    • 11 months ago

I like my HD 600, but I think you have better options at lower prices. Over at Massdrop, they have the HD 6XX (which is closer to the HD 650) for [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx<]$199[/url<]. You could also stay in this part of the Sennheiser family with the HD 58X for [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-x-sennheiser-hd-58x-jubilee-headphones<]$149[/url<]. Of course, while my HD 600 sounds great, my AKG K7XX sounds "close enough" while having a much, much more comfortable headband. Those are available for [url=https://www.massdrop.com/buy/akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-headphones<]$199[/url<], same price as the HD 6XX. Massdrop are also doing a "give $10, get $10" promo with referrals (new users get $10 credit for signing up, the referring user gets $10 when said user completes a drop). My referral link is over in [url=https://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=121545<]Hot Deals[/url<], and I am sure we have a couple more gerbils on Massdrop, so grab a link before signing up.

• XTF
      • 11 months ago

Isn’t the cord going to both sides annoying on those Sennheisers?

• morphine
        • 11 months ago

Just a little, but far less than you think. Besides, I’ll take replaceability over an extremely minor inconvenience any day.

• JustAnEngineer
          • 11 months ago

I’ve had my Sennheiser HD430 headphones for over three decades. They stay connected to my PC instead of my stereo these days, but they’re still hanging in there. The fact that I can easily buy replacement ear pads and a replacement cord today for headphones that Sennheiser produced in the mid-1980s is pretty remarkable.

• Srsly_Bro
        • 11 months ago

No, I’m not running ona treadmill, just listening to music or gaming.

• superjawes
        • 11 months ago

Nah, I’m always stationary when I’m using them. But if that really bothers you, I did like the K7XX, which only goes to one side.

• kvndoom
        • 11 months ago

Dual cords has never bothered me, but everyone has their preference.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 11 months ago

I got the HD660S earlier this year andi love it. I came from grado 225i which i traded toward the purchase.

• flip-mode
    • 11 months ago

It has been a good while since I bought my current SSD – a 256 gig Samsung 830. That thing cost something like $225 and now you can get 2 TB for that. Holy cow.

• Srsly_Bro
      • 11 months ago

I got my 830 256GB for like 169.99 on sale. Sup?

• DPete27

120GB OCZ Vertex Max IOPS = $180
      500GB Crucial BX100 = $130

• Godel
      • 11 months ago

Of course your old Samsung was an MLC and you probably couldn’t kill it with a stick. Some of these new three and four bits/cell jobs make me wonder.

• Neutronbeam
    • 11 months ago

Not knocking their quality, but the finish on the Sennheiser’s headband and earcup rims reminds me of a faux marble kitchen countertop or a bowling ball.

• morphine
      • 11 months ago

Maybe it’s as durable as either!

Fall and break your skull, but not your cans.

• G8torbyte
      • 11 months ago

The HD 58X Sennheiser version from Massdrop is a basic black & grey with a slight gloss on the headband. Not as neutral/reference as the newer 600 series but a good deal from Massdrop. I find them light and comfortable for longer wear. Using them now balanced from the XLR line-out on an RME ADI-2 DAC with a little tweaking on the EQ.